UK Politics

kalifire

2 hours ago, Neil said:

just want to say that British heart foundation is £450 richer today, after i went on a furniture buying spree for my new flat in their bristol shop.

i feel good for reusing stuff and BHF benefitting  rather than buying new tat from amazon (my original plan). just about all sorted now for my big move next week.

Good luck with the move 😊

24 minutes ago, Neil said:

Completely relevant to find out if you're consistent and hold others to account in the same way you've gone for ozanne.

Or if it's just how you troll.

are you just ignoring the part where i said I don't like, vote for or support the snp in anyway. I've actually said this multiple times over the years here lol

Just read a possible reason why Rayner reported she lived apart from her husband. She bought the council house at a discount in 2007. If she moved out in 2010 to live with her husband she would have to repay some of the discount.  If true its more serious than the tax allegation.

4 hours ago, lazyred said:

Yep no press coverage at all for Wragg.

image.jpeg.e31f0c74900cc28d208e6cbbfb96c671.jpeg

I think it’s fair to say the DM have given much more attention to the Rayner story than the Wragg one. The Wragg one in theory is much more serious too. 

On 4/11/2024 at 7:46 AM, zahidf said:

The Cass report has some very dodgy parts to it. No clinical treatments until your 25? WTF?

Also ignores ANY study in the last 2 years and any study which isnt 'double blinded', which is of course impossible for hormone therapy. 

Looks like an anti-trans stich up to me. Hopefully the report will be up for peer review

The BMJ cover this  https://www.bmj.com/content/385/bmj.q837

One emerging criticism of the Cass review is that it set the methodological bar too high for research to be included in its analysis and discarded too many studies on the basis of quality. In fact, the reality is different: studies in gender medicine fall woefully short in terms of methodological rigour; the methodological bar for gender medicine studies was set too low, generating research findings that are therefore hard to interpret. The methodological quality of research matters because a drug efficacy study in humans with an inappropriate or no control group is a potential breach of research ethics. Offering treatments without an adequate understanding of benefits and harms is unethical. All of this matters even more when the treatments are not trivial; puberty blockers and hormone therapies are major, life altering interventions. Yet this inconclusive and unacceptable evidence base was used to inform influential clinical guidelines, such as those of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), which themselves were cascaded into the development of subsequent guidelines internationally

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Angela says to Tories.."COME ON THEN YOU f**kING SCUM!"

I feel for her, it all seems very personal from the Tories.

On 4/10/2024 at 11:37 PM, Ommadawn said:

Interesting that they didn't demolish the Colston Hall (which might have moved the issue forwards) but re-named it instead. It's the same f**king building and most people I know still call it by it's original name. 

The victorian carcass of the building was sound and was what they built the new venue around. 

I don't know anyone that uses the old name, but there are a lot of whining old bigots in Bristol who bang on about it, but never went anyway. 

1 hour ago, lazyred said:

Just read a possible reason why Rayner reported she lived apart from her husband. She bought the council house at a discount in 2007. If she moved out in 2010 to live with her husband she would have to repay some of the discount.  If true its more serious than the tax allegation.

no one ever lied to get the buying discount! in the first wave of council house sales it was the standard. same as how everyone used to lie about their wages to get a bigger mortgage, wasn't fraud so much as twisting the rules back to something fairer.

Edited by Neil

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

no one ever lied to get the buying discount! in the first wave of council house sales it was the standard. same as how everyone used to lie about their wages to get a bigger mortgage, wasn't fraud so much as twisting the rules back to something fairer.

man, maybe it isn't so simple as her being dodgy. So much classism, misogyny and snobbery with this. Maybe she bought a council house for her and her family, and then met someone and lived some or even most of the time with him, but didn't understand some of the tax rules like most of us? Maybe she doesn't want to go public with everything to protect her family.

LONG LIVE ANGELA! f**k THE SCUM!

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

man, maybe it isn't so simple as her being dodgy. So much classism, misogyny and snobbery with this. Maybe she bought a council house for her and her family, and then met someone and lived some or even most of the time with him, but didn't understand some of the tax rules like most of us? Maybe she doesn't want to go public with everything to protect her family.

LONG LIVE ANGELA! f**k THE SCUM!

problem is this is slightly distasteful at every level, from taking up the opportunity to buy a house on the cheap, to twisting the rules to fit the reality, and minimise problems for yourself (at that time).

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

problem is this is slightly distasteful at every level, from taking up the opportunity to buy a house on the cheap, to twisting the rules to fit the reality, and minimise problems for yourself (at that time).

how is it dodgy buying her council house?

Edited by steviewevie

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I think it’s fair to say the DM have given much more attention to the Rayner story than the Wragg one. The Wragg one in theory is much more serious too. 

Well. of course they have. It's a Tory paper. What else would you expect?

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

The victorian carcass of the building was sound and was what they built the new venue around. 

I don't know anyone that uses the old name, but there are a lot of whining old bigots in Bristol who bang on about it, but never went anyway. 

Maybe true in Bristol. Certainly down this neck of the woods it's still referrred to as The Colston Hall by most people I've heard. I guess it's use will gradually fade away.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Not dodgy at all, but doesn't she want to restrict the same opportunity for others? It's the same with Diane Abbott. She was a firm opponent of private schools but still sent her kids to one.

9 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Not dodgy at all, but doesn't she want to restrict the same opportunity for others? It's the same with Diane Abbott. She was a firm opponent of private schools but still sent her kids to one.

Different things. Benefitting from a thing but also wanting to replace that thing with something fairer is ok in my books. Especially for people like Rayner and Abbott.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Different things. Benefitting from a thing but also wanting to replace that thing with something fairer is ok in my books. Especially for people like Rayner and Abbott.

It's still hypocrisy

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

kin'ell man we going to go back and go through everything about every single politician to find anything that could be perceived as dodgy? Good job I never went into politics.

Oh no, not every single politician.

It's the tories getting desperate in election year and perpetually trying to distract the news agenda from the sh*t filled rivers, national debt, massive donations from racists, etc etc ad infinitum.

Edited by clarkete

7 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

It's still hypocrisy

not really. Rayner is against it now because the housing stock does not get replaced, it is a failed policy which yes some people like her benefited from at the time but now we are paying the price.

With Abbott, I have no idea what her views on private education, but she probably would like the state school system to support black kids better in state school so that their life chances were as good as white kids...and so that wealthier black people didn't feel like they need to send their kids to private schools.

12 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I didn't say dodgy I said distasteful  because its encouraging the selling of of council houses.

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

Oh no, not every single politician.

It's the tories getting desperate in election year and perpetually trying to distract the news agenda from the sh*t filled rivers, national debt, massive donations from racists, etc etc ad infinitum.

They've nailed rayner Down to agreeing to stand down if she's done anything wrong. She might have messed up the paperwork for her address but as long as there's nothing obviously fraudulent about it.its considered a technical error and isn't prosecuted. Makes it easier for the old bill to say she's done something wrong.