The Dirty Independence Question

Kyelo

I think everyone's being overoptimistic with the turnout. I'd love it to be 80%+ but I just can't see it. I think it'll be a narrow no victory with something around 70% turnout. The sort of result that isn't conclusive and just leads to tension, which is exactly what would be wrong for everyone.

i think the turnout will be high - something around the normal electoral roll registration rate - but I'm thinking that many of the newly registered who haven't been voting for years won't actually follow thru. They couldn't be bothered previously, and some at least won't be too bothered now.

For the record i have not achieved this by sharing Neil's Bullshit nor Alec Salmond's bullshit.

Not Alex's? So you've told them you're out of the EU, and won't have a CU? That your ecomony is more fucked than rUK's that sort of thing?

Mine is not bullshit, as those numbers complied by Salmond gets to prove.

Your inability to understand simple tables does not make you correct. :lol:

You are the McCrone report hider, and I claim my five pounds. :P

-----

In all seriousness LJS, I thank you for your contributions here, and your willingness to stand behind your views even tho I disagree with them. You haven't run away from the words, even tho you've often chosen to run away from facts - even ones you originally presented yourself at timess.

I just saw an interview with alex salmond where it was pointed out that his argument of 'we don't get the government we vote for' is rubbish as for 13 out of the last 17 years we've had a labour PM and a majority of scottish MPs being labour.

Alex's rebuttal was that for his 60 years on earth for about half the time the government has been Tory as opposed to the majority of scottish labour MPs.

However isn't that just democracy in a FPTP society?

that's democracy under any rules.

In the Scottish Parliament, over half the people still don't get the govt they've voted for.

And yet again Salmond's rhetoric is exposed as hollow, and yet again the yes-ers make up facts out of nothing and go with them.

To me it underlines salmonds hypocrisy. He'll say whatever suits his campaign no matter the evidence or consequences.

Yup.

Does anyone think he'll stop doing that with the end of the campaign? Or will he keep up with the lies?

Will rUK's sovereign decision to not have a CU be accepted by another sovereign state as it should be, or will that sovereign state say that that the sovereign will of the people of Scotland compels every other state to do iScotland's bidding, and the the English are being nasty to poor little hard done by Scotland?

Edited by eFestivals

& a sincere thanks to everyone on here. I won't name names in case I miss anyone out. Although the debates have been robust. They have been mercifully free of the zealots you find elsewhere.

Bu choir (gaelic for 'it should) there is apparently no word for "yes" in Gaelic

No planned exit polls for this then? Stupid scots.

unless they had them at every polling station, they'd be pretty meaningless.

-----

I'm worried about how some yes-ers might react to a no vote - the number of people I've seen who are insisting the polls are wildly wrong is quite scary.

The polls might be wildly wrong of course, but much more likely to be wrong is the impression any individual might be getting from their own personal bubble-world - which is what is causing those people to think the polls are wildly wrong.

----

Perhaps related to what I say just above, but also perhaps not ..... whatever the result, I'm thinking there's going to be stuff on TV of some Scots burning the Union Flag in the streets, in the proper middle-eastern styleee. :lol:

just a bit more data that rolled in after i'd left my desk last night....

OIL REVENUES AS % OF TOTAL PUBLIC SPENDING

Scotland vs the UK

Scotland: geographical share of oil revenues

Year ... Scotland ... the UK

1999 ... 6% ... 0.7%

2000 ... 12% ... 1.3%

2001 ... 12% ... 1.4%

2002 ... 11% ... 1.2%

2003 ... 8% ... 0.9%

2004 ... 10% ... 1.1%

2005 ... 16% ... 1.8%

2006 ... 14% ... 1.6%

2007 ... 13% ... 1.3%

2008 ... 20% ... 2.0%

2009 ... 10% ... 1.0%

2010 ... 13% ... 1.3%

2011 ... 16% ... 1.6%

2012 ... 9% ... 0.9%

----------------

Data: Scottish government's projects SNAP and GERS

Scotland will be fine when the oil's gone, there's no need to worry about the future. :P

After all, the Scottish NHS will have funds galore, even tho it costs Scotland less than the oil contributes. ;)

Edited by eFestivals

Yep, I wouldnt want to be an englishman in scotland today that's for sure.

My bruv and his missus are off to Scotland very soon, perhaps. Their original plan was to go yesterday, until their brains kicked-in.

They've instead decided to wait until Friday lunchtime-ish to see what the situation might be before deciding when to go.

Great speech from gordon brown. He's come out of this whole thing with a lot of credit. I still cant help but like him a bit.

here's betting that iScotland will be begging for him to be their PM to try and bail them out of the shit they're in, before the end of 2016.

Edited by eFestivals

Just reading about how the renewable energy sector is absolutely fucked in the event of a Yes vote, as scotland simply wont be able to afford to pay the subsidies to get the projects started. At the moment these costs are spread across the whole of the UK.

A yes vote is a vote for global warming. Thanks alex!

what's so laughable is just how much the yes side has been playing up the renewables side of things. :lol:

There's not any major part of Salmond's plans or yes-ers hopes that's not a crock of shit. As I've said many times, grand hopes won't pay the bills.

The in-laws are heading down for a visit in a fortnight. Best get their passports up to date!

that would be a waste of money. Their UK passports will be invalidated before the end of March 2016.

The chances of dual Scottish/rUK nationality being allowable is incredibly slim.

It's actually contrary to the Vienna Conventions for separation, but more than that, it's simply impractical for it to happen. There will need to be a means of knowing who 'belongs' to which country for administration purposes - the most major one being who is liable to pay that person's state pension.

Edited by eFestivals

Apparently the Grindr community will vote No :P

or just not care:

BxzX-yYIgAAlki-.png

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/good-afternoon-horny?s=mobile

Prediction:

Late but I've not seen any news apart from here on how its going :P But 56% No, turnout 73%.

At the end of the day, we all need each other to some extent and I can't see what having another division by the ruling classes will help achieve for either side of the border.

Edited by LondonTom