UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

this is all possible...or they will just wait it out in the hope that something comes up....inflation is supposed to drop below 2% and interest rates start coming down in a few months...things may actually feel a bit better in the autumn, and maybe they will have time to do one last fiscal event and more tax cuts and tell the electorate things are starting to improve, stick with them don't let labour screw it up...and you never know a flight full of asylum seekers might have left for Rwanda by then...

Or they will be 30 points behind by the end of the summer and it will start to look existential for them.

Recently a government think tank came up with stats on the State Pension and how it will rise.

They had inflation over 2.5% until 2026 - nobody really knows quite what will happen.

Bond and mortgage rates are going up which shows banks do not think much of  a cut is coming any time soon.

All that said, if Labour cannot win and win big now then they will never win.

8 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Recently a government think tank came up with stats on the State Pension and how it will rise.

They had inflation over 2.5% until 2026 - nobody really knows quite what will happen.

Bond and mortgage rates are going up which shows banks do not think much of  a cut is coming any time soon.

All that said, if Labour cannot win and win big now then they will never win.

mortgage rates aren't going up anymore are they? the opposite I thought.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

just feel like all the expectations for a May election are coming from Labour and bored journalists.

There's quite a lot in the link on the previous page

“it comes down to two questions: do you want the Conservatives or Labour to run the country, and who do you think has the best plan for the future.

“The truth of the matter is you’ve seen another tax cut in the Budget, while Labour are coming forward with more spending plans that will mean more taxes.

“We’ll also have got the Rwanda bill through, so that is where our strategic advantage lies – despite what the polls say.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/why-labour-tories-believe-general-election-may_uk_65eaff66e4b026052a535b1c

Edited by clarkete

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

mortgage rates aren't going up anymore are they? the opposite I thought.

All major lenders have been increasing them over the last 3 weeks.

It slowed this last week but still slightly up again.

https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/news/rate-increases-get-the-upper-hand-this-week-moneyfacts/

54 minutes ago, clarkete said:

There's quite a lot in the link on the previous page

“it comes down to two questions: do you want the Conservatives or Labour to run the country, and who do you think has the best plan for the future.

“The truth of the matter is you’ve seen another tax cut in the Budget, while Labour are coming forward with more spending plans that will mean more taxes.

“We’ll also have got the Rwanda bill through, so that is where our strategic advantage lies – despite what the polls say.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/why-labour-tories-believe-general-election-may_uk_65eaff66e4b026052a535b1c

If this is what the Tories genuine strategy is then they really are clueless. 

47 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/news/rate-increases-get-the-upper-hand-this-week-moneyfacts/

They're increasing their profits while they still can. Difficult to do when rates are falling.

rishi wanted to turn guns on labour with "extremism". instead its putting the focus back on the tories as they flap around for a definition which doesn't label the tories as extremist.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/09/revealed-legal-fears-over-michael-gove-definition-extremismextremist.

14 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Yeah was really chuffed to learn this as I signed up to my mortgage this week.

2 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Yeah was really chuffed to learn this as I signed up to my mortgage this week.

i signed up to pay off my mortgage this week (put house up for sale) house has tripled in value in the 12 years we've owned it. i'm gonna enjoy spending the profit (gonna probably  get an ev vehicle[toying with the idea of a campervan],  (firstly will hopefully get my licence back* - was taken away for medical reasons, i had/have a condition which is an instant licence revoke)

* will have to have an an assessment with a driving simulation at the test centre up the road.

Analysis: Labour risks looking like little more than Tories in a red rosette

By Matthew Thompson, political correspondent, Sky News

The government's plans to create, in Rishi Sunak's words from outside Downing Street, a "robust framework" for tackling extremism have had a little more flesh added to the bones this weekend.

This coming week, Michael Gove is set to publish a new definition of extremism, which looks like it will link extremism to some attempt to undermine British democracy or democratic values.

The move has prompted howls of outrage from various quarters: civil liberties groups concerned it will suppress freedom of speech, and religious groups such as the Muslim Council of Britain, who fear they will fall foul of a definition they have branded "offensive, ludicrous and dangerous".

However, one quarter from which there is barely a squeak of dissent is the Labour Party.

Some observers have noted that the Tories' extremism drive is a way to seek a dividing line with Labour. Potentially even to make relations with Labour's large Muslim vote even more fractious.

But what is clear from Labour's various pronouncements over the last week or so is that their settled position is broadly behind the extremism crackdown.

Last week, Sir Keir Starmer agreed with Mr Sunak's Downing Street speech. This morning, Rachel Reeves told Sky News that they would wait to see the detail of Mr Gove's policy, but that it was "right that we look again at the definition [of extremism]".

Yes, there may be noises off from those on the left of the Labour Party. But the risk for the government is that they seek to draw a dividing line where none exists.

For Labour, the risk is that, like in debates over last week's budget, they again open themselves to the charge of being little more than Conservatives in a red rosette.

5 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Since when have simple facts ever bothered the Daily Hate?

there's gonna be an election soon, or he could stand in a by election (there's a lot of them about).  and then it all slots into place. if everyone wants to make it happen it'll happen quickly and easily.

i'd say its the tory party's best chance at the moment.

33 minutes ago, Neil said:

i signed up to pay off my mortgage this week (put house up for sale) house has tripled in value in the 12 years we've owned it. i'm gonna enjoy spending the profit (gonna probably  get an ev vehicle[toying with the idea of a campervan],  (firstly will hopefully get my licence back* - was taken away for medical reasons, i had/have a condition which is an instant licence revoke)

* will have to have an an assessment with a driving simulation at the test centre up the road.

Highly doubt this is true. Tripled since 2012? No chance!

51 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

pretty sure it's true ( a rough tripled, not exact: bought for £125k going on market at £365k) I might have messed up cos I have trouble with numbers ever since I suffered a brain injury 

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Bristol is often named as the UK properly hot spot, and my area as the most popular was also named by time out as best place in the world to live.nignturn around local street was named the most dangerous in the country twenty years ago 

Edited by Neil

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

It's what gentrification can do for an area. It's what happens on the best place to live in the UK.