• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I'm going to stay in this folly in Dorset in May;

clavell-tower-1.jpg

We actually booked it two years ago (such is the waiting list). We've paid the deposit on it and will be using our wedding gift vouchers to pay the remainder. Which is just as well because it aint cheap and we have very little money. Anyway, I can't wait to get there.

When my wife went to Dorset with her mom and step dad (who she loathes) as a child she found a large fossil. On her return to Birmingham she gave the fossil to her real dad. He kept it for years until his death. My wife turned up at her step moms house after this and said she wants nothing from her fathers estate but would like the fossil. Her step mom said that she had thrown the fossil out in the bin. To cut a long story short I'm going to see if I can find my wife a fossil and am currently praying to all the deities that I find one for her.

11 hours ago, eFestivals said:

You're going to Dorset.

If you can't find one, you're not in Dorset. :P

I do hope it's that easy. That said, I do have a question at the back of my mind that is it really ethical for a city dweller to head to the coast and start hacking away at the coastline like a man possessed. Strangely enough the folly that I am going to was actually dismantled bit by bit and re-built further inland because coastal erosion was going to wash away it's original location.

PS - I'm not really going to hack away at the coast line.

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 7:52 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm going to stay in this folly in Dorset in May;

clavell-tower-1.jpg

We actually booked it two years ago (such is the waiting list). We've paid the deposit on it and will be using our wedding gift vouchers to pay the remainder. Which is just as well because it aint cheap and we have very little money. Anyway, I can't wait to get there.

When my wife went to Dorset with her mom and step dad (who she loathes) as a child she found a large fossil. On her return to Birmingham she gave the fossil to her real dad. He kept it for years until his death. My wife turned up at her step moms house after this and said she wants nothing from her fathers estate but would like the fossil. Her step mom said that she had thrown the fossil out in the bin. To cut a long story short I'm going to see if I can find my wife a fossil and am currently praying to all the deities that I find one for her.

That looks extremely nice Yog.

2 hours ago, feral chile said:

That looks extremely nice Yog.

Yes, it's a lovely looking building inside and out. It's a Landmark Trust property. We have been fortunate to have stayed in a few of their properties over the years. We actually planned our wedding date so that it coincides with one of the cheapest times to rent these properties. I'm constantly looking at their website and day dreaming of staying in some of the places.

http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, it's a lovely looking building inside and out. It's a Landmark Trust property. We have been fortunate to have stayed in a few of their properties over the years. We actually planned our wedding date so that it coincides with one of the cheapest times to rent these properties. I'm constantly looking at their website and day dreaming of staying in some of the places.

http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/

that site's amazing. we were watching that TV programme 'a home in the country' is it? and one of the options was an apartment in a stately home.

This is the next best thing.

It'll be amazing, I'm sure :)

1 hour ago, feral chile said:

that site's amazing. we were watching that TV programme 'a home in the country' is it? and one of the options was an apartment in a stately home.

This is the next best thing.

It'll be amazing, I'm sure :)

I'm not sure about the tv programme although I know that The Landmark Trust did have a few programmes on about their work not so long ago. It's a real privilege to stay in these places which have so much history attached to them. :)

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I'm not sure about the tv programme although I know that The Landmark Trust did have a few programmes on about their work not so long ago. It's a real privilege to stay in these places which have so much history attached to them. :)

Yes, I've just spent an enjoyable half hour or so looking at that website, I even sent the link to my daughter. :)

1 minute ago, feral chile said:

Yes, I've just spent an enjoyable half hour or so looking at that website, I even sent the link to my daughter. :)

It's amazing how many people don't know about the Trust. I like to inform people of it because I was blessed that somebody informed me of it in the first place. In my dreams I'm going to go to everyone of their properties in this country. Not so fussed about the sprinkling of properties that they have abroad. :)

23 minutes ago, LondonTom said:

I am going abroad for the first time since 2008!! Going on a big family trip for a week to Tenerife at an all inclusive place, so bit of a beach/hotel holiday.

Slightly nervous of flying again, really hurts my ears you see! Rather than being scared of impending doom or anything =p

Hello Tom

Hope you have a great time in Tenerife. I've been there once myself and ended up on a very strange taxi ride (but that's another story for sometime later). Anyway, have a read of this;

http://patient.info/health/ears-and-flying

55 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Tom

Hope you have a great time in Tenerife. I've been there once myself and ended up on a very strange taxi ride (but that's another story for sometime later). Anyway, have a read of this;

http://patient.info/health/ears-and-flying

Thanks! I've tried most of the remedies in the past ..but none seem to really do anything. Just one of those things you have to put up with for half hour or so I guess =p 

16 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

the Landmark Trust is just another way of hiding subsidies for rich bastards, plus some jobs for the rich bastards who've fallen on (their version of) 'hard times'. ;)

And letting people like you pretend you're just like them, by letting you live (just) a weekend like them at huge expense to yourself to benefit...? Them.

Just think how much better the country might be if instead of spending tens of millions each year to maintain properties of the rich and to keep an exclusion zone for them, if that same money was spent on properties for the poor and the land freed up for use by people and not the privileged.

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the Landmark Trust is just another way of hiding subsidies for rich bastards, plus some jobs for the rich bastards who've fallen on (their version of) 'hard times'. ;)

And letting people like you pretend you're just like them, by letting you live (just) a weekend like them at huge expense to yourself to benefit...? Them.

Just think how much better the country might be if instead of spending tens of millions each year to maintain properties of the rich and to keep an exclusion zone for them, if that same money was spent on properties for the poor and the land freed up for use by people and not the privileged.

I see your point, but it would be a shame of all these historic old buildings were lost to decay.

14 hours ago, eFestivals said:

It's odd but I have to agree with Barry on this one. I don't pretend to be like the rich. I just enjoy reading about and staying in historical buildings. This allows me to do that. What's the difference financially whether I do that or stay in a hotel for a holiday. You've stayed in a hotel for a holiday, right? Well, why did you give your money to the capatalists then? And as feral says many of these buildings would have been lost to the nation if The Landmark Trust hadn't saved them. And there is no vetting process in order to be able to rent one of their properties - you just book it up on line like you would a holiday cottage for the family for a week. 

18 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It's odd but I have to agree with Barry on this one. I don't pretend to be like the rich. I just enjoy reading about and staying in historical buildings. This allows me to do that. What's the difference financially whether I do that or stay in a hotel for a holiday. You've stayed in a hotel for a holiday, right? Well, why did you give your money to the capatalists then? And as feral says many of these buildings would have been lost to the nation if The Landmark Trust hadn't saved them. And there is no vetting process in order to be able to rent one of their properties - you just book it up on line like you would a holiday cottage for the family for a week. 

Yes,, I enjoyed looking around Dyffryn House and Gardens, despite the bittersweet knowledge that it was possible because of an industry that my forefathers paid for with the sweat off their backs:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dyffryn-gardens/features/the-industry-that-made-dyffryn-possible

Edited by feral chile