Weather

Guest Mr Andre

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so much better when it's warm & dry, and anyone who says anything to the contrary is delusional.

As is anyone who believes ANY forecast issued ANY time before the Monday of festival week.

However, that won't stop us pontificating and praying to whoever !

I still predict this thread will top 200 pages before the festival starts.

2011 was my first the mud was indescribably bad. Friday night was the worst not only after watching U2 But the trudge back to my tent at the top of the dairy field was a nightmare. Poor family's with prams must have been having a nightmare. But the Sunday was bad as there is no shade from the sun. So I'm a fair to middlin type of guy but i agree NFRNFC

People seem to forget the Saturday and Sunday was almost a heat wave. Going in was awful- rain rain rain and pissed wet through stuff. Then Friday night was awful during U2. I remember the rain being ice cold as well and walking back to the tent against gale force wind/rain. Not the best that bit

People seem to forget the Saturday and Sunday was almost a heat wave. Going in was awful- rain rain rain and pissed wet through stuff. Then Friday night was awful during U2. I remember the rain being ice cold as well and walking back to the tent against gale force wind/rain. Not the best that bit

2011 was a simple, limited-hassle walk in the park compared to 2007!!

Anyone remember that horror? The full 2007 vileness (IMO) came from the prolonged many hour downpour of Sunday afternoon and evening, this put the REAL killer onto the already wet and muddy preceding days. Ie the worst happened when you were already mud-knackered.

Do agree 2011 was mixed, but mixed beats full on all-fest mudbath.. At least 2011 recovered nicely by the end!

I went for about six or seven weeks after G2007 determined never to go back. Major crisis decision that, given that 2007 was my 12th.

But then I went to another festival subsequently in summer 2007 that was hot and sunny (it was a one off that dreadful year) ie I acquired some perspective. The risk of grumping out of the next Glasto and seeing lots of sunshine on telly was a good sanity-restorer too.

And what happened? Very pleasant in 2008, mostly sunny and in fact not too hot (for wimps! Myself I'd have preferred hotter) either. And 2008 was my first year working not puntering too.

Not looked back since, and of 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011, only 2011 has had any significant mud at all. So there really are more better years than worse ones.

Edited by William of Walworth

I think 2007 would have been worse without the rain on Sunday. The place was far too muddy to be able to sit down already, so the last thing you want in those conditions is for it to be baking hot as well.

Then again, I loved every minute of 2007, much preferred it to 2010. I like rain, and I hate being hot. I realise i'm a bit of a freak in that regard, which is why I've decided to avoid the NFR NFC thread.....

My Glastonbury Festival Weather History from the beginning of time until now :

1984 : Warm and sunny, predominantly. Fairly vague memories mind!

1985 : Failed to go. On my finals at uni. Mates went though, and their truck got bogged down axle deep in the mud. First proper large scale true Glasto mudbath. Full on Mudbath I, in fact.

Horror stories put me off going back until ......

1994! Yes I know. Idiot that I was ...

But yes, I was an idiot, because of the years 1986-1987, 1989-1990 and 1992-1993 [1988 and 1991 were fallow], the predominant theme was HOT AND SUNNY with only temporary 2011 like exceptions for bits of them.

1989 (mega heatwave), 1992, 1993 were especially rain and mud free and sun dominated I understand.

So back I go again :

1994 : Warm and sunny, mostly.

1995 : Hot and sunny, with the partly cloudy exception of Sunday morning.

[1996 : Fallow]

1997 : Full on Mudbath II

1998 : Full on Mudbath III

1999 : Dry. DRY and then some more DRY. Mostly cloudy, not much sun, not all that warm, a couple of hours of light but persistant rain on Sunday morning. But you could SIT DOWN!

2000 : Crazy party year, many zillions of fencejumpers and mad fuckers and dodgy sorts and all night parties. Me : Continuously wrecked, chaining the weed and necking the beer n cider all day every day. Can't remember much other than it DIDN'T RAIN (except very early on for a shortish while), plenty of sun, pleasantly warm ...

[2001 : Glasto sorts itself out fallow year. Superfence built ahead of 2002]

2002 : No rain lots of sun. Warm.

2003 : No rain, lots of sun. Hotter.

2004 : Mixed. Very windy and plenty of showers on arrival on Wednesday, similar Thursday, weirdly warm and sunny on Friday, then quite a lot of on/off showers, some heavy, on Saturday and Sunday, but no really bad mudbath. Friday apart, no significant sun/warmth, but mud levels were polite to us.

2005. Wednesday to Thursday night : Very hot and sunny. Thursday night : Several hour serious downpour with floods. Friday and Saturday : Site recovering, but no more rain, getting warmer/sunnier again.. Sunday : Properly hot and sunny again and mud mostly gone.

[2006 : Fallow year]

2007 : Full on Mudbath IV to the max. Vile in every respect. My worst Glastonbury ever. Strangely enough, my true online Glastonbury weather obsessions began after this! For some unaccountable reason ... ;)

2008 : Pleasantly dry and mostly sunny, not stupidly hot though.

2009 : A bit of rain and slight mud early on, but similar to 2008 overall.

2010 : Wall to wall sunshine and increasingly hot as the fest went on.

2011 : You all remember. Mixture of sun and mud depending which day you mean ... but not excessively muddy even on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Lovely and sunny and getting hot again on Sunday.

Sure some of you will disagree with some details of the above, but main point is that my veteran Glasto recollections say ...

There've been many more mud free (and limited mud) Glastonburies than full on mudbaths!

Hope this is encouraging.

Hope so, because this year will be my 17th (and fifth as a worker).

Edited by William of Walworth

Amazing work!

I'm glad that 2007 is largely regarded as one of the worst. It was my first one, and whilst I was pretty fed up by the time The Who came on, after the event we all reflected on the good times and have been back every time since. Makes me feel I can handle anything Glastonbury throws at me, although it is 10x better when you can sit down and move around the site easilu

Bumping this thread as I prefer it to the NRFC whatever it is. Some proper weather people on here - William of Walworth etc. Been following his weather posts since 95! On that note didn't it get banned due to all the dodgy pictures of half naked Germans people were posting in 2011? There were a few other top contributors but they moved over to NetWeather I think. Come on back, it's nearly that time again! Keep it clean tho........

2007 was appalling, I had an overnight shift on a gate on the saturday night and I have never been so wet and so cold.

But then again by the sunday of 2010 I near enough had heatstroke and was unable to go and watch one of my all time heroes, Slash, on the pyramid stage for lack of shade so its a tough one. Theres a real lack of shade onsite.

So i would like no rain and intermittant sun please. Goldilocks weather.

Christ.

I don't understand how so many people can get Glastonbury attire so wrong. I take a fairly limited set of clothes and manage to cope with all extremes of weather easily.

Sun is the easiest of all to deal with - just stick with loose fitting, lightweight, light coloured clothes and you can't go wrong - add a suitable hat and you're sorted. I burn like anything, melt in heat, and sun cream has no effect whatsoever on me - yet didn't have a single problem in 2010 - if I can do it, then so can anyone who's packed sensibly.

1995, 2003, 2010. I'm sure these have been the best weather wise since 1990.

2007 has been the worst weather, I;m sure of it. But the site was much worse in 1997/1998 because it wasnt as well drained as it is now.

As someone said, if the festival had been on last year it would have been abysmal.

In conclusion, and bear in mind I have a Grade A in Geography at Alevel (when they were still hard too) so my view can my taken as gospel, the weather will be:

thurs: DRY AND SUNNY.

fri: 2am-11am: HEAVY SHOWERS 11am-midnight: BREEZY into HOT SUNSHINE

Sat-sun: HOT SUNSHINE

monday: RAIN

Edited by russycarps

Well here's my positive spin on trends ...

The previous gap weekend year - 2006 - was hot sunny and dry and would have been the perfect Glasto weekend. The first year back after that gap year - 2007 - was the worst ever.

So on this (very dubious) basis - and the fact that the Glasto weekend last year was abysmal and would possibly have been the worst ever, I predict wall-to-wall sunshine and no wet stuff for this years festival.