UK Politics

kalifire

3 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I find it hilarious listening to Tories banging on about adults making their own decisions (regardless of those decisions hurting others) and yet every single one of those Tories saying this wanted Cannabis reclassified as  a Class A drug.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

ciggie ban bill passed...bit of a tory rebellion though, liberal scum.

Got to admit I'm a bit conflicted on this , although at heart I'm a libertarian who thinks the government should keep out of my personal choices, I can see the harm tobacco does and want to protect the young. My 4 daughters all started smoking despite me and my wife being non-smokers and telling them not to smoke, the problem is, if you agree to ban smoking you have to agree to ban cannabis and other recreational drugs as they all have a negative health effect. As it happens, 3 of the 4 have now quit smoking so maybe it's not quite as bad a problem as first appears. Do you really want the government to decide what you should and shouldn't be allowed to consume? Bear in mind alcohol isn't that healthy. Really don't have a strong position on this as nicotine is so addictive and smoking so deadly. Can't see why people should be allowed to buy carcinogenic products.

Conservative former minister Nick Boles wrote in a letter to the Times this morning.

… “On one side is a billionaire Tory peer, Lord Ashcroft, and a multimillionaire Tory prime minister, Rishi Sunak, whose families have all avoided paying millions of pounds in U.K. tax as beneficiaries of non-dom status and who live lives of luxury. On the other is a woman who grew up in poverty caring for her illiterate mother, who is now mother to a child who is registered blind, and who through her own guts and character has risen to be deputy leader of the Labour Party. Even Rayner’s accusers accept that the most she might have benefited from the error that they allege ­— and which she denies — is less than £3,000 in tax.”

“I suppose that her attackers cannot bear the idea that they are about to lose to a woman who pulled herself up by her bootstraps. And who is going wipe the floor with them.”

https://www.thepoke.com/2024/04/16/you-dont-have-to-be-a-labour-voter-to-appreciate-this-former-tory-mps-magnificent-letter-about-conservative-attacks-on-angela-rayner/

16 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Why is Braverman there and not in the commons where she is being paid to be?

Why does Farage go to Brussels to talk about things 'that matter to British people'?

So many questions about a room full of nationalists spouting their hate

Farage can't give up being in Europe.

8 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Got to admit I'm a bit conflicted on this , although at heart I'm a libertarian who thinks the government should keep out of my personal choices, I can see the harm tobacco does and want to protect the young. My 4 daughters all started smoking despite me and my wife being non-smokers and telling them not to smoke, the problem is, if you agree to ban smoking you have to agree to ban cannabis and other recreational drugs as they all have a negative health effect. As it happens, 3 of the 4 have now quit smoking so maybe it's not quite as bad a problem as first appears. Do you really want the government to decide what you should and shouldn't be allowed to consume? Bear in mind alcohol isn't that healthy. Really don't have a strong position on this as nicotine is so addictive and smoking so deadly. Can't see why people should be allowed to buy carcinogenic products.

Cannabis is already banned.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Inflation down to 3.2%. The plan is working etc. So, will the bank cut rates seeing as employment figures a bit dodge, but also inflation bit sticky in US and they might not be cutting rates...?

BET NOW!

august for rate cuts.

34 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Yes, badly worded, what I meant was, it is hard to argue that cannabis should be legalised, as many do, if you also support this measure.

Smoking was always the reason it wasn't legalised.if it's legal then other ways of consuming start to become practical. If someone is processing into a product they're more likely to come to the old bill's attention and get nicked.

Theres a shop near me selling products over the counter on the quiet.

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Lock her up

might go out and do some crime seeing as the police are all busy with this Rayner stuff.

No one cares about electoral role crimes. I told my local electoral role geezer I had a vote elsewhere and to take me off the role else I'd have two votes and he wouldn't remove me.

10 hours ago, gizmoman said:

£17 billion a year an act that is known to cause harm to people who do it and people who don't costs the NHS each year.

We all pay towards that - why should I pay for someone to kill themselves in a long and nasty way?

I smoked for 21 years btw.

Also, if smoking is OK and people should be allowed to make their own choices as an adult how come the same group of MP;s who want to let peope smoke and don';t want them to have cannabis also do not want Assisted Dying?

Surely assisted dying is adults making theoir own choice.

15 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

£17 billion a year an act that is known to cause harm to people who do it and people who don't costs the NHS each year.

We all pay towards that - why should I pay for someone to kill themselves in a long and nasty way?

I smoked for 21 years btw.

Also, if smoking is OK and people should be allowed to make their own choices as an adult how come the same group of MP;s who want to let peope smoke and don';t want them to have cannabis also do not want Assisted Dying?

Surely assisted dying is adults making theoir own choice.

In recent history the huge tax on fags, coupled with the premature deaths of smokers (of which I too was one) , meant that they were a net benefit to the NHS. 

Intriguingly now the tax estimate has dropped, which may be explained by the big switch to vaping), but their estimate of the cost to the NHS has simultaneously surged, where you would clearly expect that  drop too. 

https://fullfact.org/economy/does-smoking-cost-much-it-makes-treasury/

https://www.politics.co.uk/reference/tobacco-duty/

23 minutes ago, clarkete said:

In recent history the huge tax on fags, coupled with the premature deaths of smokers (of which I too was one) , meant that they were a net benefit to the NHS. 

Intriguingly now the tax estimate has dropped, which may be explained by the big switch to vaping), but their estimate of the cost to the NHS has simultaneously surged, where you would clearly expect that  drop too. 

Cost to NHS has maybe gone up cos women smokers will now be in the mix. Women tended not to habitually smoke until about (I'm guessing the era)  1960-ish

30 minutes ago, clarkete said:

The £17 billion I quoted was taken from BBC News last night btw

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

Yes, badly worded, what I meant was, it is hard to argue that cannabis should be legalised, as many do, if you also support this measure.

yeah well we're all full of contradictions, well I am anyway. 

Actually I am not sure how I feel about this ban as I am kind of for the legalisation of drugs, and have enjoyed the odd ciggie in my time, actually a lot of ciggies. But, it is bad for people, and NHS is full of patients suffering from things caused by their smoking, so maybe they should just ban everything bad for you. Imagine that? No more fags, booze or cakes.