Football 16-17

kaosmark2

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

I think the real danger for Swansea is if they move away from for the possession-based football that's served them so well under Martinez/Sousa/Rodgers/Laudrup/Monk. It always worked before because they always had the same way of playing, and players who would always understand that. I hope they don't lose their nerve in a relegation battle.

The trouble is for Swansea whatever style of football they play, it's inevitable relegation will come one day, unless they increase spending significantly. They appear to be one of those sides treading water until it's their turn.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, thetime said:

Those predicting utd will park the bus, you do realise utd don't have the personnel  to park the bus.

They don't have the defence or the defensive  midfielders to accomplish that style.

I can still see Mourinho trying though. I'm not saying he will but I wouldn't put it past him trying.

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Those predicting utd will park the bus, you do realise utd don't have the personnel  to park the bus.

They don't have the defence or the defensive  midfielders to accomplish that style.

i'd say its even more of the case that in an open game they don't have the defence to cope with Liverpool's front line, whereas having everyone sit back doesn't give Liverpool the space they need to play at their best.

It perhaps won't be a full double-decker, but i do expect Utd to be defensively-minded.

Edited by eFestivals

How nice is it to have some good football matches back this weekend?

2 hours ago, mungo57 said:

Was a really SHIT match yesterday but Jose Holebas' goal more than made up for the shittiness! What a strike that was. No chance for the keeper.

I would have been disappointed that the keeper didnt get something on that had that been for my team. Valdes is not a good keeper.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

More important for Utd yeah but Liverpool winning would put them top going into a relatively winnable run of games. West Brom, Palace, Watford, Saints, Sunderland, Bournmouth, West Ham, Boro, Everton and Stoke to bring them to XMas. 

Utd on the other hand have a tough month. Liverpool away tonight, Fenerbahce, Chelsea away, City in the piss pot, Burnley, Fenerbahce away, Swansea, Arsenal. 

Really looking forward to it either way. Evening kick offs between the two are rare. Atmosphere will be bananas. Have to favour Liverpool for the win.

Liverpools title creditionals will be more tested in that run of games than if they were facing top 4 teams.

And I'm going for a tight but enjoyable chess match of a game tonight. I'm desperately hoping for goals but fear it will be 1 goal in it. Got to fancy Liverpool though - they have proven it in the big games this season, United havent.

25 minutes ago, mjsell said:

How nice is it to have some good football matches back this weekend?

I would have been disappointed that the keeper didnt get something on that had that been for my team. Valdes is not a good keeper.

Liverpools title creditionals will be more tested in that run of games than if they were facing top 4 teams.

And I'm going for a tight but enjoyable chess match of a game tonight. I'm desperately hoping for goals but fear it will be 1 goal in it. Got to fancy Liverpool though - they have proven it in the big games this season, United havent.

Valdes is a decent enough goalie, I doubt many keepers would have got anything on that anyway, was a bullet and was moving away whole time, if anything they'd have ended up helping it in! Should've been a penalty for the tackle on Success seconds before so justice was done.

Doesn't stop it being a shit game though. 

16 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

Valdes is a decent enough goalie, I doubt many keepers would have got anything on that anyway, was a bullet and was moving away whole time, if anything they'd have ended up helping it in! Should've been a penalty for the tackle on Success seconds before so justice was done.

Doesn't stop it being a shit game though. 

It was a good hit but it certainly wasnt unstoppable. Near post and definitely reachable - I stand by my belief that a top keeper would be saving that, but Valdes is not a top keeper. Chambers' reaction to a through ball that he should have come and collected sums him up imo.

Agree that it should have been a penalty though. There was some very dubious refereeing across the whole weekend.

4 minutes ago, mjsell said:

It was a good hit but it certainly wasnt unstoppable. Near post and definitely reachable - I stand by my belief that a top keeper would be saving that, but Valdes is not a top keeper. Chambers' reaction to a through ball that he should have come and collected sums him up imo.

Agree that it should have been a penalty though. There was some very dubious refereeing across the whole weekend.

Yeah to say the least! How the ref thought the West Ham player should've had 2 yellows inside a minute when the at least 1 was clearly not even a foul I have no idea!

Lets hope Mourinho's shit storm about the ref is unfounded tonight and the game goes well with no shit decisions......

3 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Newcastle had the 6th highest gate across Europe on Saturday apparently. Decent!

Yeah I read that as well. Cracking stuff, especially with a few Prem stadiums having empty seats over the same time. Always appreciate the Geordies filling their stadium if the team is playing well or badly. Proper fans.

Man City can't even fill theirs up for the Champs League!

3 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

It's 50 quid to go to a Manchester City home match!?! :huh:

30 quid for the limited cheap seats at the back of the stand at the end of the ground and 45, 46 or 47 quid for everything else. 

And thats for the Southampton game at the weekend. Choose a bigger fixture, Spurs in January for example, and all tickets are a minimum of £58.

Can hover over the seats/prices here

9 minutes ago, The Nal said:

30 quid for the limited cheap seats at the back of the stand at the end of the ground and 45, 46 or 47 quid for everything else. 

And thats for the Southampton game at the weekend. Choose a bigger fixture, Spurs in January for example, and all tickets are a minimum of £58.

Can hover over the seats/prices here

That's mental! No wonder it's always empty.

3 hours ago, big__phil said:

Yeah I read that as well. Cracking stuff, especially with a few Prem stadiums having empty seats over the same time. Always appreciate the Geordies filling their stadium if the team is playing well or badly. Proper fans.

Man City can't even fill theirs up for the Champs League!

The Rafa optimism is a factor. Our average attendance so far this season is higher than it was last season. Under McClaren we averaged 42k. Still a good turnout but a lot less impressive than what we've been pulling in the Championship.

Our away games have broken a bunch of attendance records as well.

4 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

The Rafa optimism is a factor. Our average attendance so far this season is higher than it was last season. Under McClaren we averaged 42k. Still a good turnout but a lot less impressive than what we've been pulling in the Championship.

Our away games have broken a bunch of attendance records as well.

Wow, was it really that low under McClaren? That's lower than over previous Championship season isn't it?

Edited by WS_Jack_III

5 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Wow, was it really that low under McClaren? That's lower than over previous Championship season isn't it?

Yep. Might have been closer to 43 than 42, but was still really low. The sellouts in the last few games brought our season average above our last Championship season, but our November - March attendances were atrocious by our standards.

Well that was fun... 

Boring as it is, and annoying as he is, Mourinho knows how to play away from home in big games. Whoever said United didn't have the squad to park the bus obviously hadn't seen rashford play right back before, 6 at the back - let's hope that doesn't take off. 

9 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Well that was fun... 

Boring as it is, and annoying as he is, Mourinho knows how to play away from home in big games. Whoever said United didn't have the squad to park the bus obviously hadn't seen rashford play right back before, 6 at the back - let's hope that doesn't take off. 

Fucking awful