Holiday!

Katster

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my hols from tomorrow after work. Going to go camping in Somerset for a week. Going to be near a little town called Pilton. Should be a peaceful relaxing week! Anyone know the area? Anything good to do or see? ;)

Woo Hoo! :D

Nope, nothing to do or see. I would cancel if I were you and stay at work. :P

On my hols from tomorrow after work. Going to go camping in Somerset for a week. Going to be near a little town called Pilton. Should be a peaceful relaxing week! Anyone know the area? Anything good to do or see? ;)

Woo Hoo! :D

Not much happening down there this time of year.

Did hear there was a bit of a bear problem but they got a fella in to sort that out...

• 3 weeks later...

Spent most of my time in Dubai feeling like a geek due to admiring the many engineering feats they've achieved over the last couple of decades.

The Maldives is probably the first place I've been where the reality matches and even exceeds the photos in the brochures. Snorkelling with turtles, sharks, and rays was great fun.

Only minor complaint the whole trip was Emirates airlines but that was it. Both hotels and places were spot on. Sea plane transfer in the Maldives was an experience!

Sounds a lot of fun TGT :)

My holiday to Brittany is now only 3 weeks away. However I am getting progressively bigger and less mobile by the minute lol. Still managing lots of walking though as long as I can rest afterwards - which should be fine on holiday. My mum has booked a boat trip with snorkeling. Fingers crossed I can take part.

Spent most of my time in Dubai feeling like a geek due to admiring the many engineering feats they've achieved over the last couple of decades.

Is there much else to do there other than look at the buildings they have constructed (and apart from shopping or sunbathing)? I'm not sure if my perception of the place is blinkered or not.

Is there much else to do there other than look at the buildings they have constructed (and apart from shopping or sunbathing)? I'm not sure if my perception of the place is blinkered or not.

Loads. Depends what you're after I guess. There's dive centres, an indoor ski slope, mosques, desert quads, spas, aquariums, museums, racing, sailing, waterparks, clubs etc etc.

Dubai is somewhere I am glad I have seen, but also somewhere I wouldn't be a rush to get back to. Oman, on the other hand....baby turtles hatching out on the beach at 4am, crazy guided wadi walks, go karts on the sand dunes, camping out on the beach, the fish market in Muskat. Amazing place.

• 2 weeks later...

I am off to travelling around baltic,

was wondering if anyone had any advice on things to do in Stockholm, Helsinki and Copenhagen?

have around half a day in each city, anything that is unmissable?

I've never been but have always fancied visiting the Christiania neighbourhood in Copenhagen. May be worth reading up on to see if it's something that would interest you.

1.5 weeks to go until Brittany. We are staying near Stonehenge on the way (I've been before, I know how shit it is, but my partner wants to see it). Still quite small considering I am now 6/7 months pregnant and managing to remain extremely mobile even in the heat. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

People keep telling me I'm mad to be going on holiday at 30 weeks pregnant. Am I? My view is if baby comes this early I will be in a mess wherever I am and what better way to relax at the moment than taking it easy on holiday surrounded by my family? Bit late anyway now I guess. The hotel/ferry/house is booked. Ciao!!

Well, I had one bad day (afternoon) when I was completed exhausted and far too hot and had to take myself off for a cry a cold shower a lie down and a cup of tea. But apart from that the whole week was wonderful and I am really glad I went.

Dinan and Lac de Guerledan were my favourite places but the whole area is so beautiful and relaxing and we were really lucky with the weather too. Swimming in the lake was my highlight. Swimming makes pregnancy easier. Ahhhhh.

Glad you had a good time Kat! I flew to New York at 30+ weeks for a family wedding and people thought I was mad too, but it was worth it!

My extended family have all spent the week together in West Cork in the place we've been holidaying for 30 years (and keep sending me updates, bastards). It's no Tenerife, but I've promised myself we'll make it there next year. Our only holiday this year is a week off to decorate the house!

T8y - I know you've decided on Thailand for next year, but I was going to suggest if Route 66 is too much, a drive around California is worth a look. Alternatively, there must be a Breaking Bad tourguide out there somewhere!

Glad you had a good time Kat! I flew to New York at 30+ weeks for a family wedding and people thought I was mad too, but it was worth it!

My extended family have all spent the week together in West Cork in the place we've been holidaying for 30 years (and keep sending me updates, bastards). It's no Tenerife, but I've promised myself we'll make it there next year. Our only holiday this year is a week off to decorate the house!

T8y - I know you've decided on Thailand for next year, but I was going to suggest if Route 66 is too much, a drive around California is worth a look. Alternatively, there must be a Breaking Bad tourguide out there somewhere!

The drive around california would be nice, but we have already been to LA, San Francisco, Venice, Malibu etc. I wanted to do a bit of a BB tour, which is obviously mainly New Mexico, but other than that, there's not much else around there unless you want to get really involved. Thailand is a definite goer, Ive been trying to book flights these last two weeks but theres nothing coming up yet.

On another note, France was superb. I can highly recommend the area we went to, its by far the prettiest part of France I have ever seen. The region is called "Charante Maritime" its very rural, although there are a few coastal towns. A mate of mine was in Royan while we were there, so we went to spend the day with them, Royan is a coastal town, very touristy, but was a nice contrast to where we were staying. We were in the middle of nowhere, and it was bliss. I'll sling a few photos up to show the best bits.

Bordeaux was lovely, I would describe it as a cross between London and Paris.

This was our house, it was lovely, really cool during the hot days, thick stone walls, but incredibly low beams in the bedrooms, which can be proven by the lumps on everyones heads!

DSC_0005.JPG

This is nearby Jonzac, a lovely little village with a couple of great restaurants, and a market, and some great little shops.

DSC_0019.JPG

This is Pons, during their "Medieval Day", it was stunningly beautiful, and a really nice day out.

DSC_0048.JPG

There were sunflowers everywhere, as far as the eye can see!

DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0186.JPG