Holiday!

Katster

France, its just too cool. We've never been to the north before (apart from Paris which I'm not keen on) but it had just as much going for it as the south (minus the guaranteed weather although we were very lucky). Having had our trailer tent delivered on Sunday i cant wait to start making plans to return next year with the baba. Sod Glastonbury, we can go for 2 weeks camping in Brittany for pretty much the same price!

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try around where we went Kat, the Dordogne/Charante region is absolutely stunning, Brittany is lovely but the weather is quite sketchy, once you get about halfway down the country - your chances of decent weather improve drastically, and you are only adding a couple of hours of driving on. We went to the Dordogne last year and it was lovely.

So as my Summer 2014 is over, and considerably less extreme than previous years, time to start planning 2015.

I'm moving to Doha on Saturday, which does put me in an advantageous financial position. So I want a motherfucker of a trip covering European festivals from start of July through end of August. Plus places to go.

I'm going to start at either Werchter or Roskilde, so any experiences of those would be useful. Then... I've only got Beacons on about 6th August booked so far. I don't particularly want to go back to Budapest for Sziget having done the last four of them.

Any recommendations?

• 2 months later...

Off to Spain on Thursday for 16 days. We were given the free use of a newly bought apartment as a wedding present. We are meeting the owners over there for 4 days, then they leave to return to the UK. Then we have a few days to ourselves before more friends come over to join us. We are also staying in Gibraltar for one night and Malaga for 3 nights. I never knew that Malaga had so much to offer in terms of interesting places to visit etc Despite the mostly free accommodation we can ill afford this holiday, but we'll enjoy it all the same. Quality time with friends is precious.

Enjoy it. Whereabouts in Spain is it

Estepona. I've seen photos of the place we are staying, and I confess it wouldn't be my first choice - to put it mildly. It's appeal to my friends is probably based on their ability to relax while not having to worry about the safety of their children too much. One of their daughters is autistic and has no concept of personal safety. Basically it's a modern complex which has things like golf courses, gyms etc attached to it. It also looks like it may have security personnel employed.

What could possibly go wrong when you drop in a pair of deviants into that mix?

Thinking of next summer, so just going to ask for some experience if anyone has any.

Amazingly enough, my summer next year will be gig and festival related. I'm probably going to hold out on the US until 2016, although if I can get cheapish flights to Montreal then Osheaga is a possibilty.

I'm flying into Gatwick on 25th June (I think- either way it's Glastonbury Friday) and basically going from there. I'm thinking Werchter, then I have to go back to the rock the week after, then after that Optimus Alive or Bilbao BBK, then Latitude or Truck (probably Latitude to be fair)... then it's a bit empty. That Osheaga fest does look tempting, but it's the cost and whether I can see Montreal as well. I'm pretty nailed on to do Off Festival in Katowice, then after that head to Budapest on the train to do the first few days of Sziget, before returning home to go to Beacons festival for my birthday party.

Then Pukkelpop/Lowlands/Rock En Seine (probably Pukkelpop) followed by a journey home for Interpol who will presumably be doing their once every four years turn at Reading and Leeds.

Suggestions on flights, things to do in between- if you can work out roughly where I'll be!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got back from aforementioned weekend in Brussels. Had an utterly fantastic time. Amazing food, amazing beer, amazing atmosphere. Brought far too much beer and chocolate on the train back, but it'll be some good nights in with mates and some easy christmas presents. Loved it and kinda gutted to be back so quickly.

Just got back from aforementioned weekend in Brussels. Had an utterly fantastic time. Amazing food, amazing beer, amazing atmosphere. Brought far too much beer and chocolate on the train back, but it'll be some good nights in with mates and some easy christmas presents. Loved it and kinda gutted to be back so quickly.

I recall stumbling about in this place, after one too many beers;

tumblr_m84ogkKXHD1rsftq9o1_500.jpg

Did you get there?

Or even, beer, waffling and steak. Talking shite over a Hoegaarden is just lovely.

We did talk so much shite. Didn't actually drink that much Hoegaarden though, we were trying to sample as many different beers as possible and we talk shite over Hoegaarden in the UK fairly often.

• 1 month later...

I'm off to Australia in June, for 3 weeks, to visit my daughter. She lives in Yarra Valley just outside Melbourne. So I'm flying to Melbourne, then we'll drive to Adelaide, fly to Darwin for a week in Northern Territories, then fly to Cairns, for a week on Great Barrier Reef & the Whitsunday Islands.

I

Cannot

Wait.

I'm off to Australia in June, for 3 weeks, to visit my daughter. She lives in Yarra Valley just outside Melbourne. So I'm flying to Melbourne, then we'll drive to Adelaide, fly to Darwin for a week in Northern Territories, then fly to Cairns, for a week on Great Barrier Reef & the Whitsunday Islands.

I

Cannot

Wait.

That sounds ace on so many levels. I love travelling as well, but to be seeing your daughter too must have shifted it all to another dimension. I'm almost giddy with excitement for you. Have a lovely trip. :)

Looks like our big yahoo away to Thailand for our anniversary is off! Our daughters a-level results day is slap bang in the middle of it, and the mrs wants to be home for it in case things get complicated for the uni process.

gutted.

so looking for something nice in europe for just a week now.

Looks like our big yahoo away to Thailand for our anniversary is off! Our daughters a-level results day is slap bang in the middle of it, and the mrs wants to be home for it in case things get complicated for the uni process.

gutted.

so looking for something nice in europe for just a week now.

Oh, that's a body blow. However, it's for a very good reason. You can go to Thailand at any time, whereas you'll only get one shot at getting your daughter in to the right university. I wish her well with her exams.