Legends Slot 2024

FuzzyDunlop

On 1/31/2024 at 8:07 AM, The Nal said:

😲

The legendary Joni Mitchell will perform her first Los Angeles headlining show in over 24 years at the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday, October 19 – joined by the Joni Jam. 

FB_IMG_1706688343488.thumb.jpg.30778fcc061bbe0f218955861c9c8396.jpg

Just saw the clip of her playing "Both Sides Now" at the Grammy's.  Was amazing to hear her sing again. 

If you look at it purely from a performance perspective then the band and backing singers are doing quite a lot of heavy lifting and her voice is a bit wobbly in places.

All of which is totally understandable and to be expected when you consider her age and how ill she was.

In terms of the kind of presence and emotion you get from it, it is off the scale and that is always going to be more important to me than something being technically perfect. 

Be interested at how long she will perform at the Joni jam as I think the physicality of a long live performance beyond a handful of songs will be challenging.  That said, If I was around I would go even if it was for 1 song to be honest.

Sadly I don't think she will be flying to the UK to perform at a farm though.

35 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Just saw the clip of her playing "Both Sides Now" at the Grammy's.  Was amazing to hear her sing again. 

If you look at it purely from a performance perspective then the band and backing singers are doing quite a lot of heavy lifting and her voice is a bit wobbly in places.

All of which is totally understandable and to be expected when you consider her age and how ill she was.

In terms of the kind of presence and emotion you get from it, it is off the scale and that is always going to be more important to me than something being technically perfect. 

Be interested at how long she will perform at the Joni jam as I think the physicality of a long live performance beyond a handful of songs will be challenging.  That said, If I was around I would go even if it was for 1 song to be honest.

Sadly I don't think she will be flying to the UK to perform at a farm though.

Yes I can't imagine we'll ever see her in Europe but it gladdens my soul to see her back performing. It's great that these days some of the greatest get to see just how loved and influential they are whilst they are still alive and I think it's wonderful how other musicians effectively brought her back to a decent quality of life.

• Upvote 2

Now if we could get Tracy Chapman at Glastonbury that would be wonderful. Tracy Chapman the album has been one of my favourite albums forever. The first grown up album that I loved as a kid. It's a life ambition to see her live. This morning seeing the grammy performance has made me dare to dream. Please Emily!! For Me!!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Chapman knocked it out of the park, though not sure she's got enough to fill a legends slot.

Would definitely take her anywhere though. Bucket list shout.

I'd rather she wasn't a legend slot but I would go to any stage at any time to see her. If you search Tracy Chapman on this forum you'll see I have been begging for her for years. It's probably the most important album in my life and to see her live would be a dream come true.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Now if we could get Tracy Chapman at Glastonbury that would be wonderful. Tracy Chapman the album has been one of my favourite albums forever. The first grown up album that I loved as a kid. It's a life ambition to see her live. This morning seeing the grammy performance has made me dare to dream. Please Emily!! For Me!!

You're absolutely right, I've been playing the album again over recent months. Every song is ace. Still think it's extremely unlikely we will see her but at least she's made an appearance after so many years.

Edited by Avalon_Fields
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

You're absolutely right, I've been playing the album again over recent months. Every song is ace. Still think it's extremely unlikely we will see her but at least she's made an appearance after so many years.

I'd take her fourth down on the Saturday.

2 hours ago, Monty Pythagoras said:

Give Costello the legend slot IMO

His 2013 set was amazing, early afternoon Saturday I think (now checking….)

Saturday 5:15pm (third down). Funny how that feels like “early afternoon” at Glastonbury 11 years on.

My Clashfinder had “Williams Green Launch Party” highlighted for the Thursday evening. Sad that it didn’t make it to a decade old, in fact I guess only just over half a dozen iterations with fallow and Covid years lost.

Edited by Neville Street

31 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

His 2013 set was amazing, early afternoon Saturday I think (now checking….)

Saturday 5:15pm (third down). Funny how that feels like “early afternoon” at Glastonbury 11 years on.

My Clashfinder had “Williams Green Launch Party” highlighted for the Thursday evening. Sad that it didn’t make it to a decade old, in fact I guess only just over half a dozen iterations with fallow and Covid years lost.

Such a great set - remember turning up with a few friends who weren't that fussed and they were completely won over by the end. 

Just seen a snippet of Annie Lennox's Sinead O'Connor tribute at the Grammys as well and I wouldn't say no to that either. Really pleased she finished with calls for ceasefire now because that was the most Sinead part of the tribute!! No way at this moment in time would Sinead have missed the opportunity to say something.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There was a tent there previously though - the Queen's Head I think, sponsored by Q Magazine

Yes indeed. Although I can’t recall there being too many bands there (could be wrong). More of an Indie disco I think 

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

I'd do my usual trick of mocking up a setlist, but I actually need to get out of the house shortly, so it'll have to wait.

I've gotten myself quite excited about the idea of it now as well!!