UK Politics

kalifire

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

What don’t you buy?

I didn’t mean that doing that alone will bring about good times just it will help to generate some growth/slightly better public services. 

An initital rise in growth will come simply in having a new government that is not the Tories.

Businesses will invest more as they will have more confidence and people will consider spending more as they too will have more confidence............. but for how long? If things remain poor and people see litttle real change then this will stop.

Regardsless of who I choose to vote for I hope it does work, whatever it is Labour, the likely winners, will do................ cos if the UK carries on like it is then it will take 100 years to sort.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

because I don't want our lives to be just maths. Leave that to AI...and make sure we still have something called the arts (because actually we're quite good at it).

Sorry Steviewevie. I was referring to Rachel Reeves's comment - not yours. Sloppy editing on my part. I agree with your post.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What don’t you buy?

I didn’t mean that doing that alone will bring about good times just it will help to generate some growth/slightly better public services. 

I don't buy the whole Tories are wasteful or corrupt or whatever and Labour will fix that and that will lead to growth. I do buy that Labour fixing and spending more on public services and infrastructure and investing in green tech industries will lead to growth though...but that is not an easy fix which Reeves is obviously starting to spell out to everyone.

I'm actually more optimistic than I may be appearing. I think and hope Labour will do a good job, and will be in power for at least two terms. But maybe that's the beer talking.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't buy the whole Tories are wasteful or corrupt or whatever and Labour will fix that and that will lead to growth. I do buy that Labour fixing and spending more on public services and infrastructure and investing in green tech industries will lead to growth though...but that is not an easy fix which Reeves is obviously starting to spell out to everyone.

I'm actually more optimistic than I may be appearing. I think and hope Labour will do a good job, and will be in power for at least two terms. But maybe that's the beer talking.

You don’t believe that the Tories are wasteful or corrupt?

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You don’t believe that the Tories are wasteful or corrupt?

The whole sentence said
"I don't buy the whole Tories are wasteful or corrupt or whatever and Labour will fix that and that will lead to growth."

Take one part and it reads differently, take it all and it makes sense and does not say what you suggest.

16 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The whole sentence said
"I don't buy the whole Tories are wasteful or corrupt or whatever and Labour will fix that and that will lead to growth."

Take one part and it reads differently, take it all and it makes sense and does not say what you suggest.

Fair play, I've miss-understood what he was saying. I think his overall point isn't correct though, Labour will won't be as wasteful with money as the Tories have been and that alone will mean more money into public services. It might not generate much growth but it can help.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Fair play, I've miss-understood what he was saying. I think his overall point isn't correct though, Labour will won't be as wasteful with money as the Tories have been and that alone will mean more money into public services. It might not generate much growth but it can help.

Covering all bases then 😄

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

to get growth you need workers who pay tax.

no, you just need to use resources more efficiently a bit of reallocation of resources can do it.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

No, more about the backdrop, everyone is poor, fed up, pessimistic and don't trust politicians of all stripes. 

Poor article. The election is not Blair vs Starmer. I also remember the attacks and mistrust of Blair before the 1997 election. No one is saying there's a lot of enthusiasm for Starmer and Labour. If the polls stay at 40+ for Labour and 25 for the Tories there will be a landslide

11 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Poor article. The election is not Blair vs Starmer. I also remember the attacks and mistrust of Blair before the 1997 election. No one is saying there's a lot of enthusiasm for Starmer and Labour. If the polls stay at 40+ for Labour and 25 for the Tories there will be a landslide

Yeah landslide becoming more and more likely as the Tories eat themselves.