UK Politics

kalifire

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

This includes assets.

My point is that a whole massive chunk of OAPs are well off and young people work to give them a state pension they don't need (which gets triple locked for political reasons even tho its unsustainable) which will then probs be gone by the time they are old.

If those assets are sold up it'll suck money out of economy to buy them.

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

This includes assets.

My point is that a whole massive chunk of OAPs are well off and young people work to give them a state pension they don't need (which gets triple locked for political reasons even tho its unsustainable) which will then probs be gone by the time they are old.

See well off is relative. As I said above could have people in expensive houses not due to anything they have done

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

This includes assets.

When you retire you will be glad the state pension has kept its value. I agree the triple lock is unsustainable as it results in long term rises above inflation and earnings. But it won't be abolished and should at least rise with inflation. 

15 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Think fray is looking at total assets so houses I assume and from the link. Plenty of expensive houses, but often cash poor inside

If the oldies have their houses forced sold,the money won't be there to pay for that oldies care, and the government will have to pay instead.

40 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

See well off is relative. As I said above could have people in expensive houses not due to anything they have done

Maybe they’ve not done anything but they still hold an asset of that value  and this is before we even get into gold plated pensions they have. 

31 minutes ago, lazyred said:

When you retire you will be glad the state pension has kept its value. I agree the triple lock is unsustainable as it results in long term rises above inflation and earnings. But it won't be abolished and should at least rise with inflation. 

not if it doesn’t exist I won’t. It’s on track to be over 70 soon, by the time I get there itll probs be 80 odd 

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Maybe they’ve not done anything but they still hold an asset of that value  and this is before we even get into gold plated pensions they have. 

I know you said about government policy but still sounds like you are shaking your fust at the old. They lived in a time of final salary, which still exist. I'm not sure what you wanted people to do. I am sure the young will blame you in the future, I guess it's always the way. But if good pensions were the norm would you have done anything different?

Might be reading you wrong of course

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

What's the state pension at moment, like 9k? You're better off pretending you have depression.

Max new pension is 11500 from april. Old basic pension is 8800 plus any secondary pension

23 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I know you said about government policy but still sounds like you are shaking your fust at the old. They lived in a time of final salary, which still exist. I'm not sure what you wanted people to do. I am sure the young will blame you in the future, I guess it's always the way. But if good pensions were the norm would you have done anything different?

They do still exist but way more rare. Nah I’m not saying that they should have done anything different of course I’m just saying those 2 areas oldies have done well (houses and pensions). On the other hand, as a millennial I think there’s lots of things my generation have better than oldies.

25 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They do still exist but way more rare. Nah I’m not saying that they should have done anything different of course I’m just saying those 2 areas oldies have done well (houses and pensions). On the other hand, as a millennial I think there’s lots of things my generation have better than oldies.

Youth 😃

31 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Give us that list then please, cos I can't!

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

Lots of peeps didn't have final salarypensions  and lots got to die before drawing anything of the pension they paid into.

16 minutes ago, Neil said:

Give us that list then please, cos I can't!

The list of things that Millenials have better than oldies?

being able to travel anywhere in the world at a moments notice relatively cheap, growing up in a more tolerant society towards minorities, advancements in things like healthcare and tech 

Off the top of my head 

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The list of things that Millenials have better than oldies?

being able to travel anywhere in the world at a moments notice relatively cheap, growing up in a more tolerant society towards minorities, advancements in things like healthcare and tech 

Off the top of my head 

all those are things achieved by the oldies, not your generation - your generation is getting the benefits from those oldies.

Edited by Neil

4 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Aye all true, not what we were talking about really though. 

frey is talking about reaping rewards created by others  which is what happens when a pension goes unclaimed by the contributor.

3 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

This includes assets.

I worked to give people like my Mum who struggled financially all her life, a decent standard of living when she eventually retired. The triple lock guaranteed her pension would keep up with the cost of living. Thanks to her efforts, I won't be needing my pension when I retire so will either refuse it (assuming that's an option), or give it away to people who do. However, there will still be folks (including some on here) who will have to rely on their pension and will be grateful for the triple lock. 

3 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Think fray is looking at total assets so houses I assume and from the link. Plenty of expensive houses, but often cash poor inside

How many people in the UK have over 1 million pounds?

Around 3.5 million households have total net household wealth of over £1m, including property, pensions, physical assets, and financial assets.20 Sept 2023
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2024 at 6:00 PM, Nobody Interesting said:

Currently the only parties not calling for PR are Labour, Tory and SNP

Cos the system we have works for them.

It fails all the rest

Sorry, a bit late with this...

"We continue to work for democratic reform too. We believe that the House of Lords is an affront to democracy and should be abolished. We will continue to call for the first past the post voting system to be replaced at Westminster with proportional representation, so that every vote and every part of the country counts. We have already extended the franchise in Scottish and local elections to 16 and 17 year olds and will use new powers to protect the voting rights of EU citizens too."

https://www.snp.org/our-vision/constitution/

2 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Not sure anyone is blaming old geezers, but why should they be the only ones with a triple lock? 

I am now of pension age (although still working) and am financially better off than I have ever been. 

Having some of that money when we were struggling to bring up 3 kids would have been great.

1 minute ago, LJS said:

Not sure anyone is blaming old geezers, but why should they be the only ones with a triple lock? 

I am now of pension age (although still working) and am financially better off than I have ever been. 

Having some of that money when we were struggling to bring up 3 kids would have been great.

You could have had it but not tax free,your pension contributions were your choice.

Maybe the tax breaks and free money was too tempting.

( Would you trust the sg to keep paying your pension if sindy?)

1 hour ago, LJS said:

I'd guess cos its the only social payment the govt is 100%obliged to pay all others could be cancelled entirely, because they're a one-sided  contract, where a person can collect without having paid in, also due to age oldies are automatically vulnerable people so by default they're worthy of protection.

2 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

OAPs are well off and young people work to give them a state pension they don't need

that's one hell of a statement, with unfounded assumptions, whether they need or not is dependant on a whole range of factors including living costs,.