UK Politics

kalifire

38 minutes ago, clarkete said:

This is the scum's political editor

20230714_021432.jpg

Who you have just quoted in order to make a point, I wasn't suggesting we should be reading The Sun for any insight, just that it was O.K. to quote articles for discussion and criticism, I'm certainly not a Sun reader, in fact don't actively look at any news site except BBC, and don't believe half of what they say either! Most of the news stories linked on here seem to come from the Guardian, I seem to read plenty of them without being unduly influenced, have ended up reading Pink News too via links on here, no harm in seeing other views even if they are not as objective and balanced as you would like.

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Who you have just quoted in order to make a point, I wasn't suggesting we should be reading The Sun for any insight, just that it was O.K. to quote articles for discussion and criticism, I'm certainly not a Sun reader, in fact don't actively look at any news site except BBC, and don't believe half of what they say either! Most of the news stories linked on here seem to come from the Guardian, I seem to read plenty of them without being unduly influenced, have ended up reading Pink News too via links on here, no harm in seeing other views even if they are not as objective and balanced as you would like.

you agree that newspapers set out to influence people though ? maybe not yourself but that is the ultimate aim , and to propagate the views and influence of the owner whoever that might be .... in terms of Murdoch I believe that is hateful and divisive and why would I choose to entertain that ? and as above it's just lies .... so I dont actually believe that in this case me reading the daily mail or the scum has any advantages whatsoever 

7 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

you agree that newspapers set out to influence people though ? maybe not yourself but that is the ultimate aim , and to propagate the views and influence of the owner whoever that might be .... in terms of Murdoch I believe that is hateful and divisive and why would I choose to entertain that ? and as above it's just lies .... so I dont actually believe that in this case me reading the daily mail or the scum has any advantages whatsoever 

Virtually all media has some bias, whether they are seeking to influence their readers or simply attract readers is another question, The Sun is undeniably popular so we should be able to monitor what they are saying, that is my position, If you can't bring yourself to see content on The Sun, Mail, GB News etc. then that's fair enough but others may want to see and comment.

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

Virtually all media has some bias, whether they are seeking to influence their readers or simply attract readers is another question, The Sun is undeniably popular so we should be able to monitor what they are saying, that is my position, If you can't bring yourself to see content on The Sun, Mail, GB News etc. then that's fair enough but others may want to see and comment.

so its reasonable for me (personally )  not to want to see hateful content and lies  ? or do I have to see this as some kind of weird thing where I view it and my position doesnt change it just entrenches further ... ive seen the damage of Murdoch why do I need to see further proof the mans an asshole whos done massive damage to this country 

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

you should read around a bit, because not all sites include all relevant facts. only yesterday i couldn't decide what raynor had actually promised about stepping down, because of poor reporting and no definitive version of the truth.

Easy to forget Murdoch backed Trumps opponents in the 2016 republican primaries and even tried to set up the debate on his channel to take Trump out. He only fell behind him when it was clear he was going to win. I think certain media outlets are very good at front running public opinon and then claiming to be the voice of the people but terrible at actually influencing it.

5 minutes ago, lost said:

Easy to forget Murdoch backed Trumps opponents in the 2016 republican primaries and even tried to set up the debate on his channel to take Trump out. He only fell behind him when it was clear he was going to win. I think certain media outlets are very good at front running public opinon and then claiming to be the voice of the people but terrible at actually influencing it.

murdoch likes to back winners to then collect from them.

Sunak is going to be in trouble this week with a free vote on the smoking ban. Will Go through cos labour support it.the liz truss fan club are going to vote against it because we must let our kids kill themselves.

5 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

So just out of interest, what is your newspaper or publication of choice?

if you think back a few years there was loads of complaints (mainly by corbyn fans ) about opinion and comment pieces in the papers like they shouldn't exist, i don't ever remember a complaint like that about owen jones!

for politics -  opinion and comment pieces hold a lot of value, politics is about opinions, so comment on opinions is where the value of policy can be explained and examined.

corbynites hatted opinions of their man because they tended to highlight his flaws. - there was a lot to be said of them because he had so  many because he was a sh*t politician.

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

Well that's a Guardian article, the irony is The Sun would never have published that.

You simply don't know that. 

They've crossed some extraordinary taboos which I was flabbergasted they didn't get prosecuted for. 

Screenshot_20170211-023826.png

27 minutes ago, Neil said:

if you think back a few years there was loads of complaints (mainly by corbyn fans ) about opinion and comment pieces in the papers like they shouldn't exist, i don't ever remember a complaint like that about owen jones!

He gets a phenomenal quantity of vitriol, every social media site, all the newspapers you'd expect, clearly we know he's been assaulted too. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1885171/Owen-Jones-Palestine-Gaza-Israel-row

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1880783/owen-jones-princess-kate-apology

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1881318/owen-jones-israel-palestine-politics

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/labour-mp-mocks-owen-jones-over-quitting-party-with-brutal-elton-john-swipe/ar-BB1kvDia

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/owen-jones-was-a-once-bold-thinker-warped-by-social-media-5f6pt73k8

6 hours ago, Neil said:

you kiddng?

you mean people don't complain about Guardian because that's mostly who he writes for?

56 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you kiddng?

you mean people don't complain about Guardian because that's mostly who he writes for?

people complained about stuff that undermined corbyn, no problem with sycophantic support.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

ok, well Owen Jones gets sh*t loads of vitriol aimed thrown at him for what he writes and says, you know that right?

yes, he wasn'y complained about like others were.

Just now, steviewevie said:

Like who?

the ones who pointed out corbyn's flaws, jones thought corbyn was a good choice as labour leader and that the press treated him unfairly by talking about his non-achievements.