Metallica 2014

JamesT977

Don't quite get this. It's one thing being open minded to music you wouldn't usually hear when you're bumbling around and come across something in a tent. Its quite another to take two hours out of peak time at the festival to see something you're pretty sure you'll dislike just in case you don't dislike it. I've listened to the black album and the one with the cross-shaped tombstone on the front and I can safely say that I wouldn't enjoy it live - I don't see why I should sacrifice something like john grant, which I would enjoy, for the sake of 'trying something different'. I'll try plenty of different things at the festival... But when it comes to headliners, I'd rather have something I know I'd like.

Fair enough sir, couldn't agree more (though for me, I'll be there)

I do think it's a good booking though, if only to shit up the picnic brigade at the pyramid.

Despite liking Metallica, I think it's a good booking too and the picnic brigade will be forced to see some of the other treats Glastonbury has to offer - win/win.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if you read my post you'd find it wasn't aimed at people like you, if you've had a listen and there not your cup of tea fair enough but there seems to be a fair few people slagging off the booking simply because its a metal band and you just know that if theyve even heard anything by them at all its only enter sandman from the few times MTV has got a bit rocky haha

To my ears pretty much all metal sounds quite similar though. I mentioned that I'd listened to two Metallica albums and decided I dislike the music - is that enough? If it had been two songs? How much time/money/effort are you expecting people to put into being 'open-minded' about a band's music?

I think people posting the south america setlists is misleading. We'll get a lighter set than that. They know the S.A. fans are DIEHARD metallica fans. They want the old stuff, that they haven't had as often as Europe has. We won't get as much of the heaviness.

Also, I class T00L as prog metal, only cos I can't find a better description. They're my favourite band too, but to those that like metal, they aren't metal. To those that dislike metal, they are metal.

Undertow is pretty metally all the way through (worst album IMO). Then you've got tracks like Hooker with a penis, Aneima and 3rd eye that could all be classed as metal. Progressive, yes (esp. 3rd eye), but still metal. Only parts of The Grudge and Ticks and Leeches, then Triad are metal on Lateralus.

10K days by far the most progressive IMO. Wings/Rosetta.... woah.

I would say tool are the thinking mans metal

Lol thats a good way to describe Tool I like that :)

Also, I class T00L as prog metal, only cos I can't find a better description. They're my favourite band too, but to those that like metal, they aren't metal. To those that dislike metal, they are metal.

Undertow is pretty metally all the way through (worst album IMO). Then you've got tracks like Hooker with a penis, Aneima and 3rd eye that could all be classed as metal. Progressive, yes (esp. 3rd eye), but still metal. Only parts of The Grudge and Ticks and Leeches, then Triad are metal on Lateralus.

10K days by far the most progressive IMO. Wings/Rosetta.... woah.

Thats a good sum up, I would say though that some of the title track on Lateralus is quite 'metal' and I would consider bits of 10,000 Days as 'metally' for want of a better word!

In order my list of the Tool albums: Lateralus, Undertow, Aenima, 10000 Days - controversial I know I just love Undertow, Swamp Song and Flood are 2 of my fave songs of theirs. Swamp Song at Wembley was great, so many people around me at that gig had no idea about that song, quite a lot of people there had obviously just heard the 'main' 3 Tool albums and the promoted songs off the first obviously

I've been following this thread for a couple days after searching for news of an announcement date and thought I would contribute.

I'm a massive Metallica fan and have seen them all over the world this will be a special show and one to be remembered by fans for a long time. I had no intention of going to glastonbury until I heard the rumours and took the risk and purchased a ticket in the recent resale.

The premiss of there current tour is "Metallica by request" so everyone who buys a ticket gets a code to vote for the 17 songs they want played plus a brand new song called the lords of summer

Hopefully this will be the case with glastonbury too once an official announcement has been made, so in theory if we were all on the same page we could make a setlist consisting of only load/reload songs or include never played songs like "the frayed ends of sanity"

Out of interest, I am very familiar with Metallica and listen to them a lot but have never seen them live or know much about them other than their music, so for Metallica fans is their one gig in their history that stands out as their defining gig? A Stone Roses -Spike Island kind of thing?

Out of interest, I am very familiar with Metallica and listen to them a lot but have never seen them live or know much about them other than their music, so for Metallica fans is their one gig in their history that stands out as their defining gig? A Stone Roses -Spike Island kind of thing?

This is the most famous show Moscow 1991

Edited by twiztidtiger

ive been going to metallica gigs for almost 30yrs I've seen em all over Europe..I can't really think of one show that stands out as there defining show.

They pretty much do the business every time they play.

Personally one show that stood out for me was a download show..the year when lars took ill on route to the show which resulted in drummers from the other acts filling in for lars.

It's the only time in the history of metallica lars has missed a gig...really was once in a life time show.

Ps. When lars was asked a similar question he brought up the Moscow show when they played to a reported 500'000 as a defining gig

Edited by Brian73

i was at that one as well it was awesome to see Metallica with Dave lombardo(slayer).and the slipknot guy etc good on them for not cancelling either like a lot of bands would...fortunately They are the kind of band whose songs are well known so could easily be picked up by sub drummers

yeah hats of to the guys for still going ahead with the show and everyone that stepped into the little Danish tub thumpers shoes did a great job

Yeah I think so too, very cheesy and I think that song is shit.

If they play I won't be there but I hope e everyone else has a good time :)

awesome song..maybe if you took a minute to understand the subject matter of the lyrics..master of puppets is about cocaine addiction.

Master being the drug and puppets being the users,no doubt you think metallica is singing about the devil and killing people!!! Yeah drug addiction and what is does to people is very cheesy song lyrics!! Richard Ashcroft take note!

Metallica cheesy no,leave that to pop groups

Edited by Brian73