UK Politics

kalifire

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

well yeah, he should have allowed a vote.

Indeed, hence why they made many, many, many changes to the law to restrict the powers of unions, thus invalidating @Neil's point about what a terrible nuisance he finds them.  

https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/news/2023/01/how-conservative-governments-destroyed-union-rights/

He's free to substantiate claims about what they do. 

As I see it, the right to be in a union is strictly controlled, the right to strike is strictly controlled - so if you see a strike today then it's because the workers took part in a secret ballot and they were bloody livid - eg. doctors, junior doctors, teachers, etc

Edited by clarkete

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

The Cass report makes very sober reading, Appendix 4 especially and how Cass was actively prevented from trying to collect even rudimentary follow up data from GIDS. 

Labour's (Streeting's) response should be tempered in the context of Anneliese Dodds recent doubling down last night on the problematic conversion therapy bill:

A Labour conversion therapy bill would inadvertently have criminalised Cass, and other's looking to provide evidence-based care, for not 'affirming' children who believe they are transgender. Lloyd Russell-Moyle's private member's bill was presumably a dry run of what a Labour government's position would be:

"A Bill to prohibit practices whose predetermined purpose is to change a person’s sexual orientation or to change a person to or from being transgender; and for connected purposes."

The combining of 'orientation' with 'transgender' is one of the reasons why the Tories ended up dropping it in it's current form because they were engaging with Cass and the fallout from the Tavistock, which all happened after they started the bill.

Cass concluding that a more 'holistic' approach to caring for gender confused children (i.e. paying attention to co-morbidities) has historically been viewed as 'transphobic' by Stonewall. Hopefully, the Cass report will result in children being treated with more appropriate care for their needs rather than blanket affirmation in the future.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Indeed, hence why they made many, many, many changes to the law to restrict the powers of unions, thus invalidating @Neil's point about what a terrible nuisance he finds them.  

https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/news/2023/01/how-conservative-governments-destroyed-union-rights/

As I see it, the right to be in a union is strictly controlled, the right to strike is strictly controlled - so if you see a strike today then it's because the workers took part in a secret ballot and they were bloody livid - eg. doctors, junior doctors, teachers, etc

yes, but the point is also that Scargill quite possibly f**ked it by not allowing that vote...and that helped Thatcher's government do what they did. It was ideological for both sides, and now we're all Thatcher's children (or grandchildren for me).

10 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

The Cass report makes very sober reading, Appendix 4 especially and how Cass was actively prevented from trying to collect even rudimentary follow up data from GIDS. 

Labour's (Streeting's) response should be tempered in the context of Anneliese Dodds recent doubling down last night on the problematic conversion therapy bill:

A Labour conversion therapy bill would inadvertently have criminalised Cass, and other's looking to provide evidence-based care, for not 'affirming' children who believe they are transgender. Lloyd Russell-Moyle's private member's bill was presumably a dry run of what a Labour government's position would be:

"A Bill to prohibit practices whose predetermined purpose is to change a person’s sexual orientation or to change a person to or from being transgender; and for connected purposes."

The combining of 'orientation' with 'transgender' is one of the reasons why the Tories ended up dropping it in it's current form because they were engaging with Cass and the fallout from the Tavistock, which all happened after they started the bill.

Cass concluding that a more 'holistic' approach to caring for gender confused children (i.e. paying attention to co-morbidities) has historically been viewed as 'transphobic' by Stonewall. Hopefully, the Cass report will result in children being treated with more appropriate care for their needs rather than blanket affirmation in the future.

yeah, I don't know enough about it...but it is so toxic and political as Cass has pointed out. My 12 year old cousin is transgender and I know her parents were going to do some of this stuff...no idea how that is going. Difficult.

Edited by steviewevie

...and I hate to be a reactionary old conservative...but with this and neurodivergency and mental health issues more and more young people are being diagnosed with all this stuff and getting help/care/medication and at same time they are getting more and more unhappy? Something seems wrong. Are we over doing it, or not doing enough?

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

I didn't say I Found them a newsiance. I simply referenced how thatcher used unions against unions

while those unions  played into her hands.

1 hour ago, Kurosagi said:

Surely the cas report is pointing out that trans activists are f**king things up for trans people by not allowing discussion.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, I don't know enough about it...but it is so toxic and political as Cass has pointed out. My 12 year old cousin is transgender and I know her parents were going to do some of this stuff...no idea how that is going. Difficult.

The rise of gender identification amongst the younger generation is notable, especially compared to older generations. In the US, LGBT(etc.) identification is around 20% of Gen Z (rising from 15% in 2020) compared to 3% of Gen X (stable and unchanged over the last 10 years).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/719685/american-adults-who-identify-as-homosexual-bisexual-transgender-by-generation/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

Surely the cas report is pointing out that trans activists are f**king things up for trans people by not allowing discussion.

I believe that could be the tl;dr summary.

Passionate people with social justice concerns are finding out the hard way that not everyone who cares about due diligence on novel treatments is a... <insert slur of choice>.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, clarkete said:

Could be worse I could be a Facebook supporting libdem.

sturgeon's prosecution for fraud is  delayed by the latest scottish govt diversion of 4,000 hate crimes.

(probably fewer hate crimes in tory england, and toryland is always hateful to an indie-loving scot.

nearly four years after the toppling of the colston statue, bristol councillors can't agree  on  suggested words for a new plaque where a slave trader's statue once stood.

which only highlights why pulling the statue down was the only way to take the issue forwards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51nk118zeyo

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

Isn't that how it should be rather than workers being forced to strike in a company car park in case they were victimised afterwards.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

nearly four years after the toppling of the colston statue, bristol councillors can't agree  on  suggested words for a new plaque where a slave trader's statue once stood.

which only highlights why pulling the statue down was the only way to take the issue forwards.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51nk118zeyo

Interesting that they didn't demolish the Colston Hall (which might have moved the issue forwards) but re-named it instead. It's the same f**king building and most people I know still call it by it's original name. 

46 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Isn't that how it should be rather than workers being forced to strike in a company car park in case they were victimised afterwards.

There are certainly a number of the reforms which were necessary, what I was pushing back against was the Thatcher-lite "because unions are still f**king with people's lives, and the people don't like to be f**ked with" codswallop. 

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

Interesting that they didn't demolish the Colston Hall (which might have moved the issue forwards) but re-named it instead. It's the same f**king building and most people I know still call it by it's original name. 

its going to take a while for the new name to embed, its only just re-opened so hasn't had a chance yet. the hall had no connection to colston except the name. now the local council aren't honouring a slaver's name with taxpayer's cash (including lots of taxpayers who's ancestors were enslaved).it'll have a chance to move on.

the whole colston thing was a long running issue in this city lets hope no one is so stuck to the past that they can't move on.

1 hour ago, Ommadawn said:

the unions gave thatch an easy target she couldn't miss.

The Cass report has some very dodgy parts to it. No clinical treatments until your 25? WTF?

Also ignores ANY study in the last 2 years and any study which isnt 'double blinded', which is of course impossible for hormone therapy. 

Looks like an anti-trans stich up to me. Hopefully the report will be up for peer review

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The Cass report has some very dodgy parts to it. No clinical treatments until your 25? WTF?

Also ignores ANY study in the last 2 years and any study which isnt 'double blinded', which is of course impossible for hormone therapy. 

Looks like an anti-trans stich up to me. Hopefully the report will be up for peer review

Isn't the problem the lack of evidence about what doing this stuff does in long run?

26 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Isn't the problem the lack of evidence about what doing this stuff does in long run?

Probably be easier to get this evidence if she bothered to include the reports on them, instead of putting them to a much higher standard than other such evidence.