• Replies 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetime

• mrtourette

• Mouseboy11

• the wonderwhy

Oh I totally agree. The young dead rock star sells records & creates some what of a legacy, you only have to look at Lennon or Cobain (prime examples) to see it's as simple as that. Richey's situation was rather fascinating also, resulting in many conspiracy theories and 'sightings', so it's easy to see why it helped their sales.

Entirely this.

The difference in my opinion is whilst the Manics remain a big draw with the older crowds due to being 'legends', Stereophonics are hardly "down with the kids" these days, nor would I consider them to be 'legends' that connect with an older generation of fans in the way that the Manics, Pulp, etc do... So that's why I'd say Manics are more likely to be booked at a festival like R&L.

But this may just be my take on it.

Lennon was hardly a 'young rock star' when he died and The Beatles were the biggest band this country has ever produced long before he passed. And Nirvana were arguably the biggest band in the world before Kurt died. I kind of get what you mean about the legacy part but both sold a massive amount of records in their respective lifetimes.

Lennon was only 40 when he died, I'd say that's pretty young all things considered...

Besides my argument was not about the size of the bands prior to the incidents, I'm well aware how big the Beatles & Nirvana are/were. I was merely pointing out that in situations such as Lennon, Dimebag, Richey Edwards, Cobain, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Hendrix, Amy Winehouse etc... their deaths were met with wide scale media attention, a rise in their respective album sales (regardless of how big they were prior, each case is individual) & what many people consider to be a legacy cementing them as 'icons' which in turn continues to sell records. I wasn't for a second suggesting that Lennon's death is the only reason he continues to shift records from beyond the grave.