Why so difficult to get tickets!!

Kazual

I've spoken to people who decided to boycott the festival in 2008 after the shambles of 2007.

i went in 08 and it was my favourite glastonbury to date, despite the weather.

personally think they should go back to keeping the line-up under wraps until right before the show. there are more than enough people who want tickets, for the line-up not to be the deciding factor any more.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, goldfishboy said:

I've spoken to people who decided to boycott the festival in 2008 after the shambles of 2007.

i went in 08 and it was my favourite glastonbury to date, despite the weather.

personally think they should go back to keeping the line-up under wraps until right before the show. there are more than enough people who want tickets, for the line-up not to be the deciding factor any more.

I always rate 2008 as one of my best Glastonbury’s - think the tickets not selling out until just as the festival started helped as anyone could get a ticket so was more of a mixture of people there.

10 minutes ago, 2019 said:

Apologies if this has been asked before. 

How does Love Fields manage to get tickets for their high-end packages? This appears grossly unfair.

https://www.thelovefields.com/

There’s a lot of corporations who get allocated hospitality. Just have to accept that unfortunately the festival will always have ways in if you can pay that much 

46 minutes ago, 2019 said:

Apologies if this has been asked before. 

How does Love Fields manage to get tickets for their high-end packages? This appears grossly unfair.

https://www.thelovefields.com/

The festival allocates thousands of tickets (and increasing) to hospitality for rich customers, companies, celebrities etc. There's a place that runs a hotel off site and will helicopter you in to the festival every day which includes tickets. You can buy hospitality tickets without a package if you know where to go (or have access to a good concierge service because you're rich), they run about £5k each and get you access to hospitality areas for camping etc. I would assume the package that includes hotel and helicopter shuttles to the site will be more than that (it's price on request so I don't have an amount, and if you have to ask...).

2 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

Should be a glasto quiz before you get to pay. Make it really hard as well

Good idea, or there could be a 2000 word essay to complete on how well you understand and intend to comply with the "Love the Farm, Leave no Trace" pledge. To be marked and graded by Emily and Michael or other family members as they see fit. Anyone getting less than, say 60% for their essay is a "no go" for tickets that year.

Yes I am being a bit tongue in cheek in suggesting this but it riles me to see the continuing mass of litter etc. If only there was a way of tracing the culprits!!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AdrianH said:

Needs 2-3 years of dogshit weather! These sunny ones have made everyone and their dog want to try.

Doesn't matter how many of you suggest this...and believe me plenty do...there have been numerous times after wet years where it sold out very quickly. 

20 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Michael didn't become a millionaire from cows 😛 

Well, he inherited a large farm. 

If he simply wanted to be a millionaire he didn't need to do this and in the process donate many many millions to duality. 

A lot of people just aren’t dedicated enough to put everything in place to get a ticket ( not necessarily pointing at the OP ).

Research best methods, prepare days/weeks in advance, don’t get hammered on the Saturday night before main sale etc

After doing all this it still comes down to luck on the day but at least you know you done all you could.

Some people think they can just open the lap top 5 minutes before on a Sunday morning and be sorted.

My sister does it every year, zero preparation, gets pissed on a Saturday night and fumbles with the laptop 5 minutes before and guess what? Never gets a ticket 😂

She then has the audacity to complain that it’s the same people getting tickets every year, it’s unfair and there should be a ballot system.

24 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Oh dear lord, the history of the festival isn't any secret.  He didn't start the festival for any other reason than to make money.  He saw others doing the same thing (Bath Festival) and making money and thought he could do the same.  Let's not pretend otherwise.  There isn't any shame in it.  

Ah bless, let's tick off another subject where despite your confidence your ignorance knows no bounds. 

• Downvote 1

This question is giving me vibes of a Somerset live / buzzfeed style researcher who's trying to put together a clickbaity article of glasto ticket buying "hacks".

Apologies to the OP if I'm wrong. Maybe you just need to F5 more? Especially in the years that it didn't sell out in hours.

Until this year I've never struggled to get a ticket, usually securing them in the first coach sale. Last year I got through again for friends in the resale.

This year I didn't get a sniff in any sale, and did everything I could, including joining a ticket group. The resale in particular was brutally tough with the new payment system. I appreciate I may have just been 'unlucky' but some people who still think persistence will guarantee them a ticket are in for a rude awakening in October, unfortunately.

That said, a ballot is the worst idea imaginable. It would just become like Wimbledon or the London Marathon. Everyone would be trying their luck, and you'd end up going once a decade.

1 hour ago, essjay2009 said:

The festival allocates thousands of tickets (and increasing) to hospitality for rich customers, companies, celebrities etc. There's a place that runs a hotel off site and will helicopter you in to the festival every day which includes tickets. You can buy hospitality tickets without a package if you know where to go (or have access to a good concierge service because you're rich), they run about £5k each and get you access to hospitality areas for camping etc. I would assume the package that includes hotel and helicopter shuttles to the site will be more than that (it's price on request so I don't have an amount, and if you have to ask...).

that sh*t is just wrong.

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I will take your apology now 😛 

Yeah, don't hold your breath...or do 😉 

I have no chips, except in my belly, but I do have great respect for a fella who based on his values and faith decides to use his farm to have a big party, including things he would probably rather not have happen, so that he can donate many many millions to charity.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

First time I went back in the stone age sometime it was super easy to get a ticket and super easy to get a camping spot and super easy to get decent drugs and proper super fun, travellers and dogs and riots and everything you could possibly want. Those were the days.

No Shangri La though.

(and the ticket was £35)

8 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yeah, don't hold your breath...or do 😉 

I have no chips, except in my belly, but I do have great respect for a fella who based on his values and faith decides to use his farm to have a big party, including things he would probably rather not have happen, so that he can donate many many millions to charity.

I’m 99.9% sure I saw on one of the documentary’s he said he started the festival as a way of making money as the farming industry wasn’t profitable.

Think it was the interview with John Craven from 1970.

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

and let's be honest...  his donations to the village have been more about keeping them sweet so he could keep the show and money rolling in... 

It's not a bad thing but I do struggle with the jesus like status some people have for him.  Cracking festival but plenty of companies contribute to charity.

cnd , greenpeace , wateraid donations also keeping the locals sweet ?

It might be unpopular but this is what Michael said, some years the farm has propped up the festival and other years the festival has propped up the farm.

Don't get me wrong, I think he loves having people come and have a great times, and if he was purely out for the money probably wouldn't give away so much to charity, but there's a reasonable chance if he'd not started the festival the dairy farm would have gone bust a long time ago 

14 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

and let's be honest...  his donations to the village have been more about keeping them sweet so he could keep the show and money rolling in... 

That's not even what I referred to.  I said charity

And no - referring to clearing an overdraft and you extrapolating that as this is a cracking scheme to become a millionaire is very far from something I'd ever apologise to you for.