Let there be light! Head torch recommendations?

Kalcius

After much emptying of cupboards and drawers, I've come to the conclusion that my trusty head torch which must be 10 years old by now is nowhere to be found, so it's time for a replacement/upgrade.

Had a bit of a trawl through eBay and Amazon last night, but blinded (sorry!) by so many options. Kinda liking the idea of a USB chargeable one so that I don't have to faff with batteries and can use the power bank, but don't know whether it's more of a gimmick? 

Not looking to break the bank, but at the same time I don't think a Poundland special is quite going to cut it. So, any recommendations? :)

Cheers! 

What's your budget? I've got three of increasing quality. You can pay a fortune.

Fenix are top notch, Petzl do some great ones as well. 

Have a look in Go Outdoors 

15 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Petzl are my preference - they do ones with retractable strings that take up hardly any space.  I've had the same one for years and it goes (more or less) everywhere with me.

They are compact and will fit in a pocket easily. I keep a Petzl in the car and have two others in my hill sack that's always packed 

I have a petzl one. Can't remember the model but was about 20-30 quid. Takes AAA batteries. I bought some lithium AAAs. Lasts yonks. Easily the whole festival. You don't want it on mega bright anyhow and the lower outputs often have runtime in days rather than hours. 

All sounding good, thanks folks. :)

I'm thinking the USB charging is a bit of a gimmick then? As a decent quality one with decent batteries sounds like it will last more than long enough, without the added faff and cost of charging.

Off to have a look at Petzl models - can't even remember what brand my old one was, I bought it in a camping shop at least 10 years ago and to be fair it was nothing special, so a shiny new one will be nice.

To be honest I don't know much about the USB charging but for occasional use I think batteries are fine. It's definitely best to get the lithium batteries if you want long life. They cost a but more but they really do seem to last a lot longer, plus they are lighter. Btw I mean lithium NON rechargeable. Sorry for the capitals! 

Petzl all the way.  Whatever you get, make sure you get one with a proper switch,  My kids got some energiser ones free at camp Bestival and while they are comfy and give excellent light, the switch is a touch button that easily turns  on in your pocket/bag.  They are always flat.  Stay away from gimmicky red lights

21 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

That looks a bit of a beast! Is it not rather heavy/bulky to have strapped to your head?

The only reasons you're going to want a torch at Glastonbury are to find stuff in your tent and to avoid tripping over guy-ropes on night-time toilet treks.  You wouldn't want a retina-burning cree monstrosity for this - you want a fairly dim torch, which won't annoy your neighbours or make yourself a comedy attraction for the groups of wrecked people sitting by their tents.

Just get a cheap, crappy one which takes normal batteries plus spares.

3 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

I got a Poundland one for last year and it was spot on. (No pun intended). Lasted the whole festival on one set of batteries. If you are looking for a quality long lasting one though I'd go for Petzl every time.

My poundland one has been going strong for 4 festivals, I chuck a new set of batteries in before I go and take them out when I get home to prevent leakage.  When in the tent I hang it from the hook at the top and use it as a tent light.  Bang on value, sod spending a fortune on a few LEDs, some plastic, elastic and the most expensive part, the logo.

I'm off to Poundland tomorrow for some other bits anyway, so for the sake of a quid maybe it's worth grabbing one and giving it a go. :) Worst case, if I think it's a bit naff then I'll drop it in at a charity shop and then order myself a better one. 

If it does the job then that's potentially 2 extra pints at the farm. :D 

I spend a lot of time outdoors, in the middle of nowhere, in often shitty weather and when my well being and that of others depends on being able to see. I've had the batteries go on me and thankfully always have a spare in my kit. Wouldn't be an issue at a festival but...

If you want it to do a job, spend a few quid on a waterproof one and it'll pay you back. If it's for finding stuff in your tent or nipping to the long drops, Poundland will do.

8 hours ago, Spindles said:

My poundland one has been going strong for 4 festivals, I chuck a new set of batteries in before I go and take them out when I get home to prevent leakage.  When in the tent I hang it from the hook at the top and use it as a tent light.  Bang on value, sod spending a fortune on a few LEDs, some plastic, elastic and the most expensive part, the logo.

Actually now I think about it mine could have been from home bargains too? Definitely one of those cheapy shops anyway. It had led's and different settings. May not have been as robust as a petzl but just as bright.:)