The Walking Dead

luckysalt

Just watched this episode. The problem seems to be that to keep interest they have to keep trying to out do the shock value and now they are onto the 7th season its just getting ridiculous. I wonder whats coming next? Punishment rape for the women in the group maybe? 

We've seen characters stop zombie heads into the ground, cannibalism, human on human killing before. I just don't understand everyone's uproar about the violence. 

It's not like it's unexpected or like it was particularly harrowing.

Is it because it's the first episode back and you'd all forgotten what it was like?

As for not knowing where the show is going, it's now leading to a huge new section never touched on before and these deaths are the reason so that argument is bullshit.

The episode just shown was the end to the two parter from last series, this series really begins next week.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

We've seen characters stop zombie heads into the ground, cannibalism, human on human killing before. I just don't understand everyone's uproar about the violence. 

It's not like it's unexpected or like it was particularly harrowing.

Is it because it's the first episode back and you'd all forgotten what it was like?

As for not knowing where the show is going, it's now leading to a huge new section never touched on before and these deaths are the reason so that argument is bullshit.

The episode just shown was the end to the two parter from last series, this series really begins next week.

I think it's because the group were completely beaten. And were forced to watch.

It was the sheer powerlessness of it.

I'm always surprised when fans say they hate it (apart from the obvious contradiction). I think the writers get the emotional response they aim for.

beating Glenn over the head and then leaving him to remain alive and speak with his eye bulging out was pretty hard to watch, but that bit's taken directly from the comics so it's hard to really complain about - fans were given exactly what they wanted

i agree that it was definitely the sheer helplessness of it all that's got people so riled up. in previous occasions people have had every chance to run but through their own stupidity got caught and maimed. this time 'round, no chance to run - just kneel, get head beaten in/watch somebody get head beaten in, deal with it. try and do something about it? more heads beaten in

i thought the most harrowing bit of the episode was Negan almost making Rick cut Carl's hand off. Rick's begging was the bit that hit me the most, so much so that i couldn't tell if the guy was overacting to a ridiculous extent and it was hilarious or if he was absolutely nailing that bit as i'd never seen anybody in such a traumatic state

people watching the show and now saying 'too far' is pretty ridiculous though. yes it was hard to watch, but it's a show about the end times of the earth and how it can turn people, not happy families sitting around a dinner table

Edited by FloorFiller

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

beating Glenn over the head and then leaving him to remain alive and speak with his eye bulging out was pretty hard to watch, but that bit's taken directly from the comics so it's hard to really complain about - fans were given exactly what they wanted

i agree that it was definitely the sheer helplessness of it all that's got people so riled up. in previous occasions people have had every chance to run but through their own stupidity got caught and maimed. this time 'round, no chance to run - just kneel, get head beaten in/watch somebody get head beaten in, deal with it. try and do something about it? more heads beaten in

i thought the most harrowing bit of the episode was Negan almost making Rick cut Carl's hand off. Rick's begging was the bit that hit me the most, so much so that i couldn't tell if the guy was overacting to a ridiculous extent and it was hilarious or if he was absolutely nailing that bit as i'd never seen anybody in such a traumatic state

people watching the show and now saying 'too far' is pretty ridiculous though. yes it was hard to watch, but it's a show about the end times of the earth and how it can turn people, not happy families sitting around a dinner table

I'm under the opinion of the latter when it comes to that scene with Rick and Carl. That snot bubble! 

Just now, Andre91 said:

I'm under the opinion of the latter when it comes to that scene with Rick and Carl. That snot bubble! 

The whole 'chop off his hand or I'll kill everyone, including him' reminded me of 'Sophie's Choice'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie's_Choice_(film)

She reveals to him that, upon arrival at Auschwitz, she was forced to choose which one of her two children would be gassed and which would proceed to the labor camp. To avoid having both children killed, she chose her son, Jan, to be sent to the children's camp, and her daughter, Eva, to be sent to her death.

#spoileralert feral :P

Another one who doesn't get the outcry. But I'm also not a huge fan of the show, so those characters biting the dust didn't really have much impact, nor did the game Negan was playing with Rick. If Coral died next week I wouldn't mind in the slightest!

Negan though - he makes me excited about the show for the first time in a while. And not just because of JDM :wub: 

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah I agree with all of this. I cant remember seeing anything on telly more brutal than glenn's death. I'm not complaining - it was gripping telly - but I have no idea how people can watch that and think it was not extremely gruesome. I guess people are desensitised nowadays.

Then again, seeing that awful kid get ripped apart by zombies while holding his mums hand in alexandria was pretty horrific too. Admittedly I was cheering at the top of my lungs as I hated that little prick......I guess people getting killed by zombies is easier to watch than people being killed by humans as it's less realistic.

47 minutes ago, bunique said:

#spoileralert feral :P

Another one who doesn't get the outcry. But I'm also not a huge fan of the show, so those characters biting the dust didn't really have much impact, nor did the game Negan was playing with Rick. If Coral died next week I wouldn't mind in the slightest!

Negan though - he makes me excited about the show for the first time in a while. And not just because of JDM :wub: 

oh yeah, sorry.

damn can't edit now either. Well, it is old.

Edited by feral chile
  • Upvote 1

In the context of this thread, there has just been a scene in The Fall that I found much more disturbing than TWD's latest episode - I think because it's a programme rooted in reality rather than fantasy. 

10 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

I really do think this is it, as to why so many have reacted so differently to this episode, as well as the psychological, tortuous nature of it all.

This is why in Germany computer games have you killing Zombies with green blood and so on (I'm thinking back to 90s games like Carmageddon here, but I think that zombie mode in games like COD have the same reasoning).  The belief is that it is acceptable to participate in killing aliens, zombies, animals for fun, but not living, breathing, thinking, feeling humans.

Confused as hell for the first 15 minutes as couldn't remember where carol and Morgan ended up at the end of the last series so have no idea how they ended up where they were. Pretty dull all round though I liked their attempts to poison Negan's crew. 

Late back to this thread so i'll post thoughts on both episodes:

Episode 1

I honestly thought they'd drag it out until the end of the episode and expected more people to be angry but we got the reveal mid way through. 

Seeing Rick on the back foot was somewhat unsettling having got use to him being a badass.

The reveal was a shock, I wasn't expecting them to follow the comic after the whole thing of him avoiding death last season. I also liked Abe so that was grim. It was brutal and I guess because of how TV works in the US it would seem more so but I thought it was done exactly right. They've set up Negan perfectly, he seems unbeatable at this moment in time.

The makeup for the death scenes were magnificent, the eyeball looked great, i'd be interested to see how close that is to the source material.

Seeing the group on under someone else's rule is going to be very interesting.

Episode 2

I expected a Carol/Morgan episode and I expecting it to be a "talky" one. At first I thought the actor playing Ezekiel was overacting all of his scenes but they explain this later in the episode.

I thought it was interesting to see another group and how the operate under Negan's rule. 

Are we going to see Morgan turn into a mentor for that kid?

The whole Carol playing the innocent middle age woman with the "Gee Whiz" and "Good Golly" style speech is beginning to annoy me, we've seen it a few too many times now.

I think Carol's story has become very strange but I want to know what is going on with her.

First episode was great but not amazing, it hit the right spots though and was very much edge of your seat TV which a show like this should be.

Second was more of the standard WD setup episode that we've come to expect now. It wasn't horrible but not going to be a memorable one.

I actually enjoyed it.

I thought the abysmal over-acting by both Carol and Ezekiel was made worthwhile with the "you can't bullshit a bullshitter" scene.  His ludicrous quazi-shakespearean monarch act was as ridiculous as Carol called it after and she didn't seem to realise that her own ludicrous helpless housewife who's seen horror act was the same.

Carol comes across now as some sort of sociopath, someone who will portray herself to others entirely according to how she believes she can play them to her own best advantage, rather than someone who reveals her true self, which makes me question her actions throughout her time with the group.  We'd seen it quite blatant a few times before, I suppose, but now I am starting to wonder how her character will develope.

The scene with the handover of goods was also a good one, illustrating how Negan is taxing and controlling many groups even more and on occasion successfully, I really can't wait to see insight into his group and the motivations and day to day life of those who appear loyal to him.

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

The scene with the handover of goods was also a good one, illustrating how Negan is taxing and controlling many groups even more and on occasion successfully, I really can't wait to see insight into his group and the motivations and day to day life of those who appear loyal to him.

This is what I like, the whole setup of Negan and his group has been brilliant. Hopefully they don't screw it all up.

3 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

This is what I like, the whole setup of Negan and his group has been brilliant. Hopefully they don't screw it all up.

It surely has to be heading towards a revolution, where one group or another has the wherewithal to organise a counter movement against him.  I can only assume this is King Ezekial's plan, not to stand against him as a community but to find the people and the means to build a successful offence that isn't directly linked to him or seen to be going on.

19 hours ago, Spindles said:

It surely has to be heading towards a revolution, where one group or another has the wherewithal to organise a counter movement against him.  I can only assume this is King Ezekial's plan, not to stand against him as a community but to find the people and the means to build a successful offence that isn't directly linked to him or seen to be going on.

It would have to be, seems like Negan has an army!

Indeed, the people need to rise up against a warlord, but are disparate factions with their own leaderships, each under the heal of the warlord.  Rick has been broken by him, his group's induction into the new world order is a facsimile that would have happened already with the other groups.  I think King Ezekial plans to bring the people together for revolution, but in a quiet and sneaky way, he's used to playing a role for the greater good.