Anderson .Paak

Brad2434

19 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

Not booking him would be crazy.

And with him at Reading too...

Surely not.

Reading and Leeds do seem to be much more proficient at picking up current hip hop acts. They had Vince Staples and Kendrick Lamar last year when they put out the top two rap albums of that year, and they look to be keeping that up. I think Nas and Paak on the same day's bill, among other treats, is tempting me that way for a day ticket.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Glastonbury haven't got him, they need to seriously have a look at whoever books hip hop acts. Time and time again they are behind on hip hop. See dentals examples above.

Are they just not bothered about this genre? Grime seems to be represented on the lineup this year but hip hop is seriously lacking.

9 minutes ago, jed300 said:

If Glastonbury haven't got him, they need to seriously have a look at whoever books hip hop acts. Time and time again they are behind on hip hop. See dentals examples above.

Are they just not bothered about this genre? Grime seems to be represented on the lineup this year but hip hop is seriously lacking.

I'd wait until the lineup is out before dismissing it. :lol: 

Besides, the situations are different as R+L have to rely on a strong hip hop and grime showing as that's what the kids listen to. Glastonbury don't, as much, but still provided Danny Brown, Chance, Yeezy and more in recent years. It's also adept at putting in talent on the really small stages like Akua Naru and Akala last year and Oddisee this year. That in itself is something to be excited about discovering on the full lineup.

Chance has completely passed me by for whatever reason, only last week did I listen to Acid Rap for the first time. And I've only really got into him because of Ultralight Beam!! Eye way off the ball with this one.

I'm expecting a few suprises in the next list, if they can get a Deltron3030 style sized booking that would be ace.

20 minutes ago, jed300 said:

It's well known that Glastonbury don't pay as well as other (sponsored) festivals, so perhaps that could be a factor? I wonder how much Wireless have had to pay their headliners in the past.

They do book hip-hop acts though, just not as many as some of us would like to see.

53 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'd wait until the lineup is out before dismissing it. :lol: 

Besides, the situations are different as R+L have to rely on a strong hip hop and grime showing as that's what the kids listen to. Glastonbury don't, as much, but still provided Danny Brown, Chance, Yeezy and more in recent years. It's also adept at putting in talent on the really small stages like Akua Naru and Akala last year and Oddisee this year. That in itself is something to be excited about discovering on the full lineup.

Is the Oddisee info correct? That would amazing.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Yep. Playing the Avalon Café with band on Saturday. Hoping to make it but I sense clashes are on their way.

For anyone yet to check this geezer out then he's got a free EP here from a month or two back. 

good knowledge. great EP. Check out JuJu Rogers if you haven't already. On same label as Oddisee from memory and the album is an absolute hidden classic.

2 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Jesus wept. It all hangs on D'Angelo unless they pull a big hop-hop surprise out of the bag.

i feel like all the grime we currently have + Vince Staples is about as big as the hip hop is gonna get this year. not confident on D'Angelo being there now. there must've been a reason why he was on the initial poster template at some point but then removed, and i think that's because he pulled out 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

i feel like all the grime we currently have + Vince Staples is about as big as the hip hop is gonna get this year. not confident on D'Angelo being there now. there must've been a reason why he was on the initial poster template at some point but then removed, and i think that's because he pulled out 

I'll be very disappointed then. Staple's album was very good but he's not someone I'd rush to see. Grime isn't my thing at all. Hip-hop needs a bigger presence but hey.

1 minute ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

I'll be very disappointed then. Staple's album was very good but he's not someone I'd rush to see. Grime isn't my thing at all. Hip-hop needs a bigger presence but hey.

i think Vince will be a much talked about set afterwards, and i loved the album so will definitely be checking him out, but yeah it's a shame there isn't a bit more, especially with the quality of some of the current hip-hop out at the moment and the acts touring this year. i guess due to grime being UK based and having a huge commercial peak it's much easier to book a whole bunch of that rather than American acts

24 minutes ago, jed300 said:

Gutted he isn't going to be there. Really not into grime at all so hip-hop options are looking few and far between.

Staples,  Simz, Blackalicious and Oddisee already firmly in my plans and the main stages aren't even fully out yet. Seems fine to me.

Edit: hasn't that tour nixed the Glasgow show he was supposed to be making up for? What a ball bag.

Edited by dentalplan

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Staples,  Simz, Blackalicious and Oddisee already firmly in my plans and the main stages aren't even fully out yet. Seems fine to me.

Edit: hasn't that tour nixed the Glasgow show he was supposed to be making up for? What a ball bag.

There's still tickets available for his Glasgow show on June 29th, I'll probably get one if he's not announced but given the date I find it hard to believe he won't be. 

20 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

There's still tickets available for his Glasgow show on June 29th, I'll probably get one if he's not announced but given the date I find it hard to believe he won't be. 

29th? Damn I got the dates mixed up so I retract calling him a ball bag.

But the post up the page has him playing the apparently not fictional Scranton, PA the day after Glastonbury so as people have said, that's pretty him out

Woah there doommongers

He could easily fly in to play the Friday then fly out again for his next tour date

06-22 Houston, TX - House of Blues Houston

06-24 Glastonbury - West Holts?

06-27 Scranton, PA - The Pavilion at Montage Mountain

Hope is still alive!

Edited by Junglist1981
increased positivity

18 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Add Kano in there and I'm happy enough. Still a good chance for a few more on the main stages as well.

Real shame about Anderson though...