Reading 2011 line up prediction

Guest billyjoearmstrongsdad

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the typical formula of a "rock" band, an "Indie" band and an Older Act/Reunion, I predict - Green Day, Kasabian and Soundgarden.

There seemed to be a lot of talk about Green Day this year and there's no smoke without fire so I'm betting FR are hungry to put them on. Plus by this time next year the band will probably be on the victory lap for their last album, so two big festival slots might be a nice send off in the UK, especially considering they haven't played R+L in a good few years. One point would be a band like Green Day who are big enough to play their own shows at places at Wembley Stadium don't really need to play fests, but by same token Metallica, Muse and even Oasis have mixed mega-shows with headlining slots before. I could also see Foo Fighters in this place, but I just feel its going to be a while before they realise new stuff and I can't see them returning to UK until they have a new album.

I don't actually like Kasabian even a little bit but they do seem to draw in big crowds when they play high up at other fests. Plus after the realtive success of Arcade Fire this year, we might (hopefully) see more band who haven't headlined before getting the chance. The Strokes are another option, but by this point I've given up on them every finishing their fourth album.

As for Soundgarden, well, again I'm not a fan but they're a realitively high profil rock band who have reformed recently and will probably make their way to the UK in 2011 (think: Blink 182, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins et al. from previous years). Maybe a more naturial fit for Download? I dunno.

I really can't see Eminem playing, nor The Cure (although they seem to be popular picks!). Those are who I think will play. As for who I want....

Using the typical formula of a "rock" band, an "Indie" band and an Older Act/Reunion, I predict - Green Day, Kasabian and Soundgarden.

There seemed to be a lot of talk about Green Day this year and there's no smoke without fire so I'm betting FR are hungry to put them on. Plus by this time next year the band will probably be on the victory lap for their last album, so two big festival slots might be a nice send off in the UK, especially considering they haven't played R+L in a good few years. One point would be a band like Green Day who are big enough to play their own shows at places at Wembley Stadium don't really need to play fests, but by same token Metallica, Muse and even Oasis have mixed mega-shows with headlining slots before. I could also see Foo Fighters in this place, but I just feel its going to be a while before they realise new stuff and I can't see them returning to UK until they have a new album.

I don't actually like Kasabian even a little bit but they do seem to draw in big crowds when they play high up at other fests. Plus after the realtive success of Arcade Fire this year, we might (hopefully) see more band who haven't headlined before getting the chance. The Strokes are another option, but by this point I've given up on them every finishing their fourth album.

As for Soundgarden, well, again I'm not a fan but they're a realitively high profil rock band who have reformed recently and will probably make their way to the UK in 2011 (think: Blink 182, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins et al. from previous years). Maybe a more naturial fit for Download? I dunno.

I really can't see Eminem playing, nor The Cure (although they seem to be popular picks!). Those are who I think will play. As for who I want....

At leeds

Fri

The Strokes/Foo Fighters

Bloc Party

The Enemy

Babyshambles

The View

The Subways

Sat

Green Day/Linkin Park

The Offspring

Sum 41

No Doubt

Less Than Jake

Reel Big Fish

Sun

RATM/SOAD

Them Crooked Vultures

30 Seconds to Mars

Bullet For My Valentine

Band of Skulls

Pulled Apart By Horses

Would be happy enough with something like that

what do you think too

Fri (Lee) Sat (Rea)

The Strokes

The Prodigy

Pendulum

Mumford and Sons

Feeder

Good Charlotte

Jimmy Eat World

Friendly Fires

Pulled Apart By Horses

Manchester Orchestra

Radio 1 Tent

Bullet For My Valentine

The Gaslight Anthem

The XX

Chase and Status

Funeral For a Friend

Sat (Lee) Sun (Rea)

Eminem

Faithless

Florence and the Machine

Vampire Weekend

Snoop Dogg/Public Enemy

White Lies

Foals

Frank Turner

Everything Everything

Kassidy

Radio 1/NME Tent

Brand New

Hot Chip

The Courteeners

The Subways

Sunday

Aerosmith

Slipknot/My Chemical Romance

30 Seconds to Mars

Slash

Sum 41

Soilwork

The Damned Things

36 Crazyfits

My Passion

Radio 1/NME Tent

Glasvegas

The Temper Trap

Lol at the person who said soundgarden to headline. I wouldnt even say they are big enough these days to headline download, more than likely they would sub. Slipknot probably wouldnt headline R&L either. Probs 3rd from top like they were ment to be in 08.

Foos are a good shout. New album coming out and grohl does love R&L.