Emily Eavis talk in Oxford

gooner1990

There's something about the recent uptick in Raye hype, particularly with the BRITs wins, that doesn't sit right with me. Not to go all tin hat but I've been wondering if part of it is a ploy to artificially boost her popularity in an attempt to create another international British superstar at a time when there's a dearth of them.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, incident said:

She's certainly bigged up acts - "almost like a 4th headliner", and "could easily headline".

But as best I can remember, she's always stopped short of calling them actual headliners?

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Yeah I don’t think she has either… because they are not! 

They definitely went on record that Lizzo was co-headlining. Lizzo even referenced it in interviews.

4 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

I’m well out of touch with some of the stuff here. I’ve never even heard of Raye or Ice Spice. I’ve heard of the others but couldn’t name a song by SZA, Dua Lipa, Doja Cat or Olivia Rodrigo. 

sad to say, yes you are. the festival is always going to dip its toe in the past and the future, otherwise it gets left behind. For every Arctic Monkeys looking bored as sh*t theres a young sza, olivia rodrigo or dua lipa delighted at the opportunity to showcase their talents... and the musics great too. 

All those artists have had some of the biggest songs of the last few years.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

I’m well out of touch with some of the stuff here. I’ve never even heard of Raye or Ice Spice. I’ve heard of the others but couldn’t name a song by SZA, Dua Lipa, Doja Cat or Olivia Rodrigo. 

These pesky kids and their new music. 

8 minutes ago, crumbler said:

There's something about the recent uptick in Raye hype, particularly with the BRITs wins, that doesn't sit right with me. Not to go all tin hat but I've been wondering if part of it is a ploy to artificially boost her popularity in an attempt to create another international British superstar at a time when there's a dearth of them.

This.

2 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

sad to say, yes you are. the festival is always going to dip its toe in the past and the future, otherwise it gets left behind. For every Arctic Monkeys looking bored as sh*t theres a young sza, olivia rodrigo or dua lipa delighted at the opportunity to showcase their talents... and the musics great too. 

All those artists have had some of the biggest songs of the last few years.

I don’t like Arctic Monkeys either but I get your point 🙂. To be fair there is still enough on the Park, WH and Woodsies for me and bits and pieces on the Pyramid and Orher are a bonus. The whole place is stilL amazing but line ups move on in terms of what’s popular. As they should. You can’t keep wheeling out the likes of Coldplay forever… ah. 😁

8 minutes ago, kpins said:

These pesky kids and their new music. 

😁 

I listen to new stuff all the time. This stuff isn’t for me though - which is fine by the way. 

Edited by Chip Batch

12 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

They definitely went on record that Lizzo was co-headlining. Lizzo even referenced it in interviews.

Yeah but not in relation to the legend/tea time slot.  And the Lizzo thing was questionable too, defensive talk for having no women on the top line.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

I don’t like Arctic Monkeys either but I get your point 🙂. To be fair there is still enough on the Park, WH and Woodsies for me and bits and pieces on the Pyramid and Orher are a bonus. The whole place is stilL amazing but line ups move on in terms of what’s popular. As they should. You can’t keep wheeling out the likes of Coldplay forever… ah. 😁

wasnt suggesting you were but feels like the only headliners that will appease a majority of people online would be radiohead, arctics, pulp, oasis, nick cave, blur, depeche mode, the who... do you see a pattern? 😄 

ps i love all those bands. but it just goes back to the festival having a future. for every arctics / radiohead there just has to be a kendrick lamar, dua lipa, sza, olivia rodrigo, stormzy etc. 

you are right about other stages, sometimes people act like theres one stage or that if they dont get 3 pyramid headliners they want the lineups sh*t. hopefully they stop trying for tickets 🤣

2 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Oh, absolutely. It's plenty going for it.

If we want to bring infamous streaming metrics into it, that's three artists inside the fifteen top-streamed artists in the world per month at the most recent count (Dua Lipa at #8, Coldplay at #10 and SZA at #13).

By those basis presented, this is a very strong trio.

I guess... I guess with Dua Lipa and SZA still being relatively nascent in the world however, it doesn't scream all-timer on paper the way other years have. 

100% agree. It does feel like it’s missing that very big name that people come to expect with Glastonbury. I suppose Coldplay fit into that area in a way. Certainly not in the way an AC/DC, Madonna,Bruce would. 

17 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

They definitely went on record that Lizzo was co-headlining.

She just simply wasn't though. There was a few empty platitudes around the announcement  time cause of backlash re no female headliner. There were 3 headliners as there always have been. Lizzo was a sub.

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yeah but not in relation to the legend/tea time slot.  And the Lizzo thing was questionable too, defensive talk for having no women on the top line.

If they wanted Lizzo as a headliner they could have.... not booked GnR and just has her play last. They didn't cause she isn't and wasn't

1 minute ago, Ncahir94 said:

100% agree. It does feel like it’s missing that very big name that people come to expect with Glastonbury. I suppose Coldplay fit into that area in a way. Certainly not in the way an AC/DC, Madonna,Bruce would. 

to which demographic are those names big? id argue that the next generation have never heard of those artists... 

they have heard of dua lipa and sza though.

25 minutes ago, crumbler said:

Did you hear her live performance? Not even a big fan but come on. Credit where credit is due

26 minutes ago, crumbler said:

Interesting. I can't say it quite struck me in the "Hey, everyone's banging on about this Wet Leg lot, aren't they?" mould, but the coverage has absolutely erupted since the BRITs slate.

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

If they wanted Lizzo as a headliner they could have.... not booked GnR and just has her play last. They didn't cause she isn't and wasn't

She could have headlined though, but that’s beside the point here.  It was a brilliant set, made better by the glorious weather! Ah, the memories 😎

27 minutes ago, crumbler said:

Pretty tin foil.

Maybe she's just talented and you (and me) only noticed her after the million BRIT wins

4 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

to which demographic are those names big? id argue that the next generation have never heard of those artists... 

they have heard of dua lipa and sza though.

I’d be delighted with the predicted lineup. What I meant to add was the older clientele that frequent glasto, especially Sunday would come to expect a name like the ones I mentioned 

10 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

wasnt suggesting you were but feels like the only headliners that will appease a majority of people online would be radiohead, arctics, pulp, oasis, nick cave, blur, depeche mode, the who... do you see a pattern? 😄 

ps i love all those bands. but it just goes back to the festival having a future. for every arctics / radiohead there just has to be a kendrick lamar, dua lipa, sza, olivia rodrigo, stormzy etc. 

you are right about other stages, sometimes people act like theres one stage or that if they dont get 3 pyramid headliners they want the lineups sh*t. hopefully they stop trying for tickets 🤣

Yep, totally agree 🙂

I couldn’t get a ticket last year but the year before my headliners were Little Simz, Macca and Porridge Radio (crow’s nest). My wife was ill so we left and I had to skip Kendrick Lamar.

I'm all for new headliners whether I like them or not isn’t the main factor - though it’s great when I do! The festival needs to keep moving with the times. It still always has plenty for most people anyway regardless of who headlines the Pyramid. 

Edited by Chip Batch

1 minute ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Interesting. I can't say it quite struck me in the "Hey, everyone's banging on about this Wet Leg lot, aren't they?" mould, but the coverage has absolutely erupted since the BRITs slate.

cause she won about 20. Nothing strange about it imo

1 minute ago, stuie said:

She could have headlined though, but that’s beside the point here.  It was a brilliant set, made better by the glorious weather! Ah, the memories 😎

For me personally, I don't think she should have if she had. But if I sit on it in hindsight, Arctic Monkeys and Elton John were absolutely strong enough to gamble on her if they'd wanted.