The Walking Dead

luckysalt

Yeah and he only has a bat whereas everyone else seems to have guns. 

That dude who we saw running away who said he had given up and didnt care if he died, why didnt he just shoot negan then commit suicide? 

If negan had been shown to at least treat his own people well then it would all make more sense to me. As it is there is a compound full of armed people all of whom have a grudge against negan, yet noone does anything about it. It's not been well done so far imo. But we are only 3 episodes in I suppose. 

Yeah but it just take one guy to have one moment to shoot one bullet and its bye bye Negan. To have that many muscle goons brainwashed takes a lot of time. Are we to believe over that time no one has considered or tried to take Negan out with the exception of Daryl's punch? 

It really is a simple matter of cut off the head IMO

4 hours ago, russycarps said:

is anyone else not entirely convinced by negan? I just dont think he seems that scary or intimidating. Perhaps he needs to be played by a more muscle bound actor

The big boss in my works unit is skinny and smiles a lot, like Negan. All his managers complain privately but don't do anything about it, so it is feasible for a sociopath to run a large group of people and not get topped. Having said that, the big boss doesn't have a razor wire baseball bat, just to clarify.

I think he place the menace well.  The air of violence being a moment away at any given time with him is what makes it work, I think, knowing that he could beat someone's brains in at a blink.

He isn't a small man either, stocky and well built despite his height, so I don't really think that they needed to go full muscle bound gym freak with him.  I like the guy as an actor, he seems like he could play a variety of comedy or dramatic roles with a decent level of immersion.

He is the socio/psycopath at the top. The glue that holds it all together. without him the whole thing crumbles and they are all out on their own or own little groups.

Violence and fear is a powerful thing

Plus it is a program about dead people that come back to life to feed on flesh, so I suspend belief a lot for it.

Edited by fred quimby

1 hour ago, carlosj said:

The big boss in my works unit is skinny and smiles a lot, like Negan. All his managers complain privately but don't do anything about it, so it is feasible for a sociopath to run a large group of people and not get topped. Having said that, the big boss doesn't have a razor wire baseball bat, just to clarify.

I think a smiling sociopath is scarier than someone who's consistently vicious. it's that uncertainty - that hope that if you keep on the right side of him, everything will be Ok, but you have to appease him every moment.

if he was just out to kill everyone, there'd be nothing to lose, you wouldn't be forever in that flux state of indecision, you'd know when the moment to act was, and you'd be clear that your action couldn't escalate an already out of control situation.

the way he plays it is like any controlling abuser does on an individual basis, by keeping people on their toes in an agony of uncertainty. It's the fear of setting him off that gives him control.

Stalin comes to mind.

I thought it was trying to show that they're only loyal to Negan because he offers security, food and shelter. So if another group can offer the same minus the threat of violence then they might be won over. 

15 minutes ago, bunique said:

I thought it was trying to show that they're only loyal to Negan because he offers security, food and shelter. So if another group can offer the same minus the threat of violence then they might be won over. 

Well he's running an extreme protection racket, I suppose. Maybe you'd want to be in the inner circle, rather than risk crossing him. and I suppose they wouldn't know who they could trust.

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

It's defo setting itself up for Dwight to betray him somehow. Where is his other number 2? The dude with the tash seemingly running things the day Rick n Co got fucked. I was under the impression that was his Vice President 

Ah yeah I forgot about that dude. I liked him

18 hours ago, russycarps said:

But Stalin and all these evil dictators still surround themselves with people they treat well and who worship them. The top politicians lived like kings. It seems negan has given everyone reason to hate him, even his number two Dwight! It's silly.

As been said Dwight is nowhere near the top of the pile and only one of the lower people. So I should imagine the others do live ok with nice stuff. Dwight is now only there to be alive and near his hot wife who needs meds so will tow the line

27 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

As been said Dwight is nowhere near the top of the pile and only one of the lower people. So I should imagine the others do live ok with nice stuff. Dwight is now only there to be alive and near his hot wife who needs meds so will tow the line

I gotcha, cheers. No doubt we'll see more of his operation as time goes by. I am a bit worried they are rushing the storyline at the moment, it seems too obvious that all his men will turn against him at the drop of a hat and ezekial will unite everyone else against him. There will hopefully be much more to this storyline than that