U2 Friday night headliners!

Guest reas11

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showb...lastonbury.html

MICHAEL EAVIS promised something special for Glastonbury's 40th birthday next year - and boy has he delivered.

U2 will headline on Friday night - the first time the Irish rockers have ever played the festival.

It will be a career highlight for both Glasto founder Michael and U2 frontman BONO, who have been circling each other making loving noises for quite a while now.

A source said: "Everyone is over the moon that the deal has been done.

"Michael really wanted a huge name for the 40th anniversary and the fact U2 have never played Glastonbury in their 32-year career only adds to the mystique.

"In fact Eavis has been asking them for a while now and really stepped up the effort this year. This could be an iconic moment."

U2 cunningly left a gap in their US tour schedule for the gig, which will take place on Friday, June 25.

Earlier this year Bono said of Glasto: "I know lots of people want us to play.

"It's something we're working up our whole life to do. We really, really want to do this."

With U2 in the bag and more big names to follow, this could end up being the best Glasto in an illustrious 40-year history.

Pledged

The event sold out in hours last month before even one act had been announced, and Michael, below, and daughter EMILY are determined to give fans an all-star line-up.

He has pledged there will be "three or four superstars" adding: "The expectations are really high and we're trying to get the best headliners in the world."

The ROLLING STONES, COLDPLAY, DAVID BOWIE, MUSE and even LED ZEPPELIN are among those rumoured to be in the running for spots.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the sun are less realiable than Wikipedia...

If U2 do it though, that will be one hell of an achievement.

Show in the States on the 23rd

Glastonbury Festival on the 25th

Show in the States on the 27th

Its possible but thats going to be very, very, very tough especially when most of the tour has 3-4 date breaks between shows in different venues.

i'd not mind if it was true. i'm not a fan and i'd never pay the stupid prices to see their own gigs but i may well saunter over for half an hour. even if just to mutter 'bono is a cockwomble' then leave.

however the story being broken by 'the sun' means it's most likely a load of toilet.

i don't mind their early stuff but have never really been a fan but i haave always wanted to see them live but have never been willing to fork out to go to one of their actual gigs.

IF this is true and they do headline regardless of what i may think of them it will be a huge coup and a big deal and i will definitely be checking them out to see what all the fuss is about and to be honest i think i will enjoy it and come away liking them all the more for it just as i have in the past with both Coldplay and Pearl Jam.

I'm inclined to think it's not true - the difficulties for them in getting across the pond twice in a few days while hoping that their form isn't affected by it seems too unlikely for a band that claim to care so much about how they come across on stage.

It also seems strange that they'd play Friday and not Saturday - it's essentially saying (to those with huge egos) "u2 aren't that big a band". Would u2 be happy with that? I think not.

Just had word back from a quick check of the Sun article, and am being told that u2's PR people are very cosy with Gordon Smart, and that Gordon Smart is likely to believe it's true (rather than be writing deliberate rubbish) - whether or not it actually is true is another thing.

it does seem a bit of a tall order to fly to and from the festival in such a tight space of time expecially with all their equipment, but no doubt they've done similar in tha past in regards to a lot of traveling and gigs in a short space of time.

the band themselves will no doubt be on small private jets so it's no big deal really but the effort involved in shipping the equipment to and fro in a such a short space of time seems quite a task.

Edited by .jay.