UK Politics

kalifire

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yes, but Reform and Green.....if Labour don't improve things within next parliament where will support go...back to the Tories? Not so sure.

depends what the policy pitches are. there's  votes to be won if they can win the voter's trust winning that trust would be difficult for corbyn and abbott - they both have well known history's that many voters find repellent.

13 hours ago, steviewevie said:

no probably not. I guess we could change our electoral system...but doesn't seem much eagerness for that from the big parties for obvious reasons. But...looking across europe and it's all about the rise of populist right anti immigrant and anti net zero parties, so not sure how eager I am either.

Which is exactly what those who the system benefits want............... an electorate who just accept it or decide to disengage with it.
They are winning on all fronts and people like me who have been pro change for their life see no real point anymore and think perhaps the time has come to give up and just live the rest of our lives outside of 'societal norms'

9 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Yeah maybe. I do scan all the papers each day to get a balanced view of events but I've cleared my cache and am still getting them

It's the cookies that dictate what ads you see. Unless you clear all cookies, including the ones you want (no easy way to see which you do and which you don't) then you get ads based on recent web browsing and newer cookies with a few older ones. Also a few 'sponsored' ones as well.

Edited by Nobody Interesting

54 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It's the cookies that dictate what ads you see. Unless you clear all cookies, including the ones you want (no easy way to see which you do and which you don't) then you get ads based on recent web browsing and newer cookies with a few older ones. Also a few 'sponsored' ones as well.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Which is exactly what those who the system benefits want............... an electorate who just accept it or decide to disengage with it.
They are winning on all fronts and people like me who have been pro change for their life see no real point anymore and think perhaps the time has come to give up and just live the rest of our lives outside of 'societal norms'

so what change do you want? 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so what change do you want? 

Blimey, where to even start...............................

In simple terms changes to almost everything and how it is done as it does not benefit the masses how it is done now. Everyone should be able to see that as the evidence is everywhere.

The world is full of hate, anger, conflict, war etc - this happens because of how systems are set up and as a result of these the electorate move further into the space that generates such.

History shows us where it all likely leads.

Perhaps as history is there to teach us maybe we try a different way - like Costa Rica did and so far so good.

I could go into detail here but it would take me days to do it and few would read it all and take much notice so there really is no point.

The world is run by those who created the systems and the systems work fine for them - so they will not change the systems. Until such time as we reject all the 'normal' parties then those systems will not change.

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

You write that like you get no benefit from the current system.and you ignore that the changes you'd like cannot raise enough support to happen.

11 hours ago, Neil said:

i think the tories think labour will drop the triple lock.

Be good if labour did it's an unaffordable drag on public spending. And pensioners sre no longer in poverty. They've been well looked after by govt during the last thirty years.

It's quite a good divide for the Tories to campaign on if labour do say they'll drop the triple lock.

On 3/10/2024 at 1:23 PM, fraybentos1 said:

Highly doubt this is true. Tripled since 2012? No chance!

the offer I've just had says its true. 😄 

(sold in less than a week from being advertised).

47 minutes ago, Neil said:

Be good if labour did it's an unaffordable drag on public spending. And pensioners sre no longer in poverty. They've been well looked after by govt during the last thirty years.

It's quite a good divide for the Tories to campaign on if labour do say they'll drop the triple lock.

Labour won’t do that, they’re saying that they are gonna keep it. They might amend it further down the line but it is staying. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour won’t do that, they’re saying that they are gonna keep it. They might amend it further down the line but it is staying. 

its unfair (workers don't have a similar income_rise guarantee) and its unaffordable

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

its unfair (workers don't have a similar income_rise guarantee) and its unaffordable

I agree in a way but the theory is that when a worker comes to retire they can then benefit from it after paying taxes all their working life. Although I have doubts whether the state pension will exist in the current form by the time many workers retire.

20 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I agree in a way but the theory is that when a worker comes to retire they can then benefit from it after paying taxes all their working life. Although I have doubts whether the state pension will exist in the current form by the time many workers retire.

doesn't seem sustainable...maybe should switch to single lock based on inflation and/or wages....with extra help for poor pensioners if need be.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I have doubts whether the state pension will exist in the current form by the time many workers retire.

my generation have spent 50 years saying the same "won't be a state pension when i get there" its still here, and its not good to lower expectations.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

doesn't seem sustainable...maybe should switch to single lock based on inflation and/or wages....with extra help for poor pensioners if need be.

It was sustainable when introduced as nobody saw inflation going high, wages going up loads and so the max it ever would be was 2.5% and that would be covered by the annual growth they all expected.

DOH