Football 2012-2013

Guest kaosmark2

Out of interest as a Pompey fan would most fans trade in the memories of an FA cup victory to return back to being a solid championship club, with the potential to become a yo-yo premiership/championship side. Initially my instinct would be yes to preserve the future of the club, however in reality if pompey fold they wouldnt disappear from existance. They would do the same as Wimbledon, Chester, Darlington etc and start again at a lower level. To be honest getting up to the BSP is pretty easy as Chester (a much smaller club than ponpey) have show. Once you hit the BSP things get a bit more difficult as you start getting professional clubs and only 2 promoted clubs but I think Pompey would get back to the football league without much trouble and getting promotions is enjoyable whatever level you are at.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• pink_triangle

• thetime

• strummer77

There is talk of if we were to be kicked out of the league that we would have to start in Blue Square South as any lower would become a health and safety nightmare, these teams couldnt cope with the numbers of away fans, I was at Hartlepool the other night and apprently there were reported to be 280 there... i would say there was closer to 500. If we were to be turfed out I dont think it would be quite so cut and dry and moving up the leagues so quickly, we would have players of the same standard as those around us or we would have to pay over the odds to get better players in. Lets not forget this is part of the reason we find ourselves in.

If Pompey end up in a tiny lower league, it'll be a temporary blip - don't worry too much.

I'm an Aldershot fan, a club who folded completely about 20 years ago. A new club was formed and had to work it's way back up from the very tiny leagues. It took 16 years, but got there eventually.

Helping the club on its way was the desire of players from higher leagues to play for a club that was obviously on the way back up (with those players hoping they could go with it) - and which had (for those leagues) absolutely massive crowds who the players wanted to play in front of.

Because of those massive crowds it also meant they were a club able to pay above the odds for their players (I'm guessing it was wages rather than transfer fees at that league level) - which helped encourage players to the club from higher leagues.

Looking back now its a bit of a no-brainer really. While it was scary at the time, I now realise that clubs will find their own level based on what they are. And Pompey are a club that should easily reach League One if not higher, once they have those monkeys off their back.

Just to top things off, Keith Harris and his dodgy mates ....
Orville? :P

Orville has more money than Harris and one of his backers. One is by all accounts fairly wealthy.

I just want it all to be over one way or another.

I agree with a lot of what you have said, but we are in a sorry sorry state and with all due respect our aspirations should be higher than Aldershots I think even starting again we could rise back up through the leagues, it just wont be the same I dont think.

Looking back its criminal the amount of money that went through the club and we have nothing to show for it except a roof on the Milton End, and a bit of astroturf around the side of the pitch, no training ground, no new ground... I suppose we did get these...

PompyStadium2_468x318.jpg

hmstadium1.jpg

PompyStadium3_468x306.jpg

aerial2.jpg

Edited by RobertProsineckisLighter

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="RobertProsineckisLighter" data-cid="3925935"><p>I agree with a lot of what you have said, but we are in a sorry sorry state and with all due respect our aspirations should be higher than Aldershots I think even starting again we could rise back up through the leagues, it just wont be the same I dont think.</p></blockquote><br />Oh, your aspirations should be higher than Aldershot's and I'm pretty sure that common sense - as you've mentioned above - will give you that.<br /><br />Aldershot were sometimes taking 1,000+ away fans to clubs which usually had three men and a dog as their spectators. The number of Pompey fans will get to mean that there's no chance of Pompey (current club, or a new one) being put into any league as tiny.

I'm torn on this, ask me when our future has been decided. In 2008 I went to all our cup games, and the experiance was awesome. I also did our first away game in europe (Vitoria) and as it happens our last one aswell (Wolfsburg). They were some of the best days of my life... i will certainly never forget them. For me the key factor is that the club isn't liquidated, no matter what league we are in it must be a continuation of Portsmouith Football Club the one founded in 1898.

There is talk of if we were to be kicked out of the league that we would have to start in Blue Square South as any lower would become a health and safety nightmare, these teams couldnt cope with the numbers of away fans, I was at Hartlepool the other night and apprently there were reported to be 280 there... i would say there was closer to 500. If we were to be turfed out I dont think it would be quite so cut and dry and moving up the leagues so quickly, we would have players of the same standard as those around us or we would have to pay over the odds to get better players in. Lets not forget this is part of the reason we find ourselves in.

There is a huge discrepancy in attendances in the lower league so you would end up with a far better squad (particularly in the lower league) then the vast majority of your rivals. I can understand how the thought of the non league would be terrible to a club who hasnt been there, but I guarantee as a fan you would have much more fun watching your team win every weak than struggling in league 1.

I think it's Bayern being thorough and methodical rather than Arsenal being crap.

a team like arsenal is always going to have trouble beating a team that gets 11 men behind the ball, can break fast, and who can out-pass them. In fact, any team is.

Considering that, and how off the pace they were in the first half, the fact that (with a little different luck) they might have drawn or won the game gets to show that they weren't really so bad.

Wenger should have taken Ramsey off sooner than he did, he was an obvious weak spot for the whole game. Rosciky was fantastic when he came on too.

And what's going on with Sagna this season? He's either stunning, or dreadful. He wasn't quite dreadful last night, but he was still a long way from his best.

i think sagna is carrying an injury, he looked shattered towards the end,

problem with arsenal is they dont have penetration of old, its all very good having plenty of the ball, but when its with your centre backs, its pointless,

for me, arsenal do not have enough players who take on a player and because of this, theres less space,

i know i must of banged on about this so many times but i think losing Song was massive, theres no really physical presence in their midfield so they balance is all wrong,