2024 Ticket Buying Tips

parsonjack

1 minute ago, hodgey123 said:

What was this? The original tweet has been deleted. 

Showed a chap just browsing back to the main landing page and getting straight back in to buy more tickets after a previous successful transaction. 

This can be prevented to even the odds I think. 

4 minutes ago, bob323 said:

I'm guessing it's either by targeting all seetickets ip addresses and see what happens? or inside information

But how would they know the exact IP address of the server before the sale? 

Would have to be someone on the inside who knows the public ip addresses surely

46 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Yep, seeing a lot on Reddit who said they could point their address straight to the Seetickets buying page (not sure how true this is, it's beyond my tech illiterate skills) but definitely seems dodgy this year.

Nothing new unfortunately, and the festival don't care how/who is buying tickets as long as it sells out, so it won't change.

They seemed to care when they messed up people’s reg details (a delay which made it harder to get tickets today)

6 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

do we know that they knew BEFORE the sale went ahead?? they could have potentailly scanned all the 65k ip addresses and see which ones are active whilst the tickets were on sale. Then target all the active addresses at the same time

Edited by bob323

7 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

I imagine it's something you can do once the sale starts and either you get lucky to the booking page, or you get the IP address from someone else who has managed to get to the booking page.

10 minutes ago, RyanSmith9311 said:

They seemed to care when they messed up people’s reg details (a delay which made it harder to get tickets today)

How did it make it more difficult today?

Can you confirm how many new people registered in those two weeks who weren't already registered?

What it definitely did do, was stop those who had their reg deleted from being unfairly excluded due to an IT error beyond their control

5 minutes ago, mobfant said:

I imagine it's something you can do once the sale starts and either you get lucky to the booking page, or you get the IP address from someone else who has managed to get to the booking page.

could work, on someone who has just booked (on a windows PC)

cmd box, run netstat -a

35 minutes ago, Jack Nottm said:

I think the one a few years ago was slightly different. If I recall correctly there were two severs (IPs?) and all traffic was being directed to one of them. Someone figured out if you hit the second one you got straight in because it was under-utilised. I think they fixed it about 2/3s the way through that sale.

Todays seems different. It’s as if there is something throttling getting onto a booking server. But if you can direct straight to it you get straight in.

Someone with better tech knowledge can probably explain both a lot better.

That was in 2013. Our first Glastonbury experience. I indeed managed to get tickets by redirecting the IP address to server B. Very tricky, since scammers could potentially also set up a fake website where you would be redirected to... Never did it again...

But... No tickets this year...

1 minute ago, Mr. B said:

Anecdotally know of a number of people who got through 3+ times, wheras 24 people trying on coach / general didn't get through at all. Stastically feels improbable 

I assume there must be something in place to keep from someone losing their place and getting kicked back to the queue when entering details and maybe the downside to that is it inadvertently let's those people back in again once they've completed.

It is obviously anecdotal, but I got through three times in a row for the campervan passes this year, and in previous festivals we always get our group sorted as one person gets through multiple times rather than different people getting through 

4 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I assume there must be something in place to keep from someone losing their place and getting kicked back to the queue when entering details and maybe the downside to that is it inadvertently let's those people back in again once they've completed.

It is obviously anecdotal, but I got through three times in a row for the campervan passes this year, and in previous festivals we always get our group sorted as one person gets through multiple times rather than different people getting through 

https://www.cookieyes.com/blog/session-cookies/

12 minutes ago, bob323 said:

that did not work for me!!!

They're not showing the stuff they did prior to that, to force that behaviour.

ie the IP stuff posted above. Which is something that is *very* traceable if See chose to do so.

In short - See have a primary set of servers. These were the ones processing the sale today.

See also have a second set of servers as a backup, that today they were using to process "regular" seetickets.com / gigsandtours.com transactions while the Glastonbury sale was taking place so that those sites could continue unaffected.

What the IP stuff posted above does is to divert Glastonbury traffic into the secondary (and not busy) set of servers..

That's something that would be incredibly easy to trace if they decide it's worth it. And if they chose to cancel those transactions, the people involved wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I don't think they will do so, but it's not a risk I'd be prepared to take.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

How did it make it more difficult today?

Can you confirm how many new people registered in those two weeks who weren't already registered?

What it definitely did do, was stop those who had their reg deleted from being unfairly excluded due to an IT error beyond their control

I’m sure all the extra social media posts/mainstream media reports led to no extra registrations in those 2 weeks👍.

Not the individuals’ fault, of course, it’s the organisation of it. Just get it right

25 minutes ago, incident said:

I don't think they will do so, but it's not a risk I'd be prepared to take.

They didn't bother in 2013 which seems to be the last time this exploit was available so I can't see why they would do it now

Seems fairly risk free to me considering the level of effort Seetickets usually put into the sale

1 minute ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

They didn't bother in 2013 which seems to be the last time this exploit was available so I can't see why they would do it now

Seems fairly risk free to me considering the level of effort Seetickets usually put into the sale

I don't agree this is the same as 2013. The implementation and effect might be broadly the same, but the crucial difference is that this is bringing servers into play that were never intended to be used to sell Glastonbury tickets whereas the time you're referencing was more about working around broken load balancing.

So while I do agree that they probably won't do anything - I wouldn't entirely rule it out, and if they don't address it for next time then it'll cause them huge problems going forward.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Nottm said:

You would hope in terms of fairness they figure out a way to close this. If they don’t it’ll be open to abuse come resale. And I can’t see cancelling orders being good PR for them even if it is people cheating the system as such.

Wont close unless a new ticketing company is used. Lets see everyone try ticketmaster and literally have the queue pop up and tell you your position. And maybe lower the ticket limit. Even if its 4 tickets instead of 6 that would make tickets last a little bit longer.