BBC radio 1 big weekend 2024

jj200

Looking very much like Radio 1 have struggled with their line-up too, which follows the industry trend this year. 

I think RAYE will be a good headliner, but for any artist jumping from sub headliner on the second stage in 2023 to the main stage headliner, on the same album cycle is a very interesting (if not odd) choice. 

The real disappointment seems to be the undercard, with the exception of The Last Dinner Party, there isn’t a lot going on away from the Main Stage in terms of a decent pull.

If I get tickets I’ll check them out of course. I do enjoy seeing more variety. I think this is an example and goes to show we’re all in need of fresh meat coming in that can pull in the crowds, which since COVID there seems to be a real lack of, in my humble opinion.

Edited by MatthewTurner

9 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Are we not still due an opening headliner?

I’m not too sure, it does not say anyone else is TBC. So suggests not. 

I have noticed we are losing 30-60 minutes this year as what is likely part of the licensing condition. Acts are starting at 13:00 rather than 12:00/12:30.

3 minutes ago, MatthewTurner said:

I’m not too sure, it does not say anyone else is TBC. So suggests not. 

I have noticed we are losing 30-60 minutes this year as what is likely part of the licensing condition. Acts are starting at 13:00 rather than 12:00/12:30.

Just feels strange that the Ftiday mainstage has 2 acts (C&S and Becky Hill) billed as headliners if the rest of the festival doesnt follow suit

3 hours ago, nathanh said:

Having seen people successfully get then and enter the festival with tickets using postcodes of local McDonalds i think you should be fine. I know that doesnt answer your question and that theres still a small chance they get cancelled but just thought I'd share the only bit of intel I have.

Well I guess that's one way to get in.

It's crazy comparing this Saturday to 2019's:

Mumford & Sons, Anne-Marie, Sigala, Billie Eilish, James Arthur, Jess Glynne, Foals, Miley Cyrus.

You even had massive names on the second stage: Stormzy, Sam Fender, The Amazons, Lewis Capaldi, Charli XCX, Khalid, Vampire Weekend, Future, Bring Me The Horizon.

Obviously Sam Fender wasn't quite as big at the time, but there were about 8 or so arena acts there compared to just RAYE now. 

Edited by WhoOdyssey

16 minutes ago, WhoOdyssey said:

It's crazy comparing this Saturday to 2019's:

Mumford & Sons, Anne-Marie, Sigala, Billie Eilish, James Arthur, Jess Glynne, Foals, Miley Cyrus.

You even had massive names on the second stage: Stormzy, Sam Fender, The Amazons, Lewis Capaldi, Charli XCX, Khalid, Vampire Weekend, Future, Bring Me The Horizon.

Obviously Sam Fender wasn't quite as big at the time, but you have about 8 or so arena acts there compared to just RAYE now. 

Music is always a fluid thing but yeah. Tbh it even feels like a slower model on last year, let alone then when it clearly had a decent budget to play with.

1 hour ago, crumbler said:

What the hell is going on with festivals this year? Dire stuff.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Glastonbury, download, and BST all have pants lineups of what would normally be at least a contemplation of a ticket, and Big weekend normally gets one cross over of a headliner of one of these festivals.

Glastonbury probs the exception as they normally pad the lineup out on a lot more stages and the festival as a whole is fantastic. But considering the acts that are playing the UK this year, the killers, foos, pearl jam, AC/DC, Girls aloud, Springsteen, Olivia Rodrigo, Tay Sway, and even Nickelback. There’s probs a load more playing Europe but not the UK. Find it outstanding that no UK festivals have been able to get ANY of them 

I think the avoidance of festivals for the big names is on a global scale, with the exception of a couple of mainland European ones, which tend to pull decent names due to being an artists only date in that country. 

Even the likes of Coachella haven’t got that wow factor this year. 

Artists of headliner size are charging phenomenal prices for stadium shows. Due to a multitude of factors such as transport costs, and everything that goes with a live performance.

Not to mention putting on a visually appealing show to attract younger attendees from viral TikToks as seen with Coldplay and Taylor Swift in the last few years. 

I think the higher running costs for Festivals up against artists making more from larger shows with a significant mark-up is really making it hard for anyone to sign on the dotted line and it is almost seen as a back-up for a few touring acts who are being noncommittal until the last second.

Edited by MatthewTurner

1 hour ago, nathanh said:

As much as I love Raye and I think her headline slot will be so good makes me wonder what names could be pulled out the hat to headline tomorrow

sunday should be a bit stronger hopefully as its a harder day to sell

33 minutes ago, MatthewTurner said:

I think the avoidance of festivals for the big names is on a global scale, with the exception of a couple of mainland European ones, which tend to pull decent names due to being an artists only date in that country. 

Even the likes of Coachella haven’t got that wow factor this year. 

Artists of headliner size are charging phenomenal prices for stadium shows. Due to a multitude of factors such as transport costs, and everything that goes with a live performance.

Not to mention putting on a visually appealing show to attract younger attendees from viral TikToks as seen with Coldplay and Taylor Swift in the last few years. 

I think the higher running costs for Festivals up against artists making more from larger shows with a significant mark-up is really making it hard for anyone to sign on the dotted line and it is almost seen as a back-up for a few touring acts who are being noncommittal until the last second.

You’re right about a significant mark up for their own shows. There’s been at least a dozen times this year where I’ve gone to buy a ticket for a band and have been priced out. Some shows are extortionately expensive, but I’m finding a lot of these shows don’t even sell out. It’s like they would rather rip off half the crowd but not sell out. Very odd.

What used to be £30-40 for an arena show 3 or 4 years ago, maybe £80 for a big act is well over £100, which should in theory swing the pendulum back in the festivals favour in terms of value for money but the quality of these lineups is dire.

when the stones last played stadiums they were charging £110 for old Trafford, and I thought that was pricey but worth it as the stones are notoriously expensive. Now that’s the norm, some acts crossing £180 for a non-gold circle ticket. It’s mad

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NickisGinger said:

Still convinced it’s Taylor Swift tomorrow.. such a shame it’s a tripe considering it’s been super sized 

Is that based on anything? She hasnt done any festivals since starting the eras tour and she would have a show in Portugal 2 nights previous

21 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Is that based on anything? She hasnt done any festivals since starting the eras tour and she would have a show in Portugal 2 nights previous

No - wishful thinking. Portugal isn’t bad not far, she performs 3 nights mostly anyway. Private jet into Luton bam she’s sorted. 

Edited by NickisGinger

I think Taylor is not happening purely because it would crash Ticketmasters servers 

I’d have thought it would be something fairly mid sized at this point. Gerry cinnamon, catfish, 1975, nothing but thieves, pendulum or Biffy. 

we can hope for the killers, Coldplay or foo fighters but seems unlikely