Taking to the streets on March 26th - Cuts protest

Guest 5co77ie

I posted this elsewhere and then someone suggested I start this thread. Good idea as I wonder how many eFestivallers will be taking to the streets of London to protest about the cuts.

I hope as many people as possible take to the streets for flagship demonstration against coalition government cuts at the March for the Alternative on Saturday 26 March

We will gather at 11am at the Victoria Embankment and then march to Hyde Park for a rally.

Edited by 5co77ie

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not directly related to the strike but this has incensed me to a greater degree than I was already about the cuts - the Tories are removing the need for UK-based multinational companies to pay corporation tax on their foreign branches. Currently companies pay the difference between the prevailing rate in the country of the branch (if lower) and the UK rate to HMRC. Following the Finance Bill 2011 they will pay no UK tax on those profits.

This kind of thing makes the cuts even harder to bear, just flagrant support of multinationals at the expense of the public. The Finance Bill even states that "The primary benefit of this proposal will arise in two sectors: banking, which currently makes greatest use of foreign branches and general insurance where we expect use to increase."

To us, it's an obscure shift of tax law. To the City, it's the heist of the century

This needs to be better publicised!

Not directly related to the strike but this has incensed me to a greater degree than I was already about the cuts - the Tories are removing the need for UK-based multinational companies to pay corporation tax on their foreign branches. Currently companies pay the difference between the prevailing rate in the country of the branch (if lower) and the UK rate to HMRC. Following the Finance Bill 2011 they will pay no UK tax on those profits.

This kind of thing makes the cuts even harder to bear, just flagrant support of multinationals at the expense of the public. The Finance Bill even states that "The primary benefit of this proposal will arise in two sectors: banking, which currently makes greatest use of foreign branches and general insurance where we expect use to increase."

To us, it's an obscure shift of tax law. To the City, it's the heist of the century

This needs to be better publicised!

As part of the build-up to the TUC National Demonstration Against the Cuts (26 March 2011), Hackney Labour Party is holding a Members’ Rally Against the Cuts.

This is your chance to hear how the Conservative-led Government’s cuts will impact nationally, in London and here in Hackney, and how to get involved in the campaign to stop them.

The event will be held on Tuesday 1st March - registration is at 7pm for a prompt 7.30pm start - at the Assembly Hall, Stoke Newington Town Hall, Church Street, N16.

Speakers will be:

·         Ken Livingstone, Labour Candidate for Mayor of London

·         Meg Hillier MP (Hackney South & Shoreditch), Shadow Secretary of State for Energy & Climate Change

·         Diane Abbott MP (Hackney North &Stoke Newington), Shadow Minister for Public Health

·         Jules Pipe CBE, Mayor of Hackney

Interesting link though - there were 400,000 people on the CA march in 2002...how many will be on this one...?

There were only that many on that march because the CA got them there on the basis of lies.

It was billed as a march for countryside rights but what it really was was a march for foxhunting - something a large proportion of those marchers were against. ;)

Edited by eFestivals

PS: I wonder if Dave Moron will be consistent, and advise his own govt to take notice of the protests and act on them, as he's been telling others to do. :lol:

Dave Moron's days are already numbered. All he has to offer is spin, and it's being exposed as that much more that than ever happened with Bliar at his worst. Every day now there's stories about how even the most traditional of tory supporters are disgusted at him saying one thing but doing another. After a queue of people who've been lied to about the plans for "The Big Society", the latest are the Army.

But I had to laugh at the AFF rep who was the on the BBC this morning, complaining at cuts being made to them while "we're fighting in Afghanistan" they're doing the job they're paid to do.

People might start get the idea that they're just another public service being slaughtered to fulfil the tory idealogical nightmare. :lol:

Edited by eFestivals

Know nothing Neil has it completely arse about face - what a surprise.

Yeah, I know nothing despite living in the countryside for the majority of my life, and only the City dweller knows the score with the countryside. :lol:

Here's a fact for you: Michael Eavis took a number of people to the march. They were all against fox hunting. I guess he got it wrong too. :lol:

Edited by eFestivals

Well done Scott, I was going to start this thread today if you hadn't got round to it. :)

I, of course shall be there supported by my Daughter, who's getting a few protests under her belt for one so young.

As for my 'other half'…..not sure, I think he might be washing his hair….or something. :ph34r:

Yeah, I know nothing despite living in the countryside for the majority of my life, and only the City dweller knows the score with the countryside. :lol:

Here's a fact for you: Michael Eavis took a number of people to the march. They were all against fox hunting. I guess he got it wrong too. :lol:

6 of us then… :huh:

It makes me laugh, or is that cry that so many people sit on here pontificating all day, spewing your 'right on' ( not you Gay Tent :rolleyes: ) political views but can't be bothered to get off your arses to support a demonstration against this vicious attack on our public services, welfare state, state, people.

:(

It makes me laugh, or is that cry that so many people sit on here pontificating all day, spewing your 'right on' ( not you Gay Tent :rolleyes: ) political views but can't be bothered to get off your arses to support a demonstration against this vicious attack on our public services, welfare state, state, people.

Strangely, I agree with much of that. Apathy is a terrible thing.

Still, if people can't be bothered to get off their arse to mark an 'X' in a box on polling day at their local station, are we surprised that people can't be bothered to (potentially) travel a long way to attend a rally?

Your Eavis fact substantiates my opinion, and that of the CA. Not yours.

Yeah, the fact of him being against foxhunting makes that march a march of people supporting foxhunting. :lol::lol:

The facts of the matter are, that if more people realised what the aims of the CA were than actually did, more people would have attended than actually did.

Yeah, cos there's 30M+ people out foxhunting every weekend, eh? :lol::lol:

Every single independent survey done in the last 15+ years has shown that the vast majority of people in this country are against foxhunting.

That's an irrefutable fact that the CA refuse to accept, as you do.