Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Can anyone confirm the rumours I'm hearing about Charlie Watts not wanting to play Glastonbury?

;-)

He just says he doesn't like & doesn't really want to play outdoors not that he will not do it.

Edited by whisty

Listening to a shit-tonne of Stones over the past week.

Struck me that their size, success & longevity has done them a disservice. As the tours continue and they attract more rubberneckers and day trippers the respect and interest in the more interesting corners of their discog wanes. They could play some of the less well known tunes we've mentioned but would be met with derision from the masses. They can't win.

I might get slated on here for saying this but the 4 year '68-'72 period (Beggars/Bleed/Sticky/Exile) is as productive and successful as anything Stevie produced during his much heralded run between '72 and '76. Theres been references to U2 on this thread and I don't think theyre unwarranted. About a dozen big hits from both bands have become so pervasive that the broader audience is simply unaware of the vault of quality that gets crowded out. "Its Only Rock N Roll" "Start Me Up" "Honky Tonk Women" will all be played at Glasters of course and the crowd will go ape. No accounting for taste.

Listening to a shit-tonne of Stones over the past week.

Struck me that their size, success & longevity has done them a disservice. As the tours continue and they attract more rubberneckers and day trippers the respect and interest in the more interesting corners of their discog wanes. They could play some of the less well known tunes we've mentioned but would be met with derision from the masses. They can't win.

I might get slated on here for saying this but the 4 year '68-'72 period (Beggars/Bleed/Sticky/Exile) is as productive and successful as anything Stevie produced during his much heralded run between '72 and '76. Theres been references to U2 on this thread and I don't think theyre unwarranted. About a dozen big hits from both bands have become so pervasive that the broader audience is simply unaware of the vault of quality that gets crowded out. "Its Only Rock N Roll" "Start Me Up" "Honky Tonk Women" will all be played at Glasters of course and the crowd will go ape. No accounting for taste.

Isn't that what happens when you want to draw as many £100 notes as you can. Not saying that for Glastonbury but the tour.

No one is compelling those punters to pay the 100 notes, though are they? The Stones only get away with the ticket prices because mugs (like me on two previous occasions!) are prepared to pay.

On the contrary however Glasto is quite unique for a Stones show. Same rules don't apply. Same expectations do not exist.

No one is compelling those punters to pay the 100 notes, though are they? The Stones only get away with the ticket prices because mugs (like me on two previous occasions!) are prepared to pay.

On the contrary however Glasto is quite unique for a Stones show. Same rules don't apply. Same expectations do not exist.

Expectations of a headliner with a potential crowd of more or less 100k still apply, they have to play hits to please everybody. Just how many people would pay £100 minimum to go hear a new album. Undoubtably not as many as they will pull in playing greatest hits.

they arent unreasonable points...playing drums outdoors is harder. If it's windy or if it's wet...

Plus he'll look silly wrapped in a blanket trying keep his old bones warm. That's not a snipe at his age bty I have much respect for CW, prob more so that any of the others.

I might get slated on here for saying this but the 4 year '68-'72 period (Beggars/Bleed/Sticky/Exile) is as productive and successful as anything Stevie produced during his much heralded run between '72 and '76.

It's a period that produced some very very fine music, that I still go back to regularly. It's one of the things that grips me about the Stones now - to my mind, they're pissing all over their own legacy

U2 could have done maybe a better set though I'd have gone with

[setlist]

There's not a chance they could have omitted Get On Your Boots + another track from NLOTH, though.

The best and most practical setlist I could have mustered based on 20 songs would have been:

1 Where the Streets Have No Name

2 I Will Follow

3 Until the End of the World

4 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

5 Stuck In a Moment - full band version

6 Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - acoustic

7 Beautiful Day

8 Elevation

9 Get On Your Boots

10 Vertigo

11 Out of Control

12 Sunday Bloody Sunday

13 Bad

14 Pride (In the Name of Love)

15 Moment of Surrender

16 Even Better Than the Real Thing

17 The Fly

18 Mysterious Ways

19 One

20 With or Without You

The setlist they pumped out was still stellar, though. I wholeheartedly agree that if the weather was better a lot more people would have thought it was truly brilliant.

Having said that, I was around 4 rows of people from the front and had an absolute blast. It wouldn't have been the same without the rain - I had a mate who was more towards the sound tent and said the sound wasn't carrying well, which is probably a reason for people being less enthusiastic further back.

I can see it being a similar story for the Stones. It's miles easier to put on a class performance if the weather's on your side - U2 in 2010 would have been unforgettable for most.

Edited by jimmy93

Plus he'll look silly wrapped in a blanket trying keep his old bones warm. That's not a snipe at his age bty I have much respect for CW, prob more so that any of the others.

I like Charlie. He is, and always has been, magnificently grumpy. I especially like the storu about him punching Jagger....

I like Charlie. He is, and always has been, magnificently grumpy. I especially like the storu about him punching Jagger....

Never seen that story, funny if true.

"An intoxicated Jagger phoned Watts' hotel room in the middle of the night asking "Where's my drummer?". Watts reportedly got up, shaved, dressed in a suit, put on a tie and freshly shined shoes, descended the stairs, and punched Jagger in the face, saying: "Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my fucking singer!"

Classic response :)

It's a period that produced some very very fine music, that I still go back to regularly. It's one of the things that grips me about the Stones now - to my mind, they're pissing all over their own legacy

Youve phrased it better than i did.