My boyfriend cheated and we're meant to be going...should I still go alone?

Sachet88

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha whats wrong with Dads wearing converse - have they got an age limit on them ?

Nothing...but to be fair, as soon as I see my parents wearing anything I like, it instantly puts me off =p

But yes as others have said go solo, have a bloody fantastic time. Join some sort of internet /solo camp (like the one on here, or if you are on twitter check out the welcoming folks of #twisto) , come to the efests meet as its nice to have a base of friendly people. Make new friends and generally have a wondeful time, where you don't have to worry about what about someone else wants to do. You won't regret it at all!

To assure a total stranger, with a history of anxiety, that going alone to a huge music festival straight after a break-up is just dreadful advice. Look up the 'first timer mistakes' thread on here for a more nuanced description of what it may be like.

I'm not discouraging you from going, but treat it like any other social function. If you're not sure you'd cope that well at a pub on your own, then do your homework and make sure you've got definite arrangements to meet people rather than hoping that a forum 'meet' will work out - there are plenty of stories on here of people being too late, not finding them or bottling it.

I went on my own in 2013 and have no regrets. Not everyone is full of the 'vibe', but you can usually gauge whether people are going to be friendly or not. The vast majority are sound.

Do make sure you take a bit of time to pick your camping spot. Don't go for an empty patch with no tents around you - it's better to know at least one set of neighbours from the outset. I picked a field and then wandered about a bit trying to suss out groups that might be good to camp next to. I set my gear down and said hello to a crowd who barely acknowledged me - up I got and off I went again, until I found a lovely squad who welcomed me like I was an old friend. They would check in on me at night (bless!) and we would have a smoke together in the mornings before heading off for the day. It was so important to my enjoyment of the festival and made me feel safe.

I tried to pace myself with drink and all the usual sensible stuff, staying hydrated, suncream, remembering to eat etc. (there's always the one who forgets to eat for a day or two, that's usually me!). Just remember you don't have anyone on hand to remind you to do this or that or to slow down. I did have some goodies one of the nights but had met up with people I knew for the evening, and made sure I was feeling half sensible again before we parted ways.

Stay out a whole night, and on your way back to your tent go up one of the hills to watch the sun rise. It will all make sense then!

To assure a total stranger, with a history of anxiety, that going alone to a huge music festival straight after a break-up is just dreadful advice. Look up the 'first timer mistakes' thread on here for a more nuanced description of what it may be like.

I'm not discouraging you from going, but treat it like any other social function. If you're not sure you'd cope that well at a pub on your own, then do your homework and make sure you've got definite arrangements to meet people rather than hoping that a forum 'meet' will work out - there are plenty of stories on here of people being too late, not finding them or bottling it.

I get what you are saying (and agree to some extent) but there was some good advice given along with the 'just do it' posts. I think whisty's was probably best in terms of advising her to go but to also leave straight away if she got fearful. If I were Sachet88 I'd also think about seeing the doctor in order to get a small supply of diazepam (if they'll give it to her).

In any case couchy will look after her.

Sweet I'm so sorry your Ex has done this to you.

I would say go to Glasto. It seriously is the best place on Earth. You will have an amazing time. The majority of revellers there are very friendly and will chat to you and have a giggle. I definitely recommend joining a solo camping group on efests, or staring your own forum and creating your own little group. Come chat in NFR NFC forum. I chat in there a lot and they are the friendliest bunch of folks. Go to the efests meet on Wednesday, and the NFR NFC meet on Thursday.

I do hope you decide to go, and look forward to meeting you and listening to your excitement x

Go for it girl,

Hope you have the best time ever and i can honestly say i doubt you will regret any bit of it.

Good luck and be sure to ask in these forums if you need help with anything, some cracking people on Efests. :beach:

Edited by tommywillo

Basically when I said to him on the weekend about going he played the 'oh my heads all over the place' card, even though he caused it?! So I've text him telling him I'm going and its up to him if he comes, my tents got 2 rooms...but I'd be better off without him I think!

Go for it girl,

Hope you have the best time ever and i can honestly say i doubt you will regret any bit of it.

Good luck and be sure to ask in these forums if you need help with anything, some cracking people on Efests. :beach:

Yes, thank you to all the lovely people who have convinced me going is a good idea!

My minds made up, I'm going! Glasto 2015 here I come!

good on ya girl. my first year this year and going solo. my hubby was bit concerned about safety issues so I managed to get a podpad at worthy view as he felt that would be more secure, but from what I've read on here it's pretty safe. maybe have to be a bit sensible and know your limits drink wise etc. have fun!!

I'm in my fifties (wearing converse btw) and you're probably not much older than my sons, so maybe I'm feeling a bit protective...but if you were my daughter and had just been cheated on by some slime bag, I'd drive you to the drop off point, press a few notes in your hand and tell you to have a damn good time.

I'd also tell you to take care and not do anything stupid and to find a few people you might rely on if you get a bit weepy (aka a solo camper group). And I'd make sure you had a mobile phone and knew to keep it charged, just so you could give me or a forewarned mate at home a call if you ever felt the need.

Go. Go. Go.

If it's too much for you, you can always go home. But I promise you going will be the best thing you could do that weekend (and most of the rest of the year).

Basically when I said to him on the weekend about going he played the 'oh my heads all over the place' card, even though he caused it?! So I've text him telling him I'm going and its up to him if he comes, my tents got 2 rooms...but I'd be better off without him I think!

I'm not a big believer in fate, but you may meet your future husband at the festival.

(That sounds really soppy lol)

Haha! No definitely let him sleep in the same tent... so when you have mucky revenge festival sex with a random in the compartment next to him all night, he can listen to what he's missing :)

I've never done a festival before and my boyfriend has decided to cheat on me, so now I'm all alone with a ticket to Glasto. Should I still go? I'd like to meet new people but I'm quite shy!

I'm sure you realised that you were only ever likely to get one answer to that question from this collection of Glastonbury lovers, most of who are men, many of who are single!

Personally I've never been to Glastonbury alone and wouldn't be keen to try it. I've read a few comments from people on here who have and they seem to have enjoyed it but often found themselves feeling lonely.

You're best placed to know whether you'll be comfortable travelling and attending alone (i.e. if you're good at making friends and able to chat to strangers easily).

Glasto's great mind, so don't let an idiot's actions take it away from you.