Volunteering 2024

Chazwozza

Just now, thewomble said:

Mad how hard it is to spend £360 and 7 days annual leave 😂😂

I have to admit one positive to take away is I didn’t need to put £360 on my credit card 🙈🫣 I’ve booked 3 weeks off for Glastonbury in case I get called up for the bin painting. Have everything set just no way in at the moment ahhhhh!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, BillieBobs said:

I have to admit one positive to take away is I didn’t need to put £360 on my credit card 🙈🫣 I’ve booked 3 weeks off for Glastonbury in case I get called up for the bin painting. Have everything set just no way in at the moment ahhhhh!!!

@Funkyfairy! Is a bin painter, may be worth getting in touch with her in case she can assist you in any way. I know that you are a very talented artist! 🤞🏻

1 hour ago, ilovelanegan said:

This was my plan but I accidentally refreshed the page - all gone the proceed button 😭

Me too. Even though I knew I didn’t want to. Last year I got mine on 31 May after a lovely efester notified me they were available. It’s not over yet 

21 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

@Funkyfairy! Is a bin painter, may be worth getting in touch with her in case she can assist you in any way. I know that you are a very talented artist! 🤞🏻

Thank you so much 😍 I’ve already spoken to Funkyfairy, she gave me some amazingly useful info. I’ve applied and been accepted on the reserves list. However it’s rare spaces come up so just need to be patient. It’s my dream job at Glastonbury 😍

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BillieBobs said:

Thank you so much 😍 I’ve already spoken to Funkyfairy, she gave me some amazingly useful info. I’ve applied and been accepted on the reserves list. However it’s rare spaces come up so just need to be patient. It’s my dream job at Glastonbury 😍

Thats good to hear, fingers crossed for you! 🖌️🤞

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm considering volunteering for Oxfam at Boomtown. I've never stewarded for Oxfam before. Would anyone recommend Boomtown to steward? Anything I should consider before pushing ahead with it? What are the typical shifts?

One thing to consider is that your overnight shift could quite likely be 11:45pm-8am. Not a fan of those ones as I think they screw up 2 days of your festival.

55 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

One thing to consider is that your overnight shift could quite likely be 11:45pm-8am. Not a fan of those ones as I think they screw up 2 days of your festival.

Yeah.

If this is a big factor (and for me it increasingly is) then at Boomtown it may be worth considering MyCause instead, as they don't have overnight shifts for volunteers. The downside being that the roles are mostly on the Gates so are further away from the "action" / likely to be less interesting, and that it doesn't help guarantee you a spot at Glastonbury if that's a consideration.

15 minutes ago, thekiwi said:

Is anyone trying for Avalon crew bars aswell? Says they do 3 x 8 hour shifts but not sure if that'll be crap shifts

I had an email from them saying they’re doing a ballot and will let everyone know by the 21st. I registered my interest post T-Day panic so didn’t look at what the shifts are 😂🫣

1 hour ago, incident said:

Yeah.

If this is a big factor (and for me it increasingly is) then at Boomtown it may be worth considering MyCause instead, as they don't have overnight shifts for volunteers. The downside being that the roles are mostly on the Gates so are further away from the "action" / likely to be less interesting, and that it doesn't help guarantee you a spot at Glastonbury if that's a consideration.

The big downside of mycause is the charitable donation - your chosen charity will receive £30 for your 24 hours of work.

37 minutes ago, BillieBobs said:

Does anyone have any more information on the campaigner roles? It says applications open Thursday 8th. 

Have a look in the Oxfam Stewards Facebook group, there was a lengthy post on a thread recently about what to expect, how to apply and make a video etc 👍🏻

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, incident said:

Yeah.

I got this at Shambala, on the last day. Absolute f**king worst shift. Imagine getting to the end of a festival and then having to be awake until 8am sober. 

Edit: the worst part was I had to get public transport back so couldn't sleep after the shift. Pack up, shuttle to the train station and try not to sleep and miss the 3 changes.

Edited by Leyrulion

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I got this at Shambala, on the last day. Absolute f**king worst shift. Imagine getting to the end of a festival and then having to be awake until 8am sober. 

Edit: the worst part was I had to get public transport back so couldn't sleep after the shift. Pack up, shuttle to the train station and try not to sleep and miss the 3 changes.

Did the Monday shift one year at Shambala after about 2 hours sleep and then drove 200 miles.

55 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I've done that shift a couple of times on Lockups. I don't mind it, as it's the busiest overnight shift so the first half of it flies by!

Mind you, I do need a couple of hours kip afterwards before I can pack up and head for the coach!

2 hours ago, thekiwi said:

Is anyone trying for Avalon crew bars aswell? Says they do 3 x 8 hour shifts but not sure if that'll be crap shifts

Done it the last two years, it's a pretty sweet deal. Usually two earlies shift (11-7), and one late (7-3). Depending on the bar there are some middling shifts too. Latest finish is 3am, or 5am if you're in stonebridge bar. In previous years they've let you pick EITHER a bar, or a key shift to work/not work. Organisation is slightly different this time around though so can't promise it'll be this way. 

Just read the full 38 page thread, some really useful info so thanks everyone! 
We decided to do glasto from a workers point of view after having tickets for the last 4 years. People say you see the festival from a whole new perspective and we liked the idea of giving something back to charity.

managed to bag an Oxfam place for my girlfriend today but when I was confirming my payment it crashed, there are two pending payments in the account but only one confirmation email so I’m not confident.

Any tips on the best way to try and get a second oxfam space so we can volunteer together? 

6 hours ago, stuie said:

The big downside of mycause is the charitable donation - your chosen charity will receive £30 for your 24 hours of work.

Yup, someone is making a lot of money 🤑

5 hours ago, Talcroft said:

Done it the last two years, it's a pretty sweet deal. Usually two earlies shift (11-7), and one late (7-3). Depending on the bar there are some middling shifts too. Latest finish is 3am, or 5am if you're in stonebridge bar. In previous years they've let you pick EITHER a bar, or a key shift to work/not work. Organisation is slightly different this time around though so can't promise it'll be this way. 

That's good to know. Shelter volunteers working the same bars didn't get any choices regarding bars or shifts.

I think you'd have to be mad to choose Stonebridge. Miles away from camp, uphill and insanely non stop busy at times. Some people prefer busy over bored  I know. I worked The Green Bar on Williams Green on the Thursday once. Bloody mental non stop pint pouring. Would hate Wednesday and Thursday at Stonebridge I'm sure.

Hoping Avalon will take my four times volunteering with Shelter into account.

3 hours ago, hallamer said:

We decided to do glasto from a workers point of view after having tickets for the last 4 years. People say you see the festival from a whole new perspective and we liked the idea of giving something back to charity.

managed to bag an Oxfam place for my girlfriend today but when I was confirming my payment it crashed, there are two pending payments in the account but only one confirmation email so I’m not confident.

Any tips on the best way to try and get a second oxfam space so we can volunteer together? 

Welcome to both eFests and volunteering ☺️.

7 hours ago, Talcroft said:

Do these shifts start from the Wednesday? I’d also applied in a slight panic without knowing what it entailed 😬 

12 hours ago, Skip997 said:

Did the Monday shift one year at Shambala after about 2 hours sleep and then drove 200 miles.

Did the Monday shift at Glasto straight from Genosys closing at Block9 a few years back. 

I'm not in a hurry for a repeat of that experience! 

8 hours ago, hallamer said:

Welcome! Well done for reading 38 pages haha 

I'd say it might be worth contacting Oxfam - if you have a payment pending, it shows you got through and they *might* honour the reservation. 

Either way, don't give up hope - you'll be grand. 

28 minutes ago, stuie said:

Welcome! Well done for reading 38 pages haha 

I'd say it might be worth contacting Oxfam - if you have a payment pending, it shows you got through and they *might* honour the reservation. 

Either way, don't give up hope - you'll be grand. 

I wanted as much info as possible and this thread is a gold mine! 

I’ve messaged them on Facebook so fingers crossed.

if not, is it just a case of continuously checking the site or do they do another drop like yesterday?