Friday headliner announced Monday morning

Guest dan8k

To be fair to Bestival, i don't think they are booking Florence becuase she is a pop muppett. They are booking her becuase Rob likes her, and it will also increase ticket sales!

if Rob thinks she's credible music, then fair enough - tho of course his festival gets judged on what it presents.

But if it's about selling tickets, then it's only about fleecing muppets.

I think Bestival, more than most, is dependant on his own tastes and will take chances on weirder choices ( e.g, My bloody valentine, Kraftwerk, Cure e.t.c)

I agree. Tho much of what it has are clearly fashion bands for fashionistas. About selling tickets &/or fattening out the bill, rather than anything else.

But hey, I couldn't do any better. What's a shame is that so few that run festivals get anywhere close to even being that good.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont remember as much negativity towards Florence two or three years ago. Infact there was nothing but universal praise around the time she played the Other Stage at Glastonbury and had the first album out.

I'm not sure which time on the other stage you're on about ... but for the last time, you'd definitely be wrong. While there were many lapping it up there were also loads with their fingers in their ears ... and from the comments I heard those who were lapping it up didn't know one of music's most famous songs - which says something, I think.

I am saying that all this talk of how shit Florence and her machine are, is a bit wide of the mark and she is certianly more credible than Jessie J.

Oh, she's definitely more credible than Jessie J - at least I'm able to believe that Flo thinks she's producing art and not mass-producing product.

But, being vaguely aware of Flo's claimed tastes of her own, if she was only able to take a step back and hear herself.... :lol:

jesus christ, it's only one artist playing one slot on one of the days on one of the stages. this forum is so annoying to read sometimes.

people are going on as if this one booking is going to completely change the direction this festival is going, or increase the chances of more mainstream artists/bands being booked, or completely change the audience demographic, or make it lose out on punters next year. no it won't.

whether you hate her or not, she is a credible booking. she has 2 number one albums, she writes her own stuff and she's one of the biggest and most successful contemporary artists to come out of this stupid shitty country full of moaning twats in a good few years

jesus christ, it's only one artist playing one slot on one of the days on one of the stages. this forum is so annoying to read sometimes.

people are going on as if this one booking is going to completely change the direction this festival is going, or increase the chances of more mainstream artists/bands being booked, or completely change the audience demographic, or make it lose out on punters next year. no it won't.

whether you hate her or not, she is a credible booking. she has 2 number one albums, she writes her own stuff and she's one of the biggest and most successful contemporary artists to come out of this stupid shitty country full of moaning twats in a good few years

I don't get the beef, yeah she pretty much falls on the chindie side of things but only just. She is pretty talented and I do remember a time when no criticism was aimed her way, I'll probably watch her if there is nothing else on as chances are I wont see her again. I don't see the issue with her headlining she's commercially and critically successful and at least she doesn't fall in the indie landfill side of things! Lighten up guys its only 90 minutes of 4 days.

Not too bothered, I'll be at the main stage for the xx (which I think might be a bit special in the dark) so will decide on the day whether to see Florence. 100% watching 2manydjs though so might pop to the Big Top early.

I think this booking would get a little bit less hate if the Saturday headliner was a bigger booking than New Order but then again Rob's got Stevie fucking Wonder for Sunday.

Out of interest would people have been disappointed if Flo was announced as the Sunday Big Top headliner and Orbital as the Fridy main stage headliner?

Similarly I think most people would have been delighted had Flo subbed the main stage one day and Sigur Ros been announced yesterday as the Friday headliner.

I don't think theres anything wrong with the announcements, just the order/days the acts are lining up

Out of interest would people have been disappointed if Flo was announced as the Sunday Big Top headliner and Orbital as the Fridy main stage headliner?

Similarly I think most people would have been delighted had Flo subbed the main stage one day and Sigur Ros been announced yesterday as the Friday headliner.

Out of interest, are Sigur Ros headlining anywhere else in the world? Just wondering if there was a possibility they determined the stage times themselves and were actually offered the Friday headline spot/Florence offered Sunday sub spot.

There is no way Florence would do anything but headline Bestival at this stage :P (and no I wouldn't have been happier with Sigur Ros or Orbital :P). I may dislike her but she's clearly in the right spot ...

Edited by LondonTom