Holiday!

Katster

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How was Cuba Yoghurt? Fancy getting there before it changes. I've just come back from Honduras - was badass. lovely people (I don't speak Spanish either - so that bit was interesting!!), shit dog coming back. Still atleast festival season is nearly upon us..that keeps me going

Honduras, wow, that's out there on the places to go front. How was it?

Cuba was ace. We had a ball from start to finish. We travelled to and stayed in 5 different places. This way we got to see a lot of the countryside as well as the sea side. As well as two hotels we also stayed in casa particular's which are like B & B's where you can stay in the homes of Cubans. This was a great experience as we had much more involvement with local people as a result. I managed to fulfill a dream of being driven in Cuba in one of the very old American cars that they have there. The food was surprisingly good and all the people we met were very friendly. My fiance has fallen in love with the place and wants to go back to see more of the country. I'm not opposed to this but prefer to go to new countries to see what they are like rather than returning to ones already visited (this applies to everywhere apart from Vietnam and Thailand each of which I'd go back to at the drop of a hat).

Honduras, wow, that's out there on the places to go front. How was it?

Cuba was ace. We had a ball from start to finish. We travelled to and stayed in 5 different places. This way we got to see a lot of the countryside as well as the sea side. As well as two hotels we also stayed in casa particular's which are like B & B's where you can stay in the homes of Cubans. This was a great experience as we had much more involvement with local people as a result. I managed to fulfill a dream of being driven in Cuba in one of the very old American cars that they have there. The food was surprisingly good and all the people we met were very friendly. My fiance has fallen in love with the place and wants to go back to see more of the country. I'm not opposed to this but prefer to go to new countries to see what they are like rather than returning to ones already visited (this applies to everywhere apart from Vietnam and Thailand each of which I'd go back to at the drop of a hat).

Ah Cuba sounds friggen cool man, I need to go, will defo have to look at that, nice to know it can be done the backpacker way, as wouldn't want to do a package trip there, am the same as you, like to experience the local way as much as possible, dont wanna be stuck in a all inclusive resort. How was your spanish? Agree with you about going to different places, I loved India so much, headed there 3 times, but since then I have made sure I see different places, you have put Cuba on my list.

Honduras was dead cool - people are amazing, we flew into San Pedro Sula (murder capital of the word apparently) didn't hang around, not for that reason, just not much there, so we just backpacked along the coast, up to the ruins, then hit the bay islands, scuba diving there is one the cheapest places in the world to do it. We also hired our own island, so friggen cheap, there was 4 of us so it worked out at £25 per person per night, dude drops you off on his boat and that's it, take your own food / beer - was mad. there's a cottage / beach house on there, but that's all. it was beautiful. One of the best things I have done on my travels. Defo a place to check out..

Planning our holiday for next year, which happens to be our 20th wedding anniversary. I was looking at romantic beach holidays in Mexico and the Caribbean etc, turns out the missus has basically said "you will be bored to death after 2 days" (which is probably true) and we should do something we can get our teeth into before we are too old! We briefly talked about driving Route 66, but over 2000 miles in a fortnight will mean we won't get a chance to see much if we are driving for 4-5 hours or more every day. I really don't know. I'd love to do 66, and have always wanted to experience small town America, but just don't know if we would come back more knack erred than before we left.

Any suggestions folks?

Oops, edited to add- we will be going in August, so as much as we would love to, backpacking round Thailand isn't really the best time of year to do so

Edited by t8yman

Ah Cuba sounds friggen cool man, I need to go, will defo have to look at that, nice to know it can be done the backpacker way, as wouldn't want to do a package trip there, am the same as you, like to experience the local way as much as possible, dont wanna be stuck in a all inclusive resort. How was your spanish? Agree with you about going to different places, I loved India so much, headed there 3 times, but since then I have made sure I see different places, you have put Cuba on my list.

Honduras was dead cool - people are amazing, we flew into San Pedro Sula (murder capital of the word apparently) didn't hang around, not for that reason, just not much there, so we just backpacked along the coast, up to the ruins, then hit the bay islands, scuba diving there is one the cheapest places in the world to do it. We also hired our own island, so friggen cheap, there was 4 of us so it worked out at £25 per person per night, dude drops you off on his boat and that's it, take your own food / beer - was mad. there's a cottage / beach house on there, but that's all. it was beautiful. One of the best things I have done on my travels. Defo a place to check out..

My girlfriend had learnt a tiny bit of Spanish before we left, so that was brought into operation a few times. We also used hand gestures a number of times as well. There were a few times when we couldn't communicate but they were just at the casa particulars when we tried to talk to the staff there. We came to an early mutual understanding with the staff not to pursue those areas where clarity wasn't going to be achieved. Incidentally, we tipped the staff not the casa owners when leaving as the casa owners are very well off in comparison to their staff.

Honduras sounds very interesting, but it's the worry of a violent attack that would put me off travelling there. I don't think my girlfriend would even consider it for that reason - Cuba was her first trip out of Europe and it took a lot of persauding to get her to go there.

I went to India once and would like to go back, but yet again my girlfriend wouldn't agree to go there. She indicted that the poverty would be too upsetting for her. I have said that when I've been to these places before that I always endevour to buy goods and services off the hardest off people so that they get my money rather than someone much richer already. She agreed that that was a good policy but that she still didn't want to go there.

Planning our holiday for next year, which happens to be our 20th wedding anniversary. I was looking at romantic beach holidays in Mexico and the Caribbean etc, turns out the missus has basically said "you will be bored to death after 2 days" (which is probably true) and we should do something we can get our teeth into before we are too old! We briefly talked about driving Route 66, but over 2000 miles in a fortnight will mean we won't get a chance to see much if we are driving for 4-5 hours or more every day. I really don't know. I'd love to do 66, and have always wanted to experience small town America, but just don't know if we would come back more knack erred than before we left.

Any suggestions folks?

Oops, edited to add- we will be going in August, so as much as we would love to, backpacking round Thailand isn't really the best time of year to do so

I've been to Cancun before and would strongly advise against it as the place is just hotels and modern shops. There is very little else to do but the sun bathing thing. Fortunately for us we also went to stay elsewhere and were able to take in several Mayan ruins (eg Chichen Itza) which were the highlight of the holiday.

As per previous posts - you could try Cuba. We booked flight only and arranged our accommodation separately. This way we were able to take in the romantic beach setting thing, but also take in some interesting towns and their history etc too.

I'm persona non grata in America owing to a couple of convictions. Handily for me I have no great interest in the place, although if I had to go it would also be small town America that I would want to see also.

T8yman it's not really something we can help you with. What have you always always wanted to do? The both of you? That's what you should do.

I agree with her though, couple of days on a lovely beach and any normal person should be itching to see/do something else.

And that's coming from someone who loves beaches!

T8yman it's not really something we can help you with. What have you always always wanted to do? The both of you? That's what you should do.

I agree with her though, couple of days on a lovely beach and any normal person should be itching to see/do something else.

And that's coming from someone who loves beaches!

Its me that would be bored, she loves beaches. I have always had an allergy to the sun, but since I lost the weight I have improved a lot (dont know why) although really high temperatures don't make me happy. Its gonna be a kind of "money no object" deal although we aren't loaded. And we will still have to go during the school holidays as the kids will have to go to their grandparents.

Thailand would be awesome, but apparently its not the season to go. I may well look at cuba. I also like going seafishing for big fish, so somewhere with that as an option would really make me keen. Sun City in South Africa might be interesting, although I dont know if the scary side of SA will put us off.

You could get a bit of a safari type thing and a beach holiday doing this one, and the weather would be right;

http://www.africasafari.co.uk/tanzania/safari-tanzania-zanzibar.htm?gclid=CJLljJbB-L0CFbShtAodRwcAXA

Or maybe something more adventurous like climbing mount Kilimanjaro one week and doing a Tanzanian beach holiday the following week. You could even do the climbing bit for free if you both manage to get enough money in for the charities that offer free trips if you collect enough money for them. This would give you a financial and physical goal to achieve within the next year, and would also provide you with a sense of achievement if you succeed in climbing the mountain.

That does look smart, but its a bit rich for me I'm afraid. I was hoping for under £3k for both of us. My mate did 10 days in Maroma Beach mexico, said it was paradise. and under £3k for both of them. Thats kind of become my benchmark. I may have to review that, or set our sights a little lower.

I'm still swaying towards a USA road trip. Maybe New Orleans to Santa Barbara, finishing with a couple of days in a nice hotel on the beachfront, taking in Smalltown America and the usual touristy spots like monument valley, new mexico, austin texas, that kind of thing. Wont need to cost a fortune and we can budget day to day.

This trip looks ace, although its a lot longer and more involved that what we would do.

Has anyone been to Milan before? Going for a long weekend in a few weeks we're spending one day in Venice and planning to head to Lake Como too.

Yes to Milan. Piazza del Duomo around the cathedral is an enjoyable place to spend a few hours and the cathedral itself is pretty impressive in its own right. Be prepared though, it's an expensive place to eat and drink. Can't say much more than that - I was there to visit the San Siro (another impressive cathedral :D )

Can't say much more than that - I was there to visit the San Siro (another impressive cathedral :D )

Me too, saw Inter play, Obafemi Martins scored a hatrick and the inter fans still made monkey noises to him! Was so Grim! But the stadium was very cool. Agree on food and drink though, so expensive, but a good city. Enjoyed it.

Been to Dubai..had fun. a couple of days was enough for me though..

Could've sworn I'd replied to T8yman already. Bloody work computers

Anyway, about 3 years ago I did a 2 week road trip around Utah & Arizona (with a little bit of Nevada and Colorado). Flew in to Las Vegas, not a place I like at all, but it was cheapest to fly in to and get the best car rental deal there. I was more after the national parks, rather than small town America (I have a few freinds who live in the midwest, in small towns)From there I headed north to Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon NP, Capitol Reef NP, Arches NP. The down to a small town called Durango in Colorado, Monument Valley, Flagstaff to visit Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater (which is both awe inspiring, and awful tourist trap, whcih somehow made it even better) then back to Vegas

Missed out Canyonlands which I regret (I think thats the one on that Youtube clip. I can't play it though or I'll blow up works IT systems) and that one with the weird wave formations

This was part of a longer 3 month trip whcich also involved plane, train and boat travel all around the US and Canada, (My 3rd big US trip) This 2 weeks was the highlight though. Just amazing. Some days involved a fair bit of driving, but then I'd spend 2 or 3 nights in a place if I liked it. Accommodation was a mix of hostels where they had them, motels and couch surfing (maybe not for your your trip).

A couple of friends did Route 66 around the same time. They really enjoyed it but it seemed like a lot of that was the satisfaction of having 'done' route 66, rather than the actual trip, if you see what I mean. It's a very romantic idea, the open road, 'real' America etc, but the fact is, a lot of those small towns are quite dull, quite depressed and large parts of the midwest isn't the most interesting scenery wise.

Has anyone been to Milan before? Going for a long weekend in a few weeks – we're spending one day in Venice and planning to head to Lake Como too.

I went to Milan when my brother lived there. The Duomo is amazing and the climb up to the roof is well worthwhile. The pigeons get annoying after a while. The food and drink is expensive. I honestly don't remember much else of the city which might tell you a bit. Lake Como and the surrounding area is really, really beautiful.

Anyone been to Dubai and/or the Maldives?

Not the Maldives but I've been to Dubai. Great if you want a beach holiday and not much else. Expensive too.

Any suggestions folks?

As has been said before (I think) you could just do part of Route 66.

I would, though, really highly recommend Morocco. A couple of days in Marrakesh then a trip around the country, which is stunningly beautiful, with a night or two in the desert (think camel riding, sand boarding, fossil hunting and music around a camp fire), from there to the High Atlas Mountains (absolutely incredible night sky and great - if challenging - walking/cycling/canoeing), then to to beach. We didn't get to the beach but understand that Oualidia is supposed to be absolutely beautiful, though most go to Essouria (not sure of spelling). The people are wonderful, the food is great and everything (apart from alcohol) is really cheap. Even alcohol is around London prices in most places. It would be very, very hot in August - as would much of Route 66 - but that means everywhere is cheaper (it's their low season) and so you could afford places with really good air-con (where it's available - don't think there is anywhere in the desert but the experience would be worth the sweating!). We've been lucky enough to travel to quite a few places; Morocco is right up there with the best of them - Sri Lanka and Thailand would be the other two. I'd be happy to tell you where we stayed and who we traveled with if you pm me - I think I've done enough of an ad for the place as it is!

Edited by mandolin

• 2 weeks later...

Some great advice from you peeps, thanks. I researched Thailand a bit more in depth, as it is one place we have really wanted to visit for years. Apparently Koh Samui is lovely in August, so we are tentatively planning to do 2 or 3 days in Bangkok, then across to Koh Samui for a few days, then spend our actual 20th anniversary on Koh Panang, returning to Samui, Bangkok, then fly home. Thats the tentative plan, so if anyone has deep knowledge and wants to offer advice around those ideas, all info would be much appreciated.

Thinking of doing one of the real luxury places on Panang for our anniversary, maybe Santhiya or Anantara, they both look incredible, but rather pricey if you dont get a deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there guys! I'm gonna visit Vegas this summer to go to a rave and I want some cheap accommodations. I look up websites like booking.com and wasn't all too happy with the prices. Now I found one website, which is a bit cheaper than the others, but I've never heard of it and web-research didn't really turn up anything. Could you maybe tell me if it is legit or not? The link is here: http://las-vegas.hotelscheap.org/

Would be very thankful if you could help me xD

Don't go near them. They are shite. I hope that is a satisfactory answer for you.