Fitness for Glastonbury 2024

gigpusher

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 9:55 AM, dotdash79 said:

I started using Noom a couple of weeks ago and I’ve lost half a stone using it. it’s basically made me aware of what I’m eating and whilst my main meals were okay, my snacking is what’s doing me in. 

really starting to see results now. 

So I’m 6 weeks in on Noom and I’ve lost a stone. I been exercising a lot and my resting hart rate is back down to the low 50s, my sleep apnea has almost gone, and my blood pressure is almost back to normal, so I’ve been able to reduce my bp tablets dose. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 10:42 PM, dotdash79 said:

So I’m 6 weeks in on Noom and I’ve lost a stone. I been exercising a lot and my resting hart rate is back down to the low 50s, my sleep apnea has almost gone, and my blood pressure is almost back to normal, so I’ve been able to reduce my bp tablets dose. 

Brilliant to hear the health benefits! Well done! I'm officially on a mission to lose a stone for Glasto 24 now.

1). Health reasons/managing hormones which have got out of control!

2). Lighter work for my dancing feet 💃

3). I'm trying not to buy ANYTHING new, i'm going to upcycle old outfits to be sustainable...SO...I need to fit back into them!!

See you in the fields healthy and strong folks!! (Ready to wreck ourselves 🤣)

• 2 weeks later...

Just the 1 lb of this month making it 61lb's so far this year. I was on holiday for 2 weeks of the month so bloody happy to have lost anything. Did lots of nice walks on holiday but also ate lots of nice puddings (it's all about balance). Very pleased that I came home and straight back to eating healthily again. Will be pleased if I can just maintain until the end of December and not put on too much over Christmas then I will start afresh in the New Year.

My steps are not on average of 19545 for the year so also pretty happy with that.

55 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Just the 1 lb of this month making it 61lb's so far this year. I was on holiday for 2 weeks of the month so bloody happy to have lost anything. Did lots of nice walks on holiday but also ate lots of nice puddings (it's all about balance). Very pleased that I came home and straight back to eating healthily again. Will be pleased if I can just maintain until the end of December and not put on too much over Christmas then I will start afresh in the New Year.

My steps are not on average of 19545 for the year so also pretty happy with that.

Excellent.

That's the important bit. And for me, probably the part I'm most proud of. Yes, the initial weight loss and remission, but the fact I've so far kept it up. And I've not been perfect, who is? I've had holidays too. And been too busy to cook something healthy. Or just felt lazy or wanted a treat. But then I've not gone back to the bad old ways. It's a one off. Back on it tomorrow. Total mindset change.

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Touch wood my back seems pain free … back to swimming before the chaos of the January fitness bods at the gym . 100 lengths done . Might even try rowing again post Xmas 

The chaos at the gym round here starts in September, when the students reappear.

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Excellent.

That's the important bit. And for me, probably the part I'm most proud of. Yes, the initial weight loss and remission, but the fact I've so far kept it up. And I've not been perfect, who is? I've had holidays too. And been too busy to cook something healthy. Or just felt lazy or wanted a treat. But then I've not gone back to the bad old ways. It's a one off. Back on it tomorrow. Total mindset change.

Yes last year I probably put on a stone between November and January because I came back from Christmas thinking f**k it, it’s nearly Christmas and continuing to eat badly all the way through so totally agree it’s a complete mindset change. Did some lovely walks whilst I was away as well. 

4 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Touch wood my back seems pain free … back to swimming before the chaos of the January fitness bods at the gym . 100 lengths done . Might even try rowing again post Xmas 

Great news! Hope it holds up for you! Well done on the swimming as well. 

IMG_5147.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ooh looks like I haven't updated this in a couple of month. I did my December weigh in early (so I could stuff my face for Christmas guilt free)

I lost 2.8 lb's in December and in January I lost whatever I gained over Christmas and New Year and another 1.4 lb's.

My average step count for last year was 19,760. I have started January trying to do at least 20k steps a day and so far am on track. I won't manage that all year but thought it would be a nice little kickstart for the New Year and January is traditionally a slightly quieter time for me at work. I am on track to do around 750k steps this month.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

image.thumb.jpeg.fbe00aad2614c52f58945978a1bfe4ec.jpeg

Going well so far.... but a long long way to go yet... I have to lose another stone at least before Nemesis reopens in the second half of March... That's the target I've set myself for now, being able to sit in any seat and easily do my own restraint unaided on opening day... 🙈🤣

Then I'll set a Glasto target. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Good work both of you.

Interesting time for this to pop back up. I've got my annual diabetes review tomorrow. I mean, technically I don't have diabetes anymore but I'm more at risk and I still get the reviews to make sure I'm still OK. Be interesting to see what my numbers are now. I'm maintaining my weight and getting plenty of exercise in still (mostly in the form of hiking still. 122 of 214 Wainwrights ticked off now) but not being nearly as strict as I was with the diet, with a few more carbs creeping in, even sugary treats. Essentially I want to see what happens. Whether having repaired some of the damage done I can have a  slightly more "normal" diet or whether I have to keep being strict. Basically I'm conducting a bit of an experiment on myself. Not sure how my GP will feel about it but be interesting to see.

Had an odd December. Was signed off for most of it with work related stress. But, on the positive side, I didn't revert to my bad old ways, carried on eating (mostly) healthily and made a point of getting out for a decent walk each day, no matter how grim the weather. And f**k me it was grim some days. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Good work both of you.

Interesting time for this to pop back up. I've got my annual diabetes review tomorrow. I mean, technically I don't have diabetes anymore but I'm more at risk and I still get the reviews to make sure I'm still OK. Be interesting to see what my numbers are now. I'm maintaining my weight and getting plenty of exercise in still (mostly in the form of hiking still. 122 of 214 Wainwrights ticked off now) but not being nearly as strict as I was with the diet, with a few more carbs creeping in, even sugary treats. Essentially I want to see what happens. Whether having repaired some of the damage done I can have a  slightly more "normal" diet or whether I have to keep being strict. Basically I'm conducting a bit of an experiment on myself. Not sure how my GP will feel about it but be interesting to see.

Had an odd December. Was signed off for most of it with work related stress. But, on the positive side, I didn't revert to my bad old ways, carried on eating (mostly) healthily and made a point of getting out for a decent walk each day, no matter how grim the weather. And f**k me it was grim some days. 

It's the wind that's held me back from walking oftentimes. I can handle rain, and cold, but the wind has been like nothing I can remember here for the time of year. 

Good luck with the check up, not that I think you'll need it. If you're maintaining weight then you're using what you're consuming, that has to count for something right? 

12 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

It's the wind that's held me back from walking oftentimes. I can handle rain, and cold, but the wind has been like nothing I can remember here for the time of year. 

Good luck with the check up, not that I think you'll need it. If you're maintaining weight then you're using what you're consuming, that has to count for something right? 

Generally I've been staying low level as the wind has been crazy but I've managed to get up a few fells and struggled to stand on a couple of occasions.

Theoretically it should count for something, but I just have to be so careful with the blood sugars. My understanding is I've put right some of the damage done and so my body should be able to cope with a, for want of a better term, normal carb/sugars intake. But it's not just how much I eat, it's what I eat.

I guess we'll see.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

That's a pretty amazing positive so well done you! Times of stress are when I tend to suffer a lot so keeping it together dietwise when you don't feel great gets you a very big well done from me!

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

That's a pretty amazing positive so well done you! Times of stress are when I tend to suffer a lot so keeping it together dietwise when you don't feel great gets you a very big well done from me!

Thanks!

Yeah, it was pretty significant for me. Really highlighted that this was a permanent lifestyle change rather than just a "diet". Just got a totally different mindset

• Like 3

Getting over emergency intestine surgery, was reasonably "fit" before but not necessarily healthy. Not something I want to risk going through again so need a bit of a lifestyle change, quitting alcohol, less sugar & caffeine, healthy eating and generally trying to reduce amount of stress in my life.

Lost about 8kg due to the surgery, was a bit overweight anyhow but have probably lost more muscle than fat. Can exercise again now so goal is to get the muscle back without putting weight on. Hopefully as we go into spring the weather will improve so can get more time on bike and out walking. Never been into gyms but trying to get back into exercising at home again as well.

Edited by I am Jon

Over 20k steps for every day in January done! Hoping to keep my annual average above 20k but not intending to do 20k every day as it’s been a bit of a slog some days but was just a little challenge to keep me on track in January. 

IMG_5655.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Over 20k steps for every day in January done! Hoping to keep my annual average above 20k but not intending to do 20k every day as it’s been a bit of a slog some days but was just a little challenge to keep me on track in January. 

IMG_5655.png

Bloody hell... And that's putting it mildly... Monthly Avg of 25k per day!!!!

Well done!

10 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Bloody hell... And that's putting it mildly... Monthly Avg of 25k per day!!!!

Well done!

There have been many sacrifices to the weather gods in that. If I don't get a dry glastonbury I'll be fumin'

• Upvote 1

What shoes do you have? I sometimes reach the 20+ steps in the weekend but everyday ...ouch.

For my update, I had some pains after GL that meant I stopped running for a while, then came summer heat, thenlong holidays with nice food, Christmas... And when I tried to put on a pair of jeans I hadn't worn for a while beginning of Januray...well... there was no way I could button them. I'm guessing 4/5 kilos extra... So restarted the running, am back to easily do a 5k but I signed up as well with a cheapo sport school so that I could still sport if I had a bit of pain/it rained/it's too hot outside.

I think I'm a bit tighter around the belly but have not dared the jeans test just yet.