Newbies at Glasto 13

Guest Kristina_225

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth mentioning that there are free lock ups on site, run by charities. It is wise to make full use of them, particularly for visitors from abroad like yourselves, for things like passports, extra money, bank cards etc or really anything you cannot afford to lose.

The first night or two is usually the worst for tent thefts.

Hope I don't sound too gloomy, but you can safeguard your possessions by using the lock ups. They also take big items like trolleys.

Edited by shukeli

First time going to Glastonbury (and hopefully T in the Park and Isle of Wight). First time going to England (and Scotland and Ireland). First time going to a major festival alone. And, first time camping at a festival. Should be a blast.

Also from Canada.

That free lock ups thing is a lifesaver, thanks for the tip.

This is also my first Glastonbury and also coming from Liverpool way. Are the lockers worth using? At other festivals I've been put off the price. Are they trustworthy to use? Sick of having to watch my bag every two minutes in crowds, would be the perfect solution to keep important stuff locked up.

This is also my first Glastonbury and also coming from Liverpool way. Are the lockers worth using? At other festivals I've been put off the price. Are they trustworthy to use? Sick of having to watch my bag every two minutes in crowds, would be the perfect solution to keep important stuff locked up.

the lockers are free, and as far as I'm aware very secure.

Maybe you are thinking of the Aussie couple who thought it would be a good idea to leave all of their valuables (passports/money/bankcards) in their tent and then when it all got nicked on the first day they screamed blue murder on here for a week after it happened.

Pretty sure they packed up and left before even seeing a single band!

Can't praise the lockers enough, they are fantastic! I also use them like an ATM, feel so much better knowing my valubles and spare cash is safe in there. We just put in bank cards, cash etc so they put in an envelope, seal it and then you sign the seal so you know nobody has touched it. One tip i got from the staff in there is to take a pic of the reciept they give ypu with your ref. number on it so its much easier if you do lose it.

We also used the lock ups at Bestival and they made me appreciate how great the Glastonbury ones are.

Edited by coma girl

Maybe you are thinking of the Aussie couple who thought it would be a good idea to leave all of their valuables (passports/money/bankcards) in their tent and then when it all got nicked on the first day they screamed blue murder on here for a week after it happened.

Pretty sure they packed up and left before even seeing a single band!

Another advocate of the lock ups! I've used them every time and they've always been brilliant even when i lost my ticket!

Security is good at Glasto compared to other UK festivals but thefts do happen, Best stage, best camping, best after hours venue info is great but the best advice you'll get is to put anything valuable in the lock ups!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kristina,

A great bonus about Glastonbury is that there are no restrictions where you can drink your booze (unlike at other festivals) so consider bringing some can with you, a backpack to carry them in and vodka etc. to mix with coke in the evening to perk you up.

My other advice is to make sure you visit lots of different areas, and not just opt to see the bands you are interested. Different fields have completely different atmospheres, and I personally love the contrast.

although I don't work for the cider bus Company I do work on some of the main bars at Glasto so I know how tough it is and its more complicated for people from abroad due to the fact that bar staff are instructed only to accept a Full or Provisional photo card driving licence issued by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority - passport or Citizen Card - Validate UK Card - ProofGB - Young Scot { they must have a Pass hologram on it } mainly because we would not know what a American or Canadian driving licence looks like - try to use a British licence in the States and more times than not they will not accept it.
its not really how old a person is but how old they look at a quick glance from a complete stranger as bar staff don't have the time so will tend to err on the side of caution.
I know some will say ' But its Glastonbury ' - it really does not matter where it is as the bar staff are under constant scrutiny and they will ask people who are over 18 and once asked they will want to see suitable ID.

My top festival tip for any newbie: If you are concerned about an unsanitary toilet, wait for a female to exit the cubicle and use that one. In all likelihood she would have given it a thorough wipe down, and unless shes crapped all over the seat somehow (people do!) it'll be a relatively clean toilet :)

My top festival tip for any newbie: If you are concerned about an unsanitary toilet, wait for a female to exit the cubicle and use that one. In all likelihood she would have given it a thorough wipe down, and unless shes crapped all over the seat somehow (people do!) it'll be a relatively clean toilet :)

Just to readdress the balance of crime at Glastonbury,I have been going for 20 years,I think this is my 11th time and I have never had my tent robbed and none of my friends have as far as I know but we have never left any valuables in them also

In 5 years, 4 of us going, separate tents, only had a chair taken from outside the tent. We stay in a very busy campsite, not sure if that makes a difference and make good use of the lock ups.

I wonder if specific areas are targeted by the scum desperate individuals?

Glasto newbie here as well! A friend and I are coming from the US; we've been planning this trip for a while! We know we are very lucky to have snagged tickets.

We're no strangers to music festivals, but Glastonbury will be a whole new experience since we'll be limited to what we can bring.

Anyone else traveling a good distance to get to Glasto? Advice?