The Cure?

Guest cheeseisamazing

I know it's not the biggest venue, 10k ish?

about half that - around 5,000.

But for the price tickets were going for they were snapped up very well and I have nothing to say this is true but I'd hazard a guess if it was a bigger venue, they'd have gone too. It wasn't a case of get on easily by all accounts, there were huge queues for them and many who missed out, phone lines jammed the lot and at a £100 for a satanding ticket for a top price ticket at £125 i think? That's good going.

Selling a very occasional show to your hardcore of fans is pretty easy when you have the sorts of cultish fans that The Cure have.

I've got no doubts that if they were to announce a UK-wide tour of the venues just under Arena size it wouldn't sell out (tho probably wouldn't bomb either). And if they announced a tour like that year on year those tours would bomb.

The perception of big popularity is maintained by a combination of very rare UK shows (about one a year is the average) along with their obsessive hardcore of fans.

Edited by eFestivals

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about half that - around 5,000.

Indeed it is, my mistake there, was only saying about it being 5 yesterday, how a nights sleep changes thought haha.

Selling a very occasional show to your hardcore of fans is pretty easy when you have the sorts of cultish fans that The Cure have.

I've got no doubts that if they were to announce a UK-wide tour of the venues just under Arena size it wouldn't sell out (tho probably wouldn't bomb either). And if they announced a tour like that year on year those tours would bomb.

The perception of big popularity is maintained by a combination of very rare UK shows (about one a year is the average) along with their obsessive hardcore of fans.

The Cure could easily sell out a small arena tour in the UK of 3-4 dates in arenas of a capacity 7-10,000. With that RAH date we're talking about, it sold out in 2 minutes and I was placed in a queue for 30,000 on the website. Not saying they are a massive draw but if they had 20,000-25,000 tickets for sale in UK venues then they would easily sell out.

When they played in Wembley Arena (about 11,000) in 2008, they sold it out again in about 5 minutes (they didn't even sell it out in 2000 when they played there) and really should have added another date as it sold out so quickly, they should have added a lot more dates to that European tour.

Edited by beau1

But if R&L was their ONLY UK show of 2012?

Bestival didn't sell out until Aug. Bestival is 30,000+ smaller.

Bestival is easier in some ways (price, specifically) to sell and harder in most others. So I'd expect The Cure to have a bigger impact on sales at R/L than they did at Bestival but perhaps a smaller proportional impact.

Part of the problem around them is that a fair number of people that would buy a ticket for a standard gig will probably swerve them at festivals, particularly festivals (such as Bestival & R/L) where there's a pretty tight age demographic (compared to others such as Glastonbury where you see many more of an older age).

Bestival didn't sell out until Aug. Bestival is 30,000+ smaller.

Bestival is easier in some ways (price, specifically) to sell and harder in most others. So I'd expect The Cure to have a bigger impact on sales at R/L than they did at Bestival but perhaps a smaller proportional impact.

Part of the problem around them is that a fair number of people that would buy a ticket for a standard gig will probably swerve them at festivals, particularly festivals (such as Bestival & R/L) where there's a pretty tight age demographic (compared to others such as Glastonbury where you see many more of an older age).

Issue of taste but yes, personally I would rather have a lot of other bands headline rather than Muse, I don't know about Vieuphoria. I don't really like Muse, you don't really like The Cure but you wouldn't see me going to a Muse thread and saying 'Lets all just hold hands and hope its not Muse' like a bellend.

Some of the people in this thread are clearly on crack.

The Cure are by far and away 'big enough' to headline. They are The Cure.

The Cure will not subheadline or headline NME because why would they? What reason is there for them to do that?

The Cure are timeless, and have a national treasure vibe to them. Everyone knows at least 5 songs.

The Cure still sell out arenas worldwide, and are headlining every festival they are playing this year.

They are the fucking Cure.

If they headline. I'm there.

Yes, Muse (for the next few years or so) will not play a festival smaller than Glasto, T, V, IOW or R+L. Maybe when the next few albums are shit and they start to lose popularity they'll settle for the smaller festivals but for now I don't believe they'll play festivals similar to Bestival, Rockness etc.

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime