Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

17 minutes ago, hallamer said:

if not, is it just a case of continuously checking the site or do they do another drop like yesterday? 

If it's like last year, they *might* do another drop of places that have gone back into the pot.  But that's likely not until after the SeeTickets resale - last year Oxfam didn't release the places until May.  I think there were few, if any, incidental Glastonbury places between Feb and May...

44 minutes ago, This_Fields_Good said:

If it's like last year, they *might* do another drop of places that have gone back into the pot.  But that's likely not until after the SeeTickets resale - last year Oxfam didn't release the places until May.  I think there were few, if any, incidental Glastonbury places between Feb and May...

Ahh ok. Bit of a risk then given the see tickets resale is likely after the 8 week cut off for getting the oxfam deposit back! 

6 minutes ago, hallamer said:

Ahh ok. Bit of a risk then given the see tickets resale is likely after the 8 week cut off for getting the oxfam deposit back! 

It's normally the other way around by a few days.  You can usually get a refund from Oxfam if you get a resale ticket. 

Massive thanks to everyone who’s contributed to this thread, I’m really really chuffed to see all the messages saying that people have managed to hook a volunteering place.  And best of all, from a purely selfish perspective, so have i 😎 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

This might be a bit of a dumb question, but here goes...

I've only worked Glastonbury which is 3 music days over 5 public days.
I'm thinking about trying Oxfam Stewarding at, say Bearded, Beautiful Days or Latitude, all of which may be just 3 public days...

So... if you expect to be doing 3 x 8 hour shifts, each day will be : 8 hours working, X hours sleeping, and (16 - X) hours of free time ?
i.e. you work every day ?

1 minute ago, This_Fields_Good said:

I'm thinking about trying Oxfam Stewarding at, say Bearded, Beautiful Days or Latitude, all of which may be just 3 public days...

So... if you expect to be doing 3 x 8 hour shifts, each day will be : 8 hours working, X hours sleeping, and (16 - X) hours of free time ?

No idea about Bearded or latitude, but BD is effectively a 4 day event (punters are allowed in on Thursday), so stewards will be needed on the Thursday and Monday.

32 minutes ago, This_Fields_Good said:

All of the festivals you named have 4 public days, and both Bearded and BDs have the potential for a Monday shift as well.

Latitude doesn't have a Monday shift (or at least didn't when I was there), but Oxfam are involved on the gates so most people will have at least one of their shifts on Thursday.

34 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

No idea about Bearded or latitude, but BD is effectively a 4 day event (punters are allowed in on Thursday), so stewards will be needed on the Thursday and Monday.

Of the 3 of them, BDs has by far the least happening on the Thursday.

Bearded has music on 2 of the 3 biggest stages, and Latitude has a decent amount of the smaller stages open.

3 minutes ago, deadponyclub said:

Anyone know how long it usually takes Oxfam to restore the profile section on their website?

It'll be after the shop and campaign stuff - I would anticipate next week sometime, maybe the week after.  There's no hurry to get it completed though (other than your reference) - things like rostering don't happen until quite close to the festivals.

Edited by jfaragher

3 hours ago, This_Fields_Good said:

You can get shifts Fri,Sat and Sunday yeah. 

23 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

It'll be after the shop and campaign stuff - I would anticipate next week sometime, maybe the week after.  There's no hurry to get it completed though (other than your reference) - things like rostering don't happen until quite close to the festivals.

thanks, how long do you normally get to complete the referencing?

10 hours ago, thewomble said:

Do these shifts start from the Wednesday? I’d also applied in a slight panic without knowing what it entailed 😬 

If you get a Wednesday shift you are very, very lucky - not all bars are open Wed. That said, I got a Wed shift my first year and Thurs shift last year, so I've done very well with it. Even if you're not lucky, you can sometimes swap. It's upto your individual bar manager but most are pretty chill about it as long as your swap turns up. Just don't be off your face.

12 hours ago, MrZigster said:

That's good to know. Shelter volunteers working the same bars didn't get any choices regarding bars or shifts.

I think you'd have to be mad to choose Stonebridge. Miles away from camp, uphill and insanely non stop busy at times. Some people prefer busy over bored  I know. I worked The Green Bar on Williams Green on the Thursday once. Bloody mental non stop pint pouring. Would hate Wednesday and Thursday at Stonebridge I'm sure.

Hoping Avalon will take my four times volunteering with Shelter into account.

Welcome to both eFests and volunteering ☺️.

That's not true, that's who I was! I can't remember how it came about, maybe Jeanie mentioned it in the training, but if you had a strong preference you could email and they would try (not promise) to accommodate it.

As for Stonebridge, I mostly agree, except the Saturday morning slot for Four Tet every year which is just the loveliest vibes. Having said that, I enjoyed enjoying it rather than working it last year! 

7 minutes ago, Supreme2 said:

cant remember but do you request early shifts for glasto in profile section or did i miss it when applying? cant remember (oxfam) - thankyou!

It's part of the profile section.

From memory it's a tick box of drop down or summat indicating availability

Edited by philipsteak

38 minutes ago, deadponyclub said:

thanks, how long do you normally get to complete the referencing?

plenty of time - when the profiles open up you complete your details and the email address of your referee.  It's an automated function so your referee will receive an email straight away to give some basic answers in a web form. 

7 minutes ago, Supreme2 said:

cant remember but do you request early shifts for glasto in profile section or did i miss it when applying? cant remember (oxfam) - thankyou!

yes - everything like that is added on your profile for the specific festival (early shifts, Monday shifts, car parking passes, bringing campervans, supervising etc)  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Talcroft said:

That's not true, that's who I was! I can't remember how it came about, maybe Jeanie mentioned it in the training, but if you had a strong preference you could email and they would try (not promise) to accommodate it.

As for Stonebridge, I mostly agree, except the Saturday morning slot for Four Tet every year which is just the loveliest vibes. Having said that, I enjoyed enjoying it rather than working it last year! 

True in my experience as best as I can recall. But, what year are we talking? I haven't volunteered since '19 and I think I missed the training that year by arguing that I'd already done it three times previously.

It was always arrive, get on the bus (or go to the shed if fortunate enough to be making your own way there), get told bars and teams and shifts. Cue lots of people begging for swaps.

I got really lucky 2016. Possibly the quietest bar on site, which was close to Gate C and off for all of the major bits I wanted to see. Wasn't swapping with no one. I'd ask for that bar again in an instant (though it's changed a bit now).

In fact everyone volunteering was lucky that year imo being on site pre Wednesday. T'was a messy one that.

Edited by MrZigster

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

True in my experience as best as I can recall. But, what year are we talking? I haven't volunteered since '19 and I think I missed the training that year by arguing that I'd already done it three times previously.

It was always arrive, get on the bus (or go to the shed if fortunate enough to be making your own way there), get told bars and teams and shifts. Cue lots of people begging for swaps.

I got really lucky 2016. Possibly the quietest bar on site, which was close to Gate C and off for all of the major bits I wanted to see. Wasn't swapping with no one. I'd ask for that bar again in an instant (though it's changed a bit now).

In fact everyone volunteering was lucky that year imo being on site pre Wednesday. T'was a messy one that.

Is it likely you'll work only Friday, Saturday & Sunday night shifts? In that case doesn't seem much point doing it.

7 hours ago, incident said:

Of the 3 of them, BDs has by far the least happening on the Thursday.

Bearded has music on 2 of the 3 biggest stages, and Latitude has a decent amount of the smaller stages open.

Yeah Bearded stuff is usually 4 bands from 7 or 8 pm on one of the tented stages.

9 hours ago, stuie said:

It's normally the other way around by a few days.  You can usually get a refund from Oxfam if you get a resale ticket. 

Cancel too many times over the years however and they flag you as a 'serial canceller'...

5 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Cancel too many times over the years however and they flag you as a 'serial canceller'...

I’m the other way round to be honest, I cancelled an actual Glasto ticket a few years back when I finally got a place with Oxfam! 

I didn’t manage to get a place at first and didn’t have priority that year, then my best mate who does FMS got me a guest ticket link which I took up but cancelled when I got my Oxfam spot. 

• Upvote 1