Jump to content
bennyhana22

Electronica/Dance

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Lost Village has utterly ruined me. Felt like it had lost a little bit of the weirder, more rough around the edges side of it this year but it's still a great festival and I had a fucking great time. 

Moderat, Fatima Yamaha, Bicep and Avalon Emerson all smashed it. 

enjoyed myself as well but it wasn't and isn't the best festival you will go to. Musical highlights of LV were (unsurprisingly for me): Erol, Soulwax, Greg Wilson, Jackmaster and The Black Madonna . (The tribal banquet was epic as well but I only got to do this as I got an unexpected bonus at work and could afford to pay for it!) Also had some great comedians and the discussions with Bill Brewster and Greg Wilson were great to watch.

Many of the crowd were very nice and friendly but much of them were also there just to take loads of drugs and were obviously not really that into the music. We very unfortunately got camped near lots of people who were just off their faces. Its fine if you're doing it too but when you're not it does get a bit tiresome.... showing my age!!

They also expanded the capacity of the festival so the stages in the woods got pretty rammed late at night as they have no way of making these stages larger, due to the setting.

The setup doesn't lend itself too well unlike Glastonbury as the music goes off at 2am, therefore you have people up and about in the campsites till 4/5am when their drugs begin to wear off just being annoying. Whereas at glasto you can be occupied until gone 6/7am without going back to camp.

Perhaps I need to try something smaller and more music focused like Field Manouvres or, ideally, freerotation, but would probably never be able to get tickets for the latter.

Overall, really pretty good and they got loads of things right, I just think it has a bit of a confused idea of what it wants to be (Boutique festival vs massive rave up) and just lacks that X Factor that I can't describe. It seems to have a pretty loyal following and they do seem to genuinely take on board feedback so it will probably go on to be incredibly successful but at this point I wouldn't go back next year - not really a massive reflection on LV just that the festival market is very crowded and the same acts seem to play everywhere. They don't / can't really book acts that are hard to see.

It also makes me bemoan the loss of Bloc and the Bugged Out weekender as I felt the lineups were quite similar (apart from the comedy) and I enjoyed the holiday camp weekenders more than LV.

Edited by Memory Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Lost Village has utterly ruined me. Felt like it had lost a little bit of the weirder, more rough around the edges side of it this year but it's still a great festival and I had a fucking great time. 

Moderat, Fatima Yamaha, Bicep and Avalon Emerson all smashed it. 

Avalon Emerson is on tremendous form just now, haven't seen anyone say a bad word about her in ages. Also her Octo Octa remix is a gem 

Saw Dixon for the first time at the weekend, I get it now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Perhaps I need to try something smaller and more music focused like Field Manouvres or, ideally, freerotation, but would probably never be able to get tickets for the latter.

Really, really want to become a freerotation member. If anyone can help you'll be my friend forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

12 hours ago, Memory Man said:

enjoyed myself as well but it wasn't and isn't the best festival you will go to. Musical highlights of LV were (unsurprisingly for me): Erol, Soulwax, Greg Wilson, Jackmaster and The Black Madonna . (The tribal banquet was epic as well but I only got to do this as I got an unexpected bonus at work and could afford to pay for it!) Also had some great comedians and the discussions with Bill Brewster and Greg Wilson were great to watch.

Many of the crowd were very nice and friendly but much of them were also there just to take loads of drugs and were obviously not really that into the music. We very unfortunately got camped near lots of people who were just off their faces. Its fine if you're doing it too but when you're not it does get a bit tiresome.... showing my age!!

They also expanded the capacity of the festival so the stages in the woods got pretty rammed late at night as they have no way of making these stages larger, due to the setting.

The setup doesn't lend itself too well unlike Glastonbury as the music goes off at 2am, therefore you have people up and about in the campsites till 4/5am when their drugs begin to wear off just being annoying. Whereas at glasto you can be occupied until gone 6/7am without going back to camp.

Perhaps I need to try something smaller and more music focused like Field Manouvres or, ideally, freerotation, but would probably never be able to get tickets for the latter.

Overall, really pretty good and they got loads of things right, I just think it has a bit of a confused idea of what it wants to be (Boutique festival vs massive rave up) and just lacks that X Factor that I can't describe. It seems to have a pretty loyal following and they do seem to genuinely take on board feedback so it will probably go on to be incredibly successful but at this point I wouldn't go back next year - not really a massive reflection on LV just that the festival market is very crowded and the same acts seem to play everywhere. They don't / can't really book acts that are hard to see.

It also makes me bemoan the loss of Bloc and the Bugged Out weekender as I felt the lineups were quite similar (apart from the comedy) and I enjoyed the holiday camp weekenders more than LV.

you should definitely try Houghton next year. Music was top class, the sound and location was amazing and the music was continuous- it was a 72 hour non-stop party but despite that the crowd were very chilled and not too 'messy.'

Edited by joeh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Saw Dixon for the first time at the weekend, I get it now 

Wait 'til you see Dixon for the second time, third time... - then you'll get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/08/2017 at 0:27 PM, Memory Man said:

Many of the crowd were very nice and friendly but much of them were also there just to take loads of drugs and were obviously not really that into the music. We very unfortunately got camped near lots of people who were just off their faces. Its fine if you're doing it too but when you're not it does get a bit tiresome.... showing my age!!

They also expanded the capacity of the festival so the stages in the woods got pretty rammed late at night as they have no way of making these stages larger, due to the setting.

The setup doesn't lend itself too well unlike Glastonbury as the music goes off at 2am, therefore you have people up and about in the campsites till 4/5am when their drugs begin to wear off just being annoying. Whereas at glasto you can be occupied until gone 6/7am without going back to camp.

Perhaps I need to try something smaller and more music focused like Field Manouvres or, ideally, freerotation, but would probably never be able to get tickets for the latter.

This pretty much echoes my thoughts. I had a great weekend and saw some top sets but found the number of people there for reasons other than the music and the early finish a little frustrating. Next year Houghton for me for sure.

I was also at the Bill Brewster talk (highlight), sat right up front next to Nina :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Printworks November lineups not really doing it for me... Blueprint aside. But not sure how many would come to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, joeh said:

 

 

you should definitely try Houghton next year. Music was top class, the sound and location was amazing and the music was continuous- it was a 72 hour non-stop party but despite that the crowd were very chilled and not too 'messy.'

it did sound absolutely class Houghton, from the reviews I read. I will bear it in mind for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OBface said:

This pretty much echoes my thoughts. I had a great weekend and saw some top sets but found the number of people there for reasons other than the music and the early finish a little frustrating. Next year Houghton for me for sure.

I was also at the Bill Brewster talk (highlight), sat right up front next to Nina :) 

We were sat on the right hand side! small world :D I thought it was ace that she stuck around for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i still don't get why, given the myriad of other options in London, why anyone would bother with printworks. Ok if you are big into your techno then fair enough for the blueprint one but the rest of them are just beyond dull & generic lineups by numbers.

but they had better blueprint lineups at studio spaces which was a smaller venue so not sure how that works.

Edited by Memory Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Memory Man said:

but they had better blueprint lineups at studio spaces which was a smaller venue so not sure how that works.

The Blueprint line up is a little disappointing considering the fantastic nights they've had over the bank holiday in previous years (and which I mourned the loss of this year). Still got tickets like. 

Awful lot of dross on the other November line ups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Memory Man said:

We were sat on the right hand side! small world :D I thought it was ace that she stuck around for it.

In which case I probably have a (sneakily taken) photo of you. Very small world!

I'm fairly underwhelmed by the autumn line ups so far. WHP are probably the best but then it wouldn't be my first choice venue. I'll likely come down for one of the MCDE/XOYO dates mind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, OBface said:

I'm fairly underwhelmed by the autumn line ups so far. WHP are probably the best but then it wouldn't be my first choice venue. I'll likely come down for one of the MCDE/XOYO dates mind.

Yep. Nights in London seem to sell out really quickly now as well - that Hessle Audio takeover of Bussey went very fast. Found myself sticking to Oval Space/Pickle Factory/Corsica the past year, really. Though don't go out as much as I used to :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same boat. Nothing printworks have announced has made me excited

got early bird tickets for hessle at bussey, excited for that

Also houghton is a must for next year.. looks absolutely class 

Edited by Matt42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing much tickled my fancy are PrIntworks, I've got tickets for MCDE in November and Alkan in September. I really like the look of the Halloween night at Oval Space, and sadly took too long to organise troops for Hessle at Bussey, which is a pain because I live a 15 min walk from it now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lost village was worth it just for Ben UFO bringing out this banger 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bicep album really isn't that good...

feels like they've waited almost too long / rushed it. The hype for it last summer was massive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

The bicep album really isn't that good...

feels like they've waited almost too long / rushed it. The hype for it last summer was massive.

I've not had a chance to listen yet, I'm not big into Bicep to be fair - thoroughly enjoyable live set at Dekmantel though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be going to bestival next weekend - going purely to see the gems. Also my home home is 15 min drive away so why not

Anyone else going? Wonder how many of my non techno friends I can convince to see bjarki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2017 at 11:25 AM, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

Ended up at the Alkan night yesterday, was really good, now trying to summon the strength to travel back to Hampshire in advance of a trip to Spain to watch the cycling. 

 ah man how was the b2b with gerd? gutted to miss that one!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 11:13 AM, Matt42 said:

The bicep album really isn't that good...

feels like they've waited almost too long / rushed it. The hype for it last summer was massive.

Biceps album is 10/10 from me. what were you expecting? slower paced stuff that flows really well.

Edited by mike86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 8:25 PM, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I've not had a chance to listen yet, I'm not big into Bicep to be fair - thoroughly enjoyable live set at Dekmantel though. 

Bicep, Byron the Aquarius and Palms Trax were the stand outs at Dekmantel for me. Sadly cant find any of the mixes online. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×