Metallica 2014

JamesT977

If Metallica can capture even a thimbleful of the atmosphere at the start of JayZ they'll be off to a good start. Unique moment for me in my years of going. Tangible sense of "You wanna push this festival around and tell it what it can and can't do?? You've gotta go through 70,000 of us first."

Remarkable and unforgettable experience.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metallica will go down a storm, I don't see what the problem is, it's nice to have something different even if you don't personally like it. For example I think Stevie wonder is an incredibly boring bible basher, but he still deserved to headline the pyramid.

I was there that year, I don't understand all the hate. I thought he was very good and the people who don't seem to agree either watched something else or watched on TV.

I could see Metallica going the same way. People who like them stay and say it's amazing and those who watch some of the set aren't too bothered. I can't see it converting anybody to huge fans much as Jay Z didn't.

If Metallica can capture even a thimbleful of the atmosphere at the start of JayZ they'll be off to a good start. Unique moment for me in my years of going. Tangible sense of "You wanna push this festival around and tell it what it can and can't do?? You've gotta go through 70,000 of us first."

Remarkable and unforgettable experience.

Nicely put.

Whatever can be said about the rest of the show, that video and how it was received made Jay-Z a success at Glastonbury.

All praise to him for having the bottle to do it. Given he was having a pop at one of the UK's bigger musical heroes it was a brave and risky thing to do, and he got everything about it just right.

Yep out of all the headliners I've seen there are only 2 I can clearly remember the intros for. Jay Z and bowie (and probably only bowie because I've sene it so many times on youtube..). Oh and stevie wonder actually cos of that damn keytar!

We will still be talking about jay z in 10 or 20 years for sure. That field was utterly electric for 5 mins.

Oh the whole gig was dire. The first ten/fifteen minutes unforgettable.

Ah yeah getcha.

Metallica is going to be far more divisive, I fear.

Unfortunately I think you're right here if they play the Pyramid. The Other Stage crowd is more accepting of a bit of madness. Its almost required.

Who is to say Metallica would play how they would at Leeds or Download on the pyramid?

They have shown they can play differently. Horses for courses maybe?

how else would they play? if people go to see Metallica, they want to see Metallica do what they do - not cater to the masses out of fear that it won't be received all that well

and yet the smart festie bands know to cater for the masses if they want to be received at their best.

cater for the masses as in play a greatest hits type set, which Metallica always do. apart from that i don't really see how else Metallica could cater for the masses and not totally compromise their show?

how else would they play? if people go to see Metallica, they want to see Metallica do what they do - not cater to the masses out of fear that it won't be received all that well

I mean doing something like an S&M style performance. So it is still Metallica, but with a twist. More palletable for certain tastes. (I'd be happy with either tbh)

cater for the masses as in play a greatest hits type set, which Metallica always do. apart from that i don't really see how else Metallica could cater for the masses and not totally compromise their show?

'greatest hits' is only a part of it. They also need to respect the fact that the people in front of them are not all their fans, and that the people in front of them have not come to see them they just happen to be stood there at the current time.

The point of that is if they are not respected - tried to be won over (however that might be done) - they *will* leave.

There's no formula to how it's done, but it's easy to spot when it is done from when its not.