UK Politics

kalifire

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I’m not sure about that, it was probably always available from the HoC Library or somewhere but the internet has definitely made them more readily available. 

Always was available I can remember my local paper in the 70s running stories about the low voting record if the local MP ( Julian critchley, a lazy Tory)

13 hours ago, steviewevie said:

because as well as voting for an individual human, you are voting for a party. And I expect more people are voting for party rather than their MP...a lot of people probably don't know or care who their MP is.

Which rather backs up why do we need 650 - if people vote party and do not know who their MP is then constituancy MP's are irrelevant to most I would have thought.

Rather than forever spending more and more on MP's (£31 million more now on security) it really is about time it was pruned back to revive healthy growth in the hope of a burst of flowers in the future.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Which rather backs up why do we need 650 - if people vote party and do not know who their MP is then constituancy MP's are irrelevant to most I would have thought.

Rather than forever spending more and more on MP's (£31 million more now on security) it really is about time it was pruned back to revive healthy growth in the hope of a burst of flowers in the future.

because despite all that the MPs are supposed to represent their constituencies. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Certain papers, well the Mail mostly, really going to town on Rayner and the council house thing.,,,and am struggling to see what the issue is...I guess that she's a hypocrite for buying a council house and then selling at a profit.

Cos she did what she wants to change the law meaning others cannot do.

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

struggling to see what the issue is..

From what I've read. The issue is she may of declared it as her primary residence to evade capital gains tax when she was living somewhere else.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Whatdyaknow?  Hate mongering when you have a national platform to monger your hate might just have an effect!

3 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Cos she did what she wants to change the law meaning others cannot do.

if yoiu want a cheap house can i suggest Plymouth or hull. affordable to all millenials there.

in the 1970s everyone could by a house in their preferred location, they didn't have to start off in the sh*t towns.

4 hours ago, Neil said:

if yoiu want a cheap house can i suggest Plymouth or hull. affordable to all millenials there.

in the 1970s everyone could by a house in their preferred location, they didn't have to start off in the sh*t towns.

no, Neil not everyone could buy a house in their preferred location - my mates who bought houses in the 70's didn't buy them in their preferred locations - they bough them in the best locations they could afford.  And whilst buying a house was certainly much easier then - plenty of folk still could not afford it.

34 minutes ago, LJS said:

they bough them in the best locations they could afford. 

that was my point, an idea that's gone out of fashion! replaced by me-me-me should be able buy where i want to live.

Edited by Neil

40 minutes ago, LJS said:

no, Neil not everyone could buy a house in their preferred location - my mates who bought houses in the 70's didn't buy them in their preferred locations - they bough them in the best locations they could afford.  And whilst buying a house was certainly much easier then - plenty of folk still could not afford it.

Correct - my parents wanted to live in a certain area but could not afford to so made the best they could out of what they had.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

that was my point, an idea that's gone out of fashion! replaced by me-me-me should be able buy where i want to live.

so once upon a time people couldn't buy a house where they wanted and now they can't buy a house anywhere....except Plymouth, Hull or Weston Super Mare....which is where all the first time buyers will be moving to.

One rule for them, another for us.
One line for them, another for us.

Teachers abused and threatened told to toughen up.
Mp's abused and threatened give themselves 31million for protection

"MPs and some civil servants are having their calls to HM Revenue and Customs answered around 20 minutes faster than the general public, new figures show.

The average waiting time for people who call HMRC is 22 minutes and 47 seconds.

In contrast, callers to the VIP helpline, also known as Public Department 1 (PD1), are able to get through in two minutes and 27 seconds on average, according to the latest publicly available figures.

The figures were taken over the same period from July to December last year."

I suppose we must all just accept we are 2nd class riff raff and crack on til we die at work.

14 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

"MPs and some civil servants are having their calls to HM Revenue and Customs answered around 20 minutes faster than the general public, new figures show.

In contrast, callers to the VIP helpline, also known as Public Department 1 (PD1), are able to get through in two minutes and 27 seconds on average, according to the latest publicly available figures.

I suppose we must all just accept we are 2nd class riff raff and crack on til we die at work.

🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they'll have to reverse these pre election tax cuts...whoever gets in power will have to.

Yeah, I think anyone with a functioning brain will see pre election tax cuts for what they are… a desperate attempt to cling on to power. 

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Some of us dont need to put ourselves down.

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

they'll have to reverse these pre election tax cuts...whoever gets in power will have to.

The Tory plan is to scream that labour will steal the tax cut.