Football 16-17

kaosmark2

Just now, mjsell said:

Fonte has handed in a transfer request at Southampton - sounds like any sort of relationship between him and the club is gone. Both sides accusing the other in regards to his contract situation.
The problem Southampton have now is that its looking likely they will need a whole new first team centre back pairing in the not too distant future - although they should have a fair wad of cash to get it with. The carousel continues to spin there, who needs a stable squad?

Going to Liverpool then.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Fonte has a bit of interest i him at the mo tho, and it's his last chance at something of the big t5ime. i'm not too surprised he's keen to move on.

Totally agree. He's now a European Championship winning player, and probably could move on to get his last big contract. Well deserved too, he's been playing well for a long time and probably feels he wants a crack with a bigger team (especially when he sees the quality of defender at many of the 'bigger' clubs).

I wonder how the fans will take it though. Never nice when a player hands in a transfer request.

4 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Totally agree. He's now a European Championship winning player, and probably could move on to get his last big contract. Well deserved too, he's been playing well for a long time and probably feels he wants a crack with a bigger team (especially when he sees the quality of defender at many of the 'bigger' clubs).

I wonder how the fans will take it though. Never nice when a player hands in a transfer request.

I've seen rumours of both Utd and Everton for him.

A player past his best seems just about a perfect fit for Moaniho's transfer policy :P

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've seen rumours of both Utd and Everton for him.

A player past his best seems just about a perfect fit for Moaniho's transfer policy :P

Everton makes sense, Utd less so, considering they'd have a bigger budget to play with.

(Nice piece on SGP by the way, they really a joke with the booze policy)

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Mikel off to China now too.

Chelsea are absolutely raking it in at the moment. I wonder if they'll replace him. He's not (or barely) played this year at all. Got a few young ones in the squad (and on loan) who could potentially play in the middle if needs be.

38 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Well indeed, but I don't know how many of those could realistically get Mikel's squad place.

Nathan Ake at Bournemouth is showing he could fill that role of emergency holding midfielder, he's looking excellent at centre back and looks very accomplished on the ball as well.

Chelsea make an absolute killing out of their loan system. Was speaking to what seems like a quite well informed chelsea fan in my office the other day who was talking about their finances - he said they made a £5m profit last time figures were released (don't know when that was). But that supposedly included a pay out to adidas of around £60m to end their kit deal early in favour of a far better deal on the way from Nike. Plus their spending is obviously still up there with the best of them.

(I'm prepared for someone who knows the ins and outs of Premier league club finances to put me in my place on this one)

A large part of Chelsea's loan system is based around how FFP works. The cost of a player purchase is spread across the length of their contract. By signing players on a 5 year contract, then loaning them out for a fee offsets a large part of that year's cost, the wages are covered by the other club (mostly), and then they sell them on 3/4 years later which offsets the remainder, so even when they make a loss on a player (eg buying for £10m and selling for £6m after 3 £1m loan fees), by FFP rules they've made a £1m loss in the 3 years and then a £5m profit in the 4th, for a £2m profit total, instead of a £1m loss total. By having a constant cycle of lots of players on this, they're apparently making technical profits while constantly spending large amounts of money and hoovering up a huge proportion of players.

Edited by kaosmark2

All the loan system needs is a limit to how many players a club can loan out. Say 5 of any + 5 players that came through the club's own academy. Loans can be used in perfectly civilised ways, but on the flipside you have Chelsea, or from the other side, Watford the year they got promoted.

4 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

I heard that on the radio on the way back from Brum last game of the season - talk about timing, the little scroat 

Yeah when I told my mum that you'd bid for him she was not best pleased. Would be a very strange reaction from fans if you did end up signing him.

7 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I'm OK with that as long as they don't play in same group of champions league or play against them. Other year when courtois could've played -or did he actually play - against Chelsea was a joke. Any keeper cock up there and you're open to all sorts. 

Not playing against the parent club just gives the parent club an unfair advantage, although perhaps that's the idea of it all.

For example Wilshire couldn't play against arsenal. It's a win win situation for the likes of arsenal, the player gets playing time and when they play the team they are weakened.