The Cure?

Guest cheeseisamazing

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its weird as The Cure, I believe, are a band that arent big enough to headline but wouldnt seem right anywhere else but in a headlining spot. I know people may take offense to such a comment but just remember that they are not really a band that would sell massive amounts of tickets to young music fans. I'm only 20 and love them, but I've soon too many classic bands at Reading having offensively small crowds.

Are we arguing what a headline act should be or would be? Because the two are completely different. Too many arguments for The Cure are based on subjective opinions of how good they are, fuck me when was being a great band the only qualifier for being a headliner?

lol at the peeps thinking The Cure don't have the 'demographic' at R&L to headline. Don't people remember the absolutely tiny crowd that Arcade Fire got? At Leeds you could literally walk down to the front & get 2 rows from the barrier...and that's a band that are getting NME hype, radio play etc.

Some of the people in this thread are clearly on crack.

The Cure are by far and away 'big enough' to headline. They are The Cure.

The Cure will not subheadline or headline NME because why would they? What reason is there for them to do that?

The Cure are timeless, and have a national treasure vibe to them. Everyone knows at least 5 songs.

The Cure still sell out arenas worldwide, and are headlining every festival they are playing this year.

They are the fucking Cure.

If they headline. I'm there.

Some of the people in this thread are clearly on crack.

The Cure are by far and away 'big enough' to headline. They are The Cure.

The Cure will not subheadline or headline NME because why would they? What reason is there for them to do that?

The Cure are timeless, and have a national treasure vibe to them. Everyone knows at least 5 songs.

The Cure still sell out arenas worldwide, and are headlining every festival they are playing this year.

They are the fucking Cure.

If they headline. I'm there.

Vieuphoria, on 03 February 2012 - 12:00 PM, said:

Everyone Knows Friday i'm in love (Its even on the video for that fucking Rebbecca black song)

But don't edge your bets on people naming more than that song

You're telling me a music fan who grew up in England doesn't know The Lovecats? Just Like Heaven? Friday I'm In Love? Boys Don't Cry? Close To Me? Most people in this country has heard these songs. The fact that Pulp and Madness outdrew and outperformed the headliners last year proves that timeless national treasures always trump My Chemical Romance.

Edited by mrtourette

R&L are unlike other fests though in the fact that they'll always get a decent number of young customers who'll buy tickets regardless who's playing, just because it's a post-exam blow out. The rest of the tickets are snapped up by the normal festie goers who'll check other line-ups & decide which fest to opt for. Last year they didn't sell quickly due to the lack of drawing power of Pulp & My Chemical Romance to the casual attendee. The Cure will shift a shedload of day tickets so it's a safe booking to appeal to those people who wont just buty a ticket because it's Reading/Leeds.

Lucky then that MCR aren't headlining this year.

Unless a number of people that have posted here over the last day are lying, then yes there are music fans who attend R&L that don't know five songs by The Cure. You said everyone at first and now you're saying most people, keep going in that direction, I think it's probably less than half the people that attended R&L last year that would be able to name five songs by them.

Also Pulp were a headliner, and did Madness really outdraw and outperform Muse?

If The Cure headlined and Bloc Party subbed someone else it would be interesting to see the size of the crowds, I bet it'd be a lot closer than you think. National treasure doesn't always trump the young upstarts.

This.

They sold out their Royal Albert Hall gig with Standing Tickets at £100 a piece I believe with no problem at all.

which is a relatively small venue, and they only do a show there and nowhere else till the next year.

There's a big difference between selling out the occasional small show to your hardcore fans and being able to sell out a festival. The Cure are not the huge draw that a sell-out like that might suggest.

All that aside I think they're a decent booking for R/L and won't cause it to sell slowly.

Edited by eFestivals

which is a relatively small venue, and they only do a show there and nowhere else till the next year.

There's a big difference between selling out the occasional small show to your hardcore fans and being able to sell out a festival. The Cure are not the huge draw that a sell-out like that might suggest.

All that aside I think they're a decent booking for R/L and won't cause it to sell slowly.