Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

18 minutes ago, So Sad Simon said:

Liam sells out UK arenas (12,000+ capacity) instantly. I suspect Mumford and Sons will never play venues of that size again in the UK (London, possibly, excepted). To be blunt, they have become the punchline to a bad joke. 

I genuinely like M&S and watched them at Sziget last year. Having seen the turnout for them, I doubt they will be invited back to perform as Sziget headliners again. 

Yeah, Liam will defo sell better in the UK and Ireland but Mumford will sell better anywhere else.

• Upvote 1

So.. MØ (whoever that is), Editors and Liam Gallagher.. with Liam being a headliner

Damn, I can see ticket sales staying around 0

I somehow doubt people are gonna be getting daily passes for those acts

Wow, what a sh*tty lineup this year

It seems like they really went with low budget options

49 minutes ago, Newjem said:

and Mumford are not huge? I know they haven't done much post-Covid in terms of releasing new music but still, their last album was number one in the US and Canada and was top 3 in most of Western Europe. Last year, they managed to headline Rock Wercter, Mad Cool and Austin City Limits.

I was just reflecting the fact that someone said Mumford are old and irrelavant because it's not 2010 anymore. The same applies to Liam. His solo stuff is not as popular as anything Oasis released. People go to his shows mainly for Wonderwall, Rock'n'roll Star or Champagne Supernova and now he's doing 'Definitely Maybe' in full...

Fair points. I'll still enjoy Liam 100x more than Mumford and Sons.

50 minutes ago, Leon k said:

I'm sorry but this is so embarrassing for one of the biggest festivals in world. Do you think there will be anymore big artists 

Stupid comment. Maybe wait for the full announcement before passing judgement. 

Be curious, not judgemental. 

Edited by So Sad Simon
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, So Sad Simon said:

Stupid comment. Maybe wait for the full announcement before passing judgement. 

Be curious, not judgemental. 

Considering we got another headliner that is more sub material, I can understand his frustration

As a rule of thumb, headliner should always be someone who people will pay day tickets to attend. 

Last year you had Imagine Dragons and Billie as big acts. This year we have absolutely no one in that category.

21 minutes ago, iamdebrii said:

there's no point in judging the line-up without seeing the bigger picture. i'm not the biggest liam gallagher fan but with a good few acts before it may turn out to be a good day

We already have 5 out of 6 headliners.. that one remaining would have to be out of this world to make this better

Also, we have most of the sub cards as well so I'd say we are 80% there in terms of relevant acts (heads and subs)

Considering we currently have at least 2-3 headliners that would ordinarily be subs, I don't see that flipping around where we get subs that would usually be headliners, which is something that would make this lineup worth buying any kind of tickets for

Edited by Dukkai

38 minutes ago, Dukkai said:

Considering we got another headliner that is more sub material, I can understand his frustration

As a rule of thumb, headliner should always be someone who people will pay day tickets to attend. 

Last year you had Imagine Dragons and Billie as big acts. This year we have absolutely no one in that category.

I can too, but in a likely announcement of around 35 acts we 'know' 5. A lot of festivals are struggling with headliners this year, maybe Sziget is going to stack the undercard. I'd say Editors, Raye and Mo are strong undercard acts and the kind mostly missing in announcement one. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, So Sad Simon said:

I can too, but in a likely announcement of around 35 acts we 'know' 5. A lot of festivals are struggling with headliners this year, maybe Sziget is going to stack the undercard. I'd say Editors, Raye and Mo are strong undercard acts and the kind mostly missing in announcement one. 

Again, point is to sell tickets (from their side).. I doubt undercard will do that, no matter how strong they are

That is what headliners are for

Also, I don't think others are struggling, I can see others are having decent lineups. I think Sziget is simply betting on the wrong crowd and acts.

I'm not unhappy with the 5 last names we got, because I have already accept the fact that Sziget made the choice to spend LESS on the line up budget. That's a FACT, we must deal with it.

The last big shot was Foo Fighters in 2019 (trust me, they are expensive.. way more than Imagine Dragons or Billie).

So considering that, we should now take a look at the undercard way more than we used to ; the first wave was very poor, everyone agree on that. I think even Sziget themselves, they're not stupid. Why do you think they don't communicate about this edition being the 30th... they're kind of ashamed..

So the 6 first names we got from the second wave (Skrillex, L.Gallagher, Tom Odell, Raye, Editors and Mo) aren't that bad (except Liam as a headliner, this is too much). I'm just saying, let's be patient , maybe they'll be clever and get the best undercards names they can get.

Edited by Matt86
6*

I think Raye/ editors / Tom Odell / MØ is a nice undercard. Liam Gallagher as a headliner is very weak but they can probably pull it off for a UK audience as he’s headlining Reading festival too.

I think the undercard will shape up nicely, but it’s certainly the weakest set of headliners that Sziget has had for a long time. Assuming skrillex is added too, it will be 7 headliners, so there will be one co-headline, like last year.

Fred again / Skrillex / Stormzy / Liam Gallagher / Sam Smith 

so we are only waiting now for the female headliner to complete the line up.

given Lana is ruled out, there are only a few options left who are touring this year on other festivals:

•Doja cat has finished her European run by end of July but has nothing booked during Sziget, so is available but unlikely.
•Dua Lipa - headlining in Europe in July, but not august. I think she’s possibly the most likely candidate.

•Sza- headlining European shows but performing a festival in Canada a few days before Sziget, available during Sziget. She’s unlikely but possible.

•Ice spice- got a run of shows in July, but not august. Possibly not big enough to headline but could co-headline.

Paramore are busy during Sziget in Vienna and Olivia Rodrigo is also away in America, so they are also ruled out.

i think it will be dua lipa , but it could be SZA, in my opinion.

I would be shocked if there was no female headliner this year.

2 hours ago, Dukkai said:

We already have 5 out of 6 headliners.. that one remaining would have to be out of this world to make this better

Also, we have most of the sub cards as well so I'd say we are 80% there in terms of relevant acts (heads and subs)

Considering we currently have at least 2-3 headliners that would ordinarily be subs, I don't see that flipping around where we get subs that would usually be headliners, which is something that would make this lineup worth buying any kind of tickets for

We were told there will be more than 6 headliners.

Do we know most of the subs? 50% of the line up has been announced.

Yeah, it doesn't look good right now, but we can complain when we see the full line up + i'm well happy with the undercards so far anyway.

6 hours ago, kristofm said:

We were told there will be more than 6 headliners.

Do we know most of the subs? 50% of the line up has been announced.

Yeah, it doesn't look good right now, but we can complain when we see the full line up + i'm well happy with the undercards so far anyway.

Well, I'm extremely sceptical about the more than 6 headliners line. 

Firstly, I believe they are limited by city how long the festival will last, so that means we can't have 2 headliner slots per day. That means they would be spliting the slots which is fine if the headliners are crappy like they are and they do not actually have enough material for the whole slot. However, for a proper headliner, 45 minutes is way too little.

Secondly, Skrillex is also suggested as a headliner next to Fred which means they could have sets together, but that is one headliner more than standard, not something ground breaking.

As for 50% of lineup being announced. Yes, but most of the relevant acts have been anounced. We know 5 out of 6 heads and from the hints we expect Mo, Tom Odell, Editors, Raye and Skrillex together with Louis Tomlinson from the initial announcement and you have at least 4 subs in there. So, out of 12 relevant slots/acts we probably already know 9, maybe even more.

The rest of the acts do not matter in the overall picture.

I admire and like your optimism, but in general I feel like last few pages is a giant copefest. As Matt already mentioned, it speaks volumes that they are not marketing this as 30th anniversary, they are aware it would backfire with how poor the lineup is.

• Upvote 1

The new names we got so far are better than the whole first announcement. (Except Liam as headliner.. really?) I hope they pull a strong undercard, that’s the only thing that can save it at this point.

Looking on the bright side, we won’t get long qeues at the bars and toilets, and we’ll have nice crowd spots as it’s not going to be really busy. But for Sziget, it’ll be a major financial downfall this year. 

9 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

I think Raye/ editors / Tom Odell / MØ is a nice undercard. Liam Gallagher as a headliner is very weak but they can probably pull it off for a UK audience as he’s headlining Reading festival too.

I think the undercard will shape up nicely, but it’s certainly the weakest set of headliners that Sziget has had for a long time. Assuming skrillex is added too, it will be 7 headliners, so there will be one co-headline, like last year.

Fred again / Skrillex / Stormzy / Liam Gallagher / Sam Smith 

so we are only waiting now for the female headliner to complete the line up.

given Lana is ruled out, there are only a few options left who are touring this year on other festivals:

•Doja cat has finished her European run by end of July but has nothing booked during Sziget, so is available but unlikely.
•Dua Lipa - headlining in Europe in July, but not august. I think she’s possibly the most likely candidate.

•Sza- headlining European shows but performing a festival in Canada a few days before Sziget, available during Sziget. She’s unlikely but possible.

•Ice spice- got a run of shows in July, but not august. Possibly not big enough to headline but could co-headline.

Paramore are busy during Sziget in Vienna and Olivia Rodrigo is also away in America, so they are also ruled out.

i think it will be dua lipa , but it could be SZA, in my opinion.

I would be shocked if there was no female headliner this year.

After analyzing how fast Pukkelpop tickets have been sold, I think that we are understimating how big are nowadays Fred Again and Sam Smith.

2 hours ago, Dukkai said:

Well, I'm extremely sceptical about the more than 6 headliners line. 

Firstly, I believe they are limited by city how long the festival will last, so that means we can't have 2 headliner slots per day. That means they would be spliting the slots which is fine if the headliners are crappy like they are and they do not actually have enough material for the whole slot. However, for a proper headliner, 45 minutes is way too little.

Nah, that would not mean that mate. 

Last year, we had 7 headliners for 6 days, it just simply meant that Lorde played in a subheadliner spot but was called a headliner.

In 2019, we had 8 headliners for 7 days, Twenty-One Pilots were named one of the headliners, but played from as early as 18:30 because Foo Fighters were also headlining that day.

So headliners are mostly playing from 21:15, but not always, you can have two headliner in one day, and that means one of them starts early. It's not uncommon at Sziget.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, branvan said:

Does anybody know, is it possible to sell tickets with ticketswap? I remember my ID got checked in the last years when getting the wristband... 

It should be, because you sell the voucher on ticketswap with the QR code, you show it and then get the wristband, and they ask for your ID at the time of getting the wristband. So it's fine. (edit: so they don't ask your ID to see if it's matching your voucher, they're asking for your ID so they can put the image into the microchip in the wristband as far as i know)

A friend of mine came with tickets bought on Ticketswap in the past two years, it was fine both times.

Edited by kristofm

5 minutes ago, kristofm said:

It should be, because you sell the voucher on ticketswap with the QR code, you show it and then get the wristband, and they ask for your ID at the time of getting the wristband. So it's fine. (edit: so they don't ask your ID to see if it's matching your voucher, they're asking for your ID so they can put the image into the microchip in the wristband as far as i know)

A friend of mine came with tickets bought on Ticketswap in the past two years, it was fine both times.

Thank you! So the name on the ticket doesn't matter and doesn't have to fit with the name of the person getting the wristband, correct? I can imagine, this year you can get cheap early-bird-tickets on ticketswap... Unless there will be a huge second wave 🙂 

24 minutes ago, branvan said:

Thank you! So the name on the ticket doesn't matter and doesn't have to fit with the name of the person getting the wristband, correct? I can imagine, this year you can get cheap early-bird-tickets on ticketswap... Unless there will be a huge second wave 🙂 

You’re right. TicketSwap invalidates the original ticket and hands out a brand new one with the buyers name. 
Recent years you could get pretty good deals via TicketSwap as the festival was approaching. I don’t think this year’s lineup will change that. 

25 minutes ago, branvan said:

Yeah I think so. I don't think my friend's done anything special when he bought it, he just got it online and went for the wristband I guess.

1 hour ago, johnybegood said:

After analyzing how fast Pukkelpop tickets have been sold, I think that we are understimating how big are nowadays Fred Again and Sam Smith.

i agree with that.

last year everyone talked sh*t about ID when they were annouced but they sold more tickets then billie.