• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

Thinking about a fantasy football team? It will probably be Alex but Ivanovic could play in the middle too. He started there for the charity shield but Alex was injured.

It does leave Chelsea looking rather short at the back though so I'd expect to see them signing a replacement.

RB - Bosingwa, Ferreira

CB - Ivanovic, Terry, Alex

LB - Cole, Zhirkov

Bosingwa was injured for a lot of last season, Zhirkov is more of a wingback/midfielder and Ferreira hasn't really been a first choice for quite a while!

Edited by funkymp

Very happy we have signed Lichaj to a new contract, guys got wonderous talent, he should be given a chance in the PL at RB, he's MUCH better than Beye, god knows why we bothered signed Beye at all.

EDIT mind you Luke Young might finally be given a chance to play in the position he does play - RB, instead of playing at LB his entire Villa career.

Edited by luckysalt

These friendlies tonight. You can sort of understand RoI playing a massive side like Argentina and Wales i guess would like as much practice as they can before playing England. You can even understand Capello wanting to see as many new players as possible after summer's disaster. But WTF were Sweden hoping to get out of tonight?

These friendlies tonight. You can sort of understand RoI playing a massive side like Argentina and Wales i guess would like as much practice as they can before playing England. You can even understand Capello wanting to see as many new players as possible after summer's disaster. But WTF were Sweden hoping to get out of tonight?

Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance) is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is an incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident meaning of words or actions.

Verbal and situational irony are often used for emphasis in the assertion of a truth. The ironic form of simile, irony used in sarcasm, and some forms of litotes emphasize one's meaning by the deliberate use of language which states the opposite of the truth — or drastically and obviously understates a factual connection.

In fictional dramatic irony, the author causes a character (acting as the author's mouthpiece) to speak or act in a way contrary to the truth. This technique highlights the literal facts by portraying a fictional person who is strikingly ignorant of them.

In certain kinds of situational or historical irony, a factual truth is highlighted by some person's complete ignorance of it or his belief in the opposite of it. However, this state of affairs does not occur by human design. In some religious contexts, such situations have been seen as the deliberate work of Divine Providence to emphasize facts and to taunt humans for not being aware of them — when they could easily have been enlightened (this is similar to human use of irony). Such ironies are often more evident, or more striking, when viewed retrospectively in the light of later developments which make the truth of past situations obvious to all.

Much irony involves commentary that heightens tension in the life situation of someone who needs to learn an easily known fact but somehow fails to learn it.

BBC

BREAKING TRANSFER NEWS

Manchester United have signed striker Bebe from Vitoria Guimaraes for an undisclosed fee subject to a medical.

who?

EDIT

For those of you wondering who Bebe is (see 2201) I can tell you he is a 20-year-old Portuguese frontman and that the fee is around £7m. I can also reveal he has dreadlocks and once played in the Homeless World Cup. Seriously. Not much to add to that really, is there?

Edited by luckysalt

BBC

BREAKING TRANSFER NEWS

Manchester United have signed striker Bebe from Vitoria Guimaraes for an undisclosed fee subject to a medical.

who?

EDIT

For those of you wondering who Bebe is (see 2201) I can tell you he is a 20-year-old Portuguese frontman and that the fee is around £7m. I can also reveal he has dreadlocks and once played in the Homeless World Cup. Seriously. Not much to add to that really, is there?

BBC

BREAKING TRANSFER NEWS

who?

EDIT

Looks like Liverpool have signed Poulson from Juve. You'd think this must mean that Mascerano is on his way, but all seems to have gone a bit quiet on that front.

Thought Gibbs did well for England last night. If he can keep up that sort of form he could well get in ahead of Clichy in our team. Good on him.