Who's watching what on tv

tinygreendragon

Clearly stating the obvious here but....I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people watching the series haven't read the books. The viewer's enjoyment of the episode would (I think) have been significantly different had they known what was coming (although friends who've read the books said it was worse!). You wouldn't expend someone to ruin the plot of a film or novel, why would TV be any different?

Expect*

I don't have a view either way about "spoilers" once the episode has aired, although I have been careful not to mention specific events either here or Facebook as I think it would affect a friend's enjoyment of it.

Clearly stating the obvious here but....I'd hazard a guess that the majority of people watching the series haven't read the books. The viewer's enjoyment of the episode would (I think) have been significantly different had they known what was coming (although friends who've read the books said it was worse!). You wouldn't expend someone to ruin the plot of a film or novel, why would TV be any different?

Hmm.

Well you wouldn't want someone to ruin a film if it hasn't come out yet. But if it's already been out, or it's a remake of a previously released film, or the film is based on a popular book, surely it wouldn't surprise you?

Did many people really think "fly you fools" were the last words they'd hear Gandalf say?

Does it really spoil your life that much if you find out the plot line of a fictional TV show anyway, regardless of whether the storyline is leaked prior to the show date, or after it's aired?

Ruin lives is a bit strong ;) but it would certainly dampen my enjoyment a bit.

I can't think of an appropriate analogy - knowing all a band's songs but not wanting to know their current set list so there's some element of surprise?

Ruin lives is a bit strong ;) but it would certainly dampen my enjoyment a bit.

I can't think of an appropriate analogy - knowing all a band's songs but not wanting to know their current set list so there's some element of surprise?

Strong? Well yeah that's the point.

Using your set list analogy, yes that would be something I'd prefer not to know, but something that I'd get over in about 3 milliseconds.

The point I was raising it that to some people it does seem a massive issue. People get irate about it, like they're going to explode. Like it has ruined their lives. That is what I don't "get".

I do think deliberately setting out to ruin people's enjoyment of a show by posting spoilers as Frankie Boyle did is pretty shitty though

Agree with this point completely.

Won't question why you follow an arse like Frankie Boyle in the first place mind...

You being anyone who did and suffered for it, not you personally!

Edited by TheGayTent

I have been vocal about this in the past, and still feel strongly about it.

If your favourite football team were playing the most important match in their history, and you were on a plane, but were taping it to watch when you got home, how happy would you be if someone over the tannoy at baggage reclaim announced "your team lost 6-1, the keeper was sent off after 13 minutes for handling outside the area and then chinning the ref, and the manager quit at half time"?

would that be okey dokey with you?

and thats just one 90 minute game. Not 4 or 5 series (seasons) of 10 or more 1 hour episodes.

Its about storytelling, funnily enough - the end of a book is not normally on page one, its a journey. And whether you take that journey via the written word, TV, movie or audiobook - it would be considered a little rude if someone basically told you the ending. There are plenty of forums online that have immediate bans for spoilers with no exceptions, and I happen to think that's fair.

At the very least - its incredibly rude to intentionally spoil someones enjoyment of something they enjoy. At the worst, it makes them a c**t.

If my football team were playing the most important football match in their history there's no where I'd be other than inside the ground - let alone a plane where I couldn't even follow the game live.

Sure, if someone asks you whether you watched 'X' last night and your response is "No, and I don't want to know the plot because I'm watching it tonight" and yet they then tell you what happens anyway, then sure that's a bit off.

But, that's not what we're talking about.

If you miss 'the most important fictional TV programme in your history' on a Tuesday night, and want to watch it 'as live' on the Wednesday night, you'd take sensible precautions so as not to find out the plot.

Let's take GOT, as one of the most popular current shows. The following day to that on which the episode aired, if you get the train to work, you'd listen to music or a podcast or something in case you end up in the vicinity of people on the carriage discussing it. If you didn't and you hear the plot? The people discussing it aren't c**ts, you're a bit dim. If you open a paper and read an article about GOT? The paper aren't c**ts, you're a bit dim. If you voluntarily make the decision to click on a forum thread entitled "What did you watch last night?" and discover posters discussing the plot line? They're not c**ts. You're a bit dim.

If it's that important to me, it's my responsibility to take necessary precautions to avoid finding out the plot line surely. If someone tells you despite you informing them you don't wish to know, then agreed they're a c**t.

• Upvote 1

well then we are in complete agreement. which was entirely my point when I started a thread a few months ago about it and was shouted down by a few.

the title of this thread is "who's watching what on TV", so by its nature - is a thread for disussing what shows people are watching, a "recommendation" thread if you will. there are other threads which are programme specific, and are for discussing the show in particular, and if people watch it via dubious methods before it airs here, they tend to use spoiler tags until it has aired.

its a minefield.

and its got a lot to do with courtesy

Edited by t8yman

If you open a paper and read an article about GOT? The paper aren't c**ts, you're a bit dim.

The metro yesterday had a half page spoilerific picture on page 3. You didn't have to read anything. You would have opened the paper, seen the photo and not be able to un-see it.

If I'm trying to avoid knowing anything about one of, if not the most popular programme on the box right now, I don't open a paper the day after the latest episode has aired.

Had I done, I'd be a bit dim.

If that paper spoiled someone's enjoyment it's the readers fault, not the paper.

IMHO obviously.

Edited by TheGayTent

If I'm trying to avoid knowing anything about one of, if not the most popular programme on the box right now, I don't open a paper the day after the latest episode has aired.

Had I done, I'd be a bit dim.

If that paper spoiled someone's enjoyment it's the readers fault, not the paper.

IMHO obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CLCOvZOh1o

Edited by 5co77ie

Just started watching 'Underbelly' an Austrailian gangster type program.My missus says its excellent but I'm wary of her judgement lol.Any of you seen it?

Series 1 is brilliant. 80s Melbourne ecstasy wars.

Series 2 is brilliant. 70s Melbourne's "Mr Asia" Kiwi smack syndicate.

Series 3 is pretty dull. Lebanese bar-owners puffing up to each other.

Series 4 is deathly dull. Tries to be Oz Boardwalk Empire but forgot Boardwalk Empire is shite.

Series 5 is pretty good. Post millennium Speed/Meth rackets.

The one-off "films" are pretty good too.

Underbelly doesn't get any better than Series 1 and 2 so enjoy them!! And I'd go straight from Series 2 to Series 5.

Edited by viberunner