Little Red Rooster

(Howlin' Wolf cover)

Down in the Bottom

(Willie Dixon cover)

Dust My Blues

(Elmore James cover)

Little Queenie

(Chuck Berry cover)

Note: Ian Stewart tribute concert. Charlie Watts arrived late, Simon Kirke on drums for the first five songs. Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Pete Townshend, Jack Bruce, and Chuck Leavell guest on various songs.'

Sounds a belter. But I'm not surprised he didn't enjoy it. ;)

I don't know how they get away with it. There was a documentary on a little while back, dispatches maybe, that showed they were getting tickets direct from promoters and selling them as soon as they were released to the public. Seatwave, viagogo, letmein, all the same. Licensed touts

Yep, and there was some fallout on the back of that (R&L ditched them as official partners and didn't Radiohead have stringent processes for their next tour?) but they aren't doing anything illegal. Very very immoral, but if promotors/venues/bands are happy to support it and people are willing to use the service then unforunately history has shown that the world will keep on turning. It requires effective legislation to police and unfortunately there isn't any at this moment in time.

Yep, and there was some fallout on the back of that (R&L ditched them as official partners and didn't Radiohead have stringent processes for their next tour?) but they aren't doing anything illegal. Very very immoral, but if promotors/venues/bands are happy to support it and people are willing to use the service then unforunately history has shown that the world will keep on turning. It requires effective legislation to police and unfortunately there isn't any at this moment in time.

Yeah for the radiohead tour you were supposed to have to produce the confirmation email, photo id and the card used to purchase, although when i went through all i gave was the email. Good idea and it certainly deterred most touts as there were very few kicking about on ebay and seatwave etc, although there were some complaints from people who couldn't make it that they had no way of getting their money back. Agree that it needs legislation to sort out. Takes the piss when you look for an event on ticketmaster for example, and it links directly to one of these sites (viagogo i think). You know they've sent some tickets there directly so they can sell them at an inflated price and whack on an enormous booking fee. c**ts

although there were some complaints from people who couldn't make it that they had no way of getting their money back.

Yeah this is the problem, the more strictly you police re-selling tickets the more you reduce the option for people with a genuine need to re-sell a ticket. The more you open up the market to free genuine ticket sellers to sell when they need to the more the system is open to abuse by people just looking to make money.

Personally I think doing what they do with football tickets (and some others, not entirely sure which ones) and allowing re-sales but with only a certain percentage of the face value allowed to be added on (to cover postage, etc.) is the way to go. Then people can re-sell tickets if they need to but won't really make any money out of it, and bedroom touts and these re-sale companies wouldn't be able to add scandalous mark-ups to make money. Would probably be hard to police touts outside venues though, we'd go back to old-school touting rather than online touting.

Yeah this is the problem, the more strictly you police re-selling tickets the more you reduce the option for people with a genuine need to re-sell a ticket. The more you open up the market to free genuine ticket sellers to sell when they need to the more the system is open to abuse by people just looking to make money.

Personally I think doing what they do with football tickets (and some others, not entirely sure which ones) and allowing re-sales but with only a certain percentage of the face value allowed to be added on (to cover postage, etc.) is the way to go. Then people can re-sell tickets if they need to but won't really make any money out of it, and bedroom touts and these re-sale companies wouldn't be able to add scandalous mark-ups to make money. Would probably be hard to police touts outside venues though, we'd go back to old-school touting rather than online touting.

The problem with that is that an ebay listing or gumtree ad can say, pay me 100 quid and i'll resell to you at face value through the official channels. The only other thing i can think of is to allow refunds from the ticket companies up until a week or two before the event, if you find out you can't go afterr that, then it's tough luck. This will lead to more work for the ticket companies, and the chance of unsold tickets though, so they're not going to be keen. I don't think there is an ideal solution unfortunately

You could resell Radiohead tickets for face value through The Ticket Trust, as far as I am aware you had no contact with the buyer, the tickets would just appear on their site as to purchase and when they became available.

Obviously named tickets does make things more difficult for any 'arrangements' between the promoters and any secondary tickets companies - cant imagine why the Stones promoters didn't go for it............rolleyes.gif

Yeah for the radiohead tour you were supposed to have to produce the confirmation email, photo id and the card used to purchase, although when i went through all i gave was the email. Good idea and it certainly deterred most touts as there were very few kicking about on ebay and seatwave etc, although there were some complaints from people who couldn't make it that they had no way of getting their money back. Agree that it needs legislation to sort out. Takes the piss when you look for an event on ticketmaster for example, and it links directly to one of these sites (viagogo i think). You know they've sent some tickets there directly so they can sell them at an inflated price and whack on an enormous booking fee. c**ts

how many times have you ever bought tickets for a gig then not been able to make it though? I can only think of one time ever out of all the gigs I've been to.

I reckon the fact the tickets arent going to touts out weighs the tiny possibility you might not be able to go and make a loss on your ticket

Probably a bit of both, if we're going to be scrupulous. I'm out the country anyway, so don't need to even ponder it, but if I was in town I'd probably be hanging around outside the O2 before the show in the hope of snapping up a bargain.

I only live a 15mins drive away so I'll be doing exactly the same thing I think

Can't be arsed to read the rest of the thread, so someone might have already said this, but o2 have a strict no touting/reselling policy outside their venue. So my tip, and it worked a treat with a show a year ago or so, is find some unsuspecting punter with a spare ticket looking to sell, and say "yes mate", while negotiating a price walk with him towards a member of 02 security outside the venue. Happy you've settled on a price, do the transaction right in front of their eyes. The security will step in and stop the transaction and say he can only give the ticket away or hand it in at the box office. Dude gave me the ticket for free. Bought him a pint in there and then lost him quickly.

Worked a charm

We went to see Pearl jam in At the O2 in Berlin earlier this year. We went twice and we didn't see a single tout there once. I have no idea what they've done to stop it but it was definitely working. On the flip side we saw them a week or so before in Manchester and you couldn't move for touts offering you tickets.

how many times have you ever bought tickets for a gig then not been able to make it though? I can only think of one time ever out of all the gigs I've been to.

I reckon the fact the tickets arent going to touts out weighs the tiny possibility you might not be able to go and make a loss on your ticket

Never. I agree, I think Radiohead had as good a system as you're going to get. Needs more bands to follow suit.

I do wonder how much the anti touting measures affected the ticket price though, with ticketmaster knowing they couldn't ship any straight off to viagogo. Unsure of how the prices are set exactly, so could be talking out of my arse. 70+ quid was a lot for me, well worth it though

We went to see Pearl jam in At the O2 in Berlin earlier this year. We went twice and we didn't see a single tout there once. I have no idea what they've done to stop it but it was definitely working. On the flip side we saw them a week or so before in Manchester and you couldn't move for touts offering you tickets.

Thats interesting to know as I was in Berlin at the time and thought I would pop along and see if I could pick up a ticket for this but due to a mis communication between myself and the public transport system I never actually made it (whizzed past it a bit though...) so it does make me feel a bit better knowing there weren't any touts there so I wouldn't have got in anyway laugh.png

(sorry, off topic!)

sorry because I have had a stroke I an not sure if you mean there was no events in 1982

as I know there was a major European tour in 1982

see

http://en.wikipedia....opean_Tour_1982

for all the dates

Aye - I meant after that tour finished and Steel Wheels kicking off in the autumn of 1989. And even then, that tour only arrived in Europe in 1990 (the Hampden gig of that tour being the first time I saw them).

The Stu tribute, of course, falls between those dates, but like magicmojo I figured anyone who was there would be slightly more than a casual fan - if not an actual blood relative of the band.

On the subject of touting outside the O2, all the Stones fans will be in The Pilot Inn beforehand, which might be your best place to 'score, as it were.

Aye - I meant after that tour finished and Steel Wheels kicking off in the autumn of 1989. And even then, that tour only arrived in Europe in 1990 (the Hampden gig of that tour being the first time I saw them).

funny enough it was also Glasgow where I first saw them -

8 March 1971 at the Greens Playhouse { years later it was renamed The Apollo } http://en.wikipedia....reens_Playhouse

it was a busy time as they were back in Glasgow 16/17 September 1972 at the Greens Playhouse.

it was very similar to the Hammersmith Odeon { which was later renamed The Hammersmith Apollo } although a bit smaller.

I saw them at the 100 Club in '82. Keith was great, Mick was annoying as he's ever been. I don't know what it is.... he just became an unbearable parody of anything that was great about him. The way he sang in particular... Mick is why I'm not bothered about them anymore

Crossfire Hurricane shows his transformation into parody Mick. They didnt mean it to happen but its unavoidable.

Can't be arsed to read the rest of the thread, so someone might have already said this, but o2 have a strict no touting/reselling policy outside their venue. So my tip, and it worked a treat with a show a year ago or so, is find some unsuspecting punter with a spare ticket looking to sell, and say "yes mate", while negotiating a price walk with him towards a member of 02 security outside the venue. Happy you've settled on a price, do the transaction right in front of their eyes. The security will step in and stop the transaction and say he can only give the ticket away or hand it in at the box office. Dude gave me the ticket for free. Bought him a pint in there and then lost him quickly.

Worked a charm

This happened to you once, by mistake, didn't it? And now you're trying to make it sound like it was purposeful because you think it would make you cool, even though it would make you a bit of a dick.

OK, which one of you is Julie Birchill?

Mick Jagger by Philip Norman - review

Julie Burchill

the observer Sat 20 October 2012

You can't always get what you want: the title of one of the Rolling Stones's best songs mocked me as I surveyed this 600-page deadly weapon of a book. I was hoping by now to be tucked up tidy with Morrissey's long-awaited autobiography but failing that would have to content myself with this extensive examination of Mozza's complete pop-star opposite a priapic, black-music-thieving jet-setter who has been a staple of the gossip columns as much as the arts pages for the past half a century.

Stop me if you think you've heard this one before! As I advanced wearily through this book, I could have sworn I'd already read it. That's because most people over the age of 40 could recite the two-timing-table of Jagger's life without even having to think twice. PE teacher dad; meets Keith Richards on train; starts singing in a funny voice which he fondly imagines to be that of an American black man of a certain age; Andrew Loog Oldham; Altamont; Bianca; Jerry Hall; lifelong penny-pincher.

Yes, he made a lot of records on the way. But compared to contemporaries like the Kinks or the Monkees, even the best Rolling Stones records of the 60s and 70s are hard to listen to without wincing; the whiff of Dad-dancing unmistakably surrounds them, drowning out the more exotic scents that once made them seem so edgy. They have gone far beyond the realms of parody and are irretrievably the soundtrack to Jeremy Clarkson strutting his funky stuff at endless weddings of the clans of the Boden-clad damned.

From what I can gather from slightly older friends, young people mainly liked the Rolling Stones initially because parents didn't care for them. But parents don't care for measles, mumps or chickenpox either that doesn't mean youngsters should embrace them as totems of lust. And surely Jagger is one of the most cold-blooded conservatives ever to pose as a red-blooded rebel. Sure, he had his 60s flirtations with Tom Driberg and Angela Davis but he was off to the south of France like a shot in the 70s when the chance to avoid paying tax raised its ugly head.

It's his attitude to money, I suppose, as much as his idiot-dancing which renders Jagger so unattractive to me; stinginess is the halitosis of the soul, and MJ reeked of it. His most frequent query whenever a tour is coming up is the peevish "Are we paying for that?". The Marsha Hunt episode sums up MJ's inherent slipperiness horribly. He sees a photo of her and fancies her: she soon gets a phone call from the Stones office, which is looking to promote the forthcoming single Honky Tonk Women by asking her to pose in "tarty clothes" alongside the whole band. She declines, explaining that she prefers not to look as if she's "just been had by all the Rolling Stones". She is sleeping with the far prettier Marc Bolan, and finds old Liver Lips easily resistible. But won over by his alleged "shyness and awkwardness", this seemingly intelligent woman is persuaded by the slimeball to have his baby, despite the somewhat eye-popping fact that his nickname for her is good golly, Miss Marsha! "Miss Fuzzy" and that he is shacked up with Marianne Faithfull. In return, he pens for her the tender love song entitled Black Pussy, later changed to Brown Sugar.

Then he meets Bianca, thinks better of it, denies paternity and generally pretends he hasn't got a pot to piss in. (Incredibly, he lends Hunt a ring she likes in the later stages of her pregnancy this superstar, already a millionaire many times over.) A decade later he is still griping about the events on the title track of the Some Girls album "Some girls give me cheeld-run Ah never asked them faw" (Norman's phonetic translation of Jagger's preposterous Delta-blues-bad-boy singing voice is one of the book's modest delights).

In the Hunt episode, Jagger's stinginess and misogyny combine to reveal him as a truly unappetising creep. But fittingly, as one who stole his vocal and his dancing style from others, this most tricky of shadow puppets seems insubstantial compared to the women in his life, whether it is Faithfull making him read books, Bianca making him talk French (she comes out of it as a nasty piece of work, pleasingly, her insistence on complete servility from the Stones's employees making a neat counterpoint to her failed reinvention as champion of the wretched of the earth) or Jerry Hall making him look like a Lothario in later life when he inexplicably manages to bag her from the far more desirable Bryan Ferry.

And of course, casting the biggest shadow of all, like some epic scarecrow, is Keith Richards, a man whose glamour and charisma increase at the same rate as the wrinkles on that beautiful Red Indian face. Ask yourself if any reigning film star would have dreamed of basing the hero of a hit film on Jagger as Johnny Depp did on Richards in Pirates of the Caribbean and you would have to say no, as Bette Davis played Baby Jane Hudson quite a while ago.

Large though this book is, it labours in the shadow of other tomes both written and unwritten, and one of them is of course Richards's brilliant, bestselling autobiography Life, published in 2010. A couple of others are Philip Norman's two books about the Rolling Stones, which means that quite a lot of this one seems rather familiar. And the final book, which does not bode well for this one, is the autobiography which Jagger himself (albeit with a ghostwriter) promised and failed to deliver in the early 80s on account of the interview tapes that were to make up the meat of the matter being judged much too boring. It must have hurt him to hand back a million pounds but he bore it bravely: "This isn't working, is it?" he concedes to the book's distraught editor before they even sit down. It is always admirable when someone admits that they do not have a book in them; let us hope that Mr Norman learns from his subject's example for future reference, as he has surely delighted us with this strand for long enough now.

http://entertainment.stv.tv/music/196284-mick-jagger-and-keith-richards-talk-about-the-rolling-stones-glastonbury/

Asked about rumours the band will perform at the Glastonbury festival, Jagger said: "Oh Glastonbury, there is always, every time there is Glastonbury we are always rumoured to play there, someone usually says ' Oh wouldn't it be great '.

“Like Ronnie always says 'Ah it would be great to play Glastonbury,' but I don't know. I haven't heard anything about it really, just what I read in the paper..."