NEXT GEN CONSOLES

Guest tHomBleached

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The eurogamer review confirmed my fears about this game. I dont think its for me, I'm sure it will be GOTY for many - but I simply dont have the time or the inclination to play a game that takes 40+ hours to complete and doesnt really get going until halfway through.

I'm sure the artstyle and direction and tech are amazing, but fetchquests bore the shit out of me.

This paragraph was the most telling of all for me

"So the plot has a habit of progressing to its conclusion regardless of how well or badly you perform. L.A. Noire's game world may be impressively open, but you consistently hit the narrative equivalent of invisible walls. It's initially disappointing to realise how prescribed its corridor of story is, how carefully led by the hand you are, and how little you can affect events."

The eurogamer review confirmed my fears about this game. I dont think its for me, I'm sure it will be GOTY for many - but I simply dont have the time or the inclination to play a game that takes 40+ hours to complete and doesnt really get going until halfway through.

I'm sure the artstyle and direction and tech are amazing, but fetchquests bore the shit out of me.

This paragraph was the most telling of all for me

"So the plot has a habit of progressing to its conclusion regardless of how well or badly you perform. L.A. Noire's game world may be impressively open, but you consistently hit the narrative equivalent of invisible walls. It's initially disappointing to realise how prescribed its corridor of story is, how carefully led by the hand you are, and how little you can affect events."

You have to give Rockstar credit for trying something different. They could be like some game companies and just churn out same game after same game every year. And whilst RDR is similar to GTA, there was enough new stuff and different stuff in it for it work on its own. LA Noire obviously has similarities to GTA, but as a concept its never been done before (as far as I can see) and it probably wont be done again. Rockstar could've quite easily just gone to GTA5, raked in a load of cash and nothing would've been said. At least they have tried something different.

You have to give Rockstar credit for trying something different. They could be like some game companies and just churn out same game after same game every year. And whilst RDR is similar to GTA, there was enough new stuff and different stuff in it for it work on its own. LA Noire obviously has similarities to GTA, but as a concept its never been done before (as far as I can see) and it probably wont be done again. Rockstar could've quite easily just gone to GTA5, raked in a load of cash and nothing would've been said. At least they have tried something different.

Edited by The Nal

except, that's not really the case is it. They have at least 8 studios working on various games, and at least the same as many again external partners they work with (such as Team Bondi who've done Noire). The rate at which they've been releasing games is deceptively slow, especially considering they all use basically the same engine.

I was thinking about doing this over the weekend but wasn't sure if I should - worried it might wreck old but good memories of it and all that. But seeing you write that has convinced me I should.

I must have played that Statue Of Liberty opening level a hundred times.

You have to hand it to Rockstar, a boundary has definitely been pushed and that must be a good thing. I expect LA Noire is going to me something of a flawed classic, much like the first Mass Effect was. But if the game is good enough, you should be able to see past those flaws and appreciate the good points of the game.

I bet LA Noire 2 will blow you away.