Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

36 minutes ago, dude111 said:

i agree with that.

last year everyone talked sh*t about ID when they were annouced but they sold more tickets then billie.

wait, are we really comparing Fred Again to Imagine Dragons? 😄 in terms of act popularity? 😄 

The only artist this year that could even be in the category with ID and Billie, but nowhere close to their popularity, is Sam Smith. The rest are, to be frank, simply below that level.

13 hours ago, Matt86 said:

I'm not unhappy with the 5 last names we got, because I have already accept the fact that Sziget made the choice to spend LESS on the line up budget. That's a FACT, we must deal with it.

The last big shot was Foo Fighters in 2019 (trust me, they are expensive.. way more than Imagine Dragons or Billie).

So considering that, we should now take a look at the undercard way more than we used to ; the first wave was very poor, everyone agree on that. I think even Sziget themselves, they're not stupid. Why do you think they don't communicate about this edition being the 30th... they're kind of ashamed..

So the 6 first names we got from the second wave (Skrillex, L.Gallagher, Tom Odell, Raye, Editors and Mo) aren't that bad (except Liam as a headliner, this is too much). I'm just saying, let's be patient , maybe they'll be clever and get the best undercards names they can get.

I really liked the first wave. I can understand the line-up feels cheap in terms of big names, but if we talk about music, I really like the vibe. I don't go to Sziget for the big names, I can understand most people do. Let's wait to see next one

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Gabi Ruiz said:

I really liked the first wave. I can understand the line-up feels cheap in terms of big names, but if we talk about music, I really like the vibe. I don't go to Sziget for the big names, I can understand most people do. Let's wait to see next one

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have found the first person on planet earth who liked the first announcement. What award does he win?

Joking! There were a few acts I liked, just not enough and, most importantly for a first announcement, there were many, many acts I hadn't heard of.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Anyone got any more ideas or hints about the female headliner then?

I don’t think there are ANY viable options around in August apart from Lana who’s out. Dua, Doja, SZA, Nicki etc are all in Europe in June-July. So maybe one of them, or somebody who hasn’t announced their tour dates yet. 

Charli XCX drops an album soon (but I’d find it embarrassing if they add her as a headliner next to Liam and Stormzy:)) ) and Ariana Grande just did

3 hours ago, Dukkai said:

wait, are we really comparing Fred Again to Imagine Dragons? 😄 in terms of act popularity? 😄 

The only artist this year that could even be in the category with ID and Billie, but nowhere close to their popularity, is Sam Smith. The rest are, to be frank, simply below that level.

Fred again is without a doubt one of the most popular dance music artists in the world right now, he is like dance musics best kept secret

He is currently on a last minute tour in Australia and played a lat minute gig at the Sydney opera house and they sold out in minutes with 125k people in the que, he then sold out Rod Laver arena (15k capacity) for 3 nights in a row in minutes, then flew to the gold coast for a "pop up dj set" and they sold 35k tickets in an hour 

If you are not into dance music you may not of even heard of him, but I can guarantee you 100% this guy will draw the biggest crowd for any act at this festival and I would bet money he will produce the best set of the week 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lambert said:

Fred again is without a doubt one of the most popular dance music artists in the world right now, he is like dance musics best kept secret

He is currently on a last minute tour in Australia and played a lat minute gig at the Sydney opera house and they sold out in minutes with 125k people in the que, he then sold out Rod Laver arena (15k capacity) for 3 nights in a row in minutes, then flew to the gold coast for a "pop up dj set" and they sold 35k tickets in an hour 

If you are not into dance music you may not of even heard of him, but I can guarantee you 100% this guy will draw the biggest crowd for any act at this festival and I would bet money he will produce the best set of the week 

Agree, I know people who have bought one day tickets for Leeds Festival at £130 each just to see him. 

29 minutes ago, Lambert said:

I have seen him at Primavera Sound 2023, a big big party! Barry Can't Swim is moving in the same direction. And Romy would fit in as well... So let's see what the second wave brings... 

44 minutes ago, Lambert said:

Well, I believe you on the secret part 🙂 j/k

I mean, without sounding condescending, with this current lineup of Sziget, I don't think that drawing the biggest crowd will actually be an archivement since:

a) acts seem to lean heavily on EDM side which means that most of the crowd there on the festival will be into EDM

b) there aren't any actually big acts that it can be "competing" with. Maybe Sam Smith, but I doubt it

I mean, I understand that he is big in that genre, but so are bands like, idk, Iced Earth or Sabaton from other genres. I guess my point is that someone being big in a certain genre does not make him big in general automatically? I hope that makes sense..

Also, one needs to take into account that EDM is like country music, you either like or don't. It is not like people who are really into rock/metal are also really into EDM.

Which then ties into what you said about best set of the week, as that is subjective 🙂

I mean, I get that from perspective of current artists Fred and, for example, Raye are stars and would otherwise be considered great picks, but with the current lineup it just looks like we are getting budget version of the festival. Maybe if  we didnt have Stormzy as headliner and Fred was there instead of Martin it wouldn't feel like they filled the slots with budget acts and picking Fred would be praised as getting a new and shiny act to perform among other great acts.

Bottom line, maybe it is not a Fred thing at all, it is just a festival lineup thing being poor so it stands out more.

Edited by Dukkai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dukkai said:

I mean, without sounding condescending, with this current lineup of Sziget, I don't think that drawing the biggest crowd will actually be an archivement since:

a) acts seem to lean heavily on EDM side which means that most of the crowd there on the festival will be into EDM

b) there aren't any actually big acts that it can be "competing" with. Maybe Sam Smith, but I doubt it

I mean, I understand that he is big in that genre, but so are bands like, idk, Iced Earth or Sabaton from other genres. I guess my point is that someone being big in a certain genre does not make him big in general automatically? I hope that makes sense..

Also, one needs to take into account that EDM is like country music, you either like or don't. It is not like people who are really into rock/metal are also really into EDM.

Which then ties into what you said about best set of the week, as that is subjective 🙂

I mean, I get that from perspective of current artists Fred and, for example, Raye are stars and would otherwise be considered great picks, but with the current lineup it just looks like we are getting budget version of the festival. Maybe if  we didnt have Stormzy as headliner and Fred was there instead of Martin it wouldn't feel like they filled the slots with budget acts and picking Fred would be praised as getting a new and shiny act to perform among other great acts.

Bottom line, maybe it is not a Fred thing at all, it is just a festival lineup thing being poor so it stands out more.

Am I completely misunderstanding what constitutes as EDM nowadays?

I don't get a feeling that there's an overly large amount of EDM acts announced.

Sam Smith is hardly EDM, nor is Stormzy. Or Louis Tomlinson, Big Thief, Fontaines DC, Aurora, Crystal Fighters, Meute, Zoe Wees, Yard Act, Nova Twins, Pip Blom, Wednesday, Blondshell. Not to mention Liam, Editors, Tom Odell or Raye.....

• Upvote 1

Bit of a long shot, but has anyone thought Stevie Nicks? She's probably far too expensive, but she is doing a tour + BST Hyde Park this year... 🥲 Think I'm being overly hopeful here, but maybe manifestation might work?

24 minutes ago, billybigballs said:

Am I completely misunderstanding what constitutes as EDM nowadays?

I don't get a feeling that there's an overly large amount of EDM acts announced.

Sam Smith is hardly EDM, nor is Stormzy. Or Louis Tomlinson, Big Thief, Fontaines DC, Aurora, Crystal Fighters, Meute, Zoe Wees, Yard Act, Nova Twins, Pip Blom, Wednesday, Blondshell. Not to mention Liam, Editors, Tom Odell or Raye.....

Depends on how you look at it

I mean, we have Fred and Martin as headliner, Skrillex as well. If not as head, then as a sub. Not sure where MO fits or Four tet. But, out of 12 head and sub acts, 3 are certainly EDM. Plus EDM gets a whole stage.

If we put aside pop artists, such as Sam Smith, Raye, etc., as they have too broad range to fall under one genre, which genre is more represented among head and sub acts then EDM?

Re EDM, just to clear it up...

There are 16 electronic acts (mostly DJs) on the lineup:
Fred Again.., Martin Garrix, Four Tet, ARTBAT, Richie Hawtin, ANOTR, Honey Dijon, Don Dolla, Overmono, Nia Archives, Argy, Eris Drew & Octo Octa, Ellen Allien, Fideles, Chloé Caillet and AMÉMÉ.

And then there are 21 acts of other genres:
Sam Smith, Stormzy, Louis Tomlinson, Big Thief, Fontaines D.C., Aurora, Azahriah, L’Impératrice, Crystal Fighters, grandson, Zoe Wees, Joker Out, Goldband, Joesef, Yard Act, Warhaus, Nova Twins, Blondshell, Wednesday, DAGNY and Pip Blom.

And 4 acts that mix electronic music with other genres:
Becky Hill, MEUTE, LIBERATO and Joost.

There was definitely a large number of electronic acts in the first announcement but I don't think it's such a surprise when you have 2 dedicated EDM stages and your second biggest stage host DJs in the night as well. I feel like the lack of 'bands' in the top positions is more alarming but I guess it's not such a big deal considering most of the solo artists will perform with a band as well...

Edited by Newjem
  • Thanks 1

What I think is that the line-up choices this year seems to be geared towards certain countries instead of acts that are for everyone. 

For example in the Netherlands you never hear any Stormzy or Liam Gallagher and Fred again is only just getting more known here and only Fred would be maybe a headliner here (this year on lowlands, but last year he would not be a headliner). Sam Smith is well known here and on the radio quite a bit and is playing Pinkpop this year but not as the headliner.

So as a Dutch guy this does not really meet my expectations as headliners, but I guess they all are massive in England.

However you also have Martin Garrix as a headliner, over who I saw a lot of disappointed comments about, but is absolutely massive in the Netherlands.

And also Goldband and Joost, they both played a lot of mainstages in the Netherlands and Goldband is even a headliner at lowlands this year. So while these names seem unsignificant to others like for example Liam Gallagher or Stormzy seem to us, Goldband and Joost are headliner and strong undercard material.

A lot of other acts seem to be the same (a lot of streams, but they are not really known here) like Big thief, Raye and L'imperatrice.

Just a thought I wanted to share and hope we get some great new names soon.

20 minutes ago, Joka_sc said:

What I think is that the line-up choices this year seems to be geared towards certain countries instead of acts that are for everyone. 

For example in the Netherlands you never hear any Stormzy or Liam Gallagher and Fred again is only just getting more known here and only Fred would be maybe a headliner here (this year on lowlands, but last year he would not be a headliner). Sam Smith is well known here and on the radio quite a bit and is playing Pinkpop this year but not as the headliner.

So as a Dutch guy this does not really meet my expectations as headliners, but I guess they all are massive in England.

However you also have Martin Garrix as a headliner, over who I saw a lot of disappointed comments about, but is absolutely massive in the Netherlands.

And also Goldband and Joost, they both played a lot of mainstages in the Netherlands and Goldband is even a headliner at lowlands this year. So while these names seem unsignificant to others like for example Liam Gallagher or Stormzy seem to us, Goldband and Joost are headliner and strong undercard material.

A lot of other acts seem to be the same (a lot of streams, but they are not really known here) like Big thief, Raye and L'imperatrice.

Your comments make a lot of sense. They also have Azahriah who appears to be absolutely massive in Hungary (but only has 600,000 monthly listeners on Spotify, compared to Raye who has almost 33 million).

I doubt very much that the festival will struggle to sell tickets. It might be slightly quieter on certain days but that's always been the case.

13 hours ago, Joka_sc said:

And that's a great way by the way to keep your audience from certain countries, but also save money. In theory at least.

Instead of booking huge acts that everyone knows (Billie Eilish, Justin Bieber, etc.), book acts for a lot less money that people from a certain country love. So if you've got a local superstar from The Netherlands, England, Hungary, 1-2-3 other countries, in the end of the day everyone should be happy. 

By the way, I've never heard of Fred Again before the announcement. Then I went to my local barber shop, and everyone's like "did you hear Fred Again is coming to Sziget??". Went to the pub, a mate - the bartender - also was like "man, I've been listening to Fred Again on repeat in the past few months, can't wait for his Sziget gig". And I'm like, wow, seem slike i'm really living in a comfy rock/alternative/indie bubble, and have no idea on what's trending in electronic music.
But these are the relatively brave bookings that can end up really well. I remember when they rejected Billie Eilish just before she blew up, I'm sure they don't want to make the same mistake again.

17 hours ago, Dukkai said:

Fred is not and EDM Act. He is something else, you could hate EDM and still love his performance. He is not only big in the electronic music scene, he is big in general right now. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Tails94 said:

IMG_3186.thumb.png.155be332b82d3d39bcd7c7b701169e71.pngNot sure if this is much, but this is Australia’s biggest festival and happening 19-21 July so might be able to scratch out a couple names to see where they will be at that time 

Does Kylie have a following in Europe? National treasure in UK but what size venues does she play in mainland Europe?

Edited by billybigballs

1 hour ago, Tails94 said:

Not sure if this is much, but this is Australia’s biggest festival and happening 19-21 July so might be able to scratch out a couple names to see where they will be at that time 

I was just watching a video of Violent Soho performing in this festival and I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong place. This kind of music seems to be so popular there, I'm jealous.

25 minutes ago, kristofm said:

I was just watching a video of Violent Soho performing in this festival and I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong place. This kind of music seems to be so popular there, I'm jealous.

If you like them check Dune Rats, Skegss, The Smith Street Band, Tired Lion and DZ Deathrays as well