Green Man was my Glasto Alternative - what was yours?

Guest Mikeydread

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did two this year Latitude and Beautiful days.

Latitude was a bit of a let down. Decent enough line up but it was missing something that was difficult to put your finger on. The atmosphere was pretty lacking somehow, seemed a bit posh and nobody seemed particularly up for the bands and wasnt friendly at all.

Beautiful Days on the other hand was fantastic. Total opposite, great atmosphere all weekend and exceptionally friendly. Relatively small but it was far less tiring than I find Glasto. The prices for food and drink were more sensible and the real ale was fab. Uncrowded even for headliners at the main stage. I was on the barrier for PIL and went for a slash half way through and got back on the barrier - try that at the Pyramid ! Will probably be a regular from now on.

Really looking forward to Glastonbury 2013, think it will be my 16th and nothing quite beats it certainly for he spectrum of music. i just wish we could spread the headline acts thoughout the day rather than wanting to be in 5 places at once from teatime onwards !

We did 80s Rewind festival this year, that was interesting ,lol did not like that you can't take your own drink into the arena, people with chairs ruined the headline act as you could not get to the front but otherwise it was a good little fest. Loved seeing a few old acts :)

Yes it was a complete opposite, My brothers got tickets last year on early bird, we decided that I could not go without a fest this year so we tagged along, lol was not expecting much but it was posh,lol and expensive for food! but there were a few bands I saw theta were fab, and some were terrible, but thats like anywhere. I loved OMD, Tony Hadley and Jimmy, but I was looking forward to Kool and thr Gang as I missed them at Glastonbury last year but I didnt enjoy their set. camping was pleasent but like you say the amount of stuff people took was totally unreal, I travelled light :D

Camp Bestival - had more fun there this year than previous years. Even though the lineup wasn't my bag I found plenty of new bands to enjoy, also as not desperate to see the lineup everything became very chilled. Even managed to block out the 1000s of little kids and their Cath Kidston wearing mothers with mahoosive trolleys. My friends got re-married in the inflatable church and we had cocktails from the Young British Foody tent! Excellent grub at reasonable prices. Biggest plus? Rolf was there!

Festibelly! My favourite festy! Expanded to 2 nights- half an hour away, great bands and only £55.

I did Optimus Alive in Portugal, one of the best week's of my life. The festival site itself is small (only a few stages), but the camping was superb. Proper campsite a 10 minutes bus journey away, so it had its own bars/shops etc. Had 2/3 days either side of the festival in Lisbon too, the whole week was perfect.

Plus, headliners were Radiohead, Stone Roses & The Cure, and tickets cost £113 including booking fees. You'd pay £70 to see them all individually.

Edited by Sketchead

Don't really want to let too many people in on the secret about Shambala festival but since its been mentioned earlier in the thread i may as well back up the fact that its awesome.

Had an equally good time as ive had at Glasto, great site, good toilets, good campsite with enough room, but above all some of the most friendly attendees, no nob heads etc. Site and capacity could be a little larger but overall a great alternative and one i will be doing along with glasto next year

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been to Latitude? Not really been one I've been fussed about before but I just got offered two free tickets and they've got Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Hot Chip and Kraftwerk on the Sat so may give it a whirl. Is it any good? My impression is that it's full of middle class people with kids etc, but that the production values are pretty decent...

Went to Latitude last year as my Glastonbury alternative, really enjoyed it. Really nice location - especially inside the arena with the woods and lake.

It is quite middle-class (yes, even more so than Glastonbury ;) ).

The comedy is a big part of it. I really enjoyed it and would definitely go back. You'd be mad to turn down free tickets!

Went to Latitude last year as my Glastonbury alternative, really enjoyed it. Really nice location - especially inside the arena with the woods and lake.

It is quite middle-class (yes, even more so than Glastonbury ;) ).

The comedy is a big part of it. I really enjoyed it and would definitely go back. You'd be mad to turn down free tickets!

My cousin and I went to Beacons Festival up in North Yorkshire on its new site, really enjoyed it, and liked the East Leeds FM stage most with great local talent (they're on Tinterweb if you Google them). Would have gone this year but it was too close to my wedding. The (much) smaller venue meant I saw a lot more bands, and yes, although it was primarily music for 'them young folks', there were many cracking bands to look out for.